GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2023 3:06 pm  #241

Re: Other Games Thread

That was an incredible finish DMVPiranha.

Pretty incredulous finish to Brayon's season as well.  First, let's understand why he played at 4 high schools in 4 years.  He played at his local high school, moved to a more prominent league with better competition, then moved to a national powerhouse, only to have that program Brayon's senior season due to Covid.  While I understand the "four schools in four years, what's wrong with the kid" mentality, in Brayon's case, he had good reasons for making each of his moves.

Archie Miller has had demonstrated success working with point guards and it's clear that Brayon was a bit too unconventional for the coach's tastes.  I was just commenting the other day that now that Brayon no longer plays with James, he's now doing his best JBIV impersonation at URI as measured by shot attempts.  Brayon had already been benched for a game earlier in the season, and had played quite well since that benching.  Nevertheless, I'll join DMV in suggesting that this was likerly nothing more than a coach and player failing to be on the same page.   

2/13/2023 3:55 pm  #242

Very talented player at GW and Rhode Island, lot easier to root for former GW players if they land somewhere outside of The A10! 
Good luck to Brayon in doing so

2/13/2023 4:27 pm  #243

It'll be 7 schools in 7 years once he transfers this offseason. In high school he was at DeMatha freshman year and transferred before the season started to Bishop O'Connell. Before his junior year he went to Huntington Prep and once COVID hit he moved to National Christian Academy. Then obviously GW and URI in college.

There's so many issues with going to 7 schools from the age of 14 to 20 even if you take basketball out of the equation. There comes a point when you need a certain amount of stability in your life and I think the absence of continuity has hurt his development as a basketball player and a human being. 

I believe he is an immensely talented player who obviously has a big personality (I'm not surprised Archie Miller didn't put up with it). He was on a much longer leash under JC but I remember at the beginning of last season JC and Freeman both saying that he needed to learn to take practices more seriously and actually pay attention (although I'm sure this isn't uncommon, not taking practice seriously certainly isn't a good trait to have for a highly touted recruit). 

​Some of the things I've heard and gleaned from afar from his time at Rhody reflect really really poorly on him and many of his issues are egged on (and sometimes made worse) by those close to him. No way he comes back to GW but a "what if Caputo convinced him to stay" could be an interesting one. FWIW, basically every student I know that actively follows the men's basketball team hates him because of his move within the conference and subsequent shit talking over social media to a player he has no history with in Max Edwards.

I was a huge fan of Brayon while he was at GW and loved watching him play although he clearly had his flaws. I was excited to see how he did against GW next week but I guess it wasn't to be. I'm very curious to see where he ends up but I have to think it will be a low major after this fiasco at URI.

He has since deleted his Twitter account and deleted all of his photos on Instagram but first posted a statement that did not necessarily read like something I'd expect Brayon to write:

"'Sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination.' My time at URI was not wasted, it's a great campus filled with great people in which I will continue my academic studies. I will surely grow from this experience and continue to follow my dreams while maintaining my morals and principles. There are no mistakes in life, only lessons."

2/13/2023 5:13 pm  #244

gwstudent2024 wrote:

It'll be 7 schools in 7 years once he transfers this offseason. In high school he was at DeMatha freshman year and transferred before the season started to Bishop O'Connell. Before his junior year he went to Huntington Prep and once COVID hit he moved to National Christian Academy. Then obviously GW and URI in college.

There's so many issues with going to 7 schools from the age of 14 to 20 even if you take basketball out of the equation. There comes a point when you need a certain amount of stability in your life and I think the absence of continuity has hurt his development as a basketball player and a human being. 

I believe he is an immensely talented player who obviously has a big personality (I'm not surprised Archie Miller didn't put up with it). He was on a much longer leash under JC but I remember at the beginning of last season JC and Freeman both saying that he needed to learn to take practices more seriously and actually pay attention (although I'm sure this isn't uncommon, not taking practice seriously certainly isn't a good trait to have for a highly touted recruit). 

​Some of the things I've heard and gleaned from afar from his time at Rhody reflect really really poorly on him and many of his issues are egged on (and sometimes made worse) by those close to him. No way he comes back to GW but a "what if Caputo convinced him to stay" could be an interesting one. FWIW, basically every student I know that actively follows the men's basketball team hates him because of his move within the conference and subsequent shit talking over social media to a player he has no history with in Max Edwards.

I was a huge fan of Brayon while he was at GW and loved watching him play although he clearly had his flaws. I was excited to see how he did against GW next week but I guess it wasn't to be. I'm very curious to see where he ends up but I have to think it will be a low major after this fiasco at URI.

Really well done by GWStudent2024.
    Very good point about the transferring. Understand some of the circumstances bringing about a switch, which several good posters have noted. But no matter what the reason, there's about 3 too many schools with the next step, given the start at DeMatha.
   Don't know who is advising Brayon or if he takes advice. How can you learn to take any coaching if you continually
switch places and coaches. At least here, he was at the same school, at home. And in the high school experience
and college, academics come into play. However smart and talented you are, that can't be good academically. And would be really bad for any social development, roots or loyalty.
   Hope Brayon finds whatever he is looking for in a stable place. Or perhaps, just takes at least a year off from basketball if that helps. May have to take a year off from games, one would think, on the second NCAA transfer.
  Somehow missed or don't recall the flap about being the real No. 2, which if I understand it correctly, is really
gratuitous and unappreciative.
  Would like to hear more about his attitude here and what you, GWStudent 2024, and others know and are hearing about his time in Rhode Island.

2/13/2023 7:38 pm  #245

2/13/2023 8:22 pm  #246

The CC recruits at Miami are running North Carolina out of their building on the road.

Expect the game will likely tighten but impressive display by The Canes.  ESPN.    North Carolina very much on the bubble.   Miam is 20-5 and  #15 in The Nation  

2/13/2023 11:14 pm  #247

21-5 Miami beats North Carolina  80-72 in Chapel Hill.

North Carolina was the pre-season #1 team in the country, clinging to the bubble now

2/14/2023 1:10 pm  #248

I think there are basketball players who are talented enough that they and their families can decide how and when they'll play, and coaches are getting enough out of the deal that they will cede their own authority so that they can win ballgames. I really enjoyed watching Brayon play, and when he was good, he was a great Atlantic 10 player, but he's not in that rarified air that he or anyone close to him gets to tell Archie Miller how things are going to go. 

I hope he finds the right fit, and I hope he is tremendously successful, but it's hard to imagine that he's going to have success in the top half of Division I or in professional basketball without learning how to develop his "morals and principles" in a way that includes giving up a little of yourself for the good of the team.

2/14/2023 1:26 pm  #249

North Carolina drops to 0-9 in Quad 1

Lunardi has them last 4 in.

If you go 0-9 vs Quad 1 and make the tourney it would make the whole new selection criteria a total sham.  Since it's routinely used to keep our teams who are 1-1 and 2-2 in Quad 1 games

2/14/2023 2:37 pm  #250

creeksandzeeks wrote:

I think there are basketball players who are talented enough that they and their families can decide how and when they'll play, and coaches are getting enough out of the deal that they will cede their own authority so that they can win ballgames. I really enjoyed watching Brayon play, and when he was good, he was a great Atlantic 10 player, but he's not in that rarified air that he or anyone close to him gets to tell Archie Miller how things are going to go. 

I hope he finds the right fit, and I hope he is tremendously successful, but it's hard to imagine that he's going to have success in the top half of Division I or in professional basketball without learning how to develop his "morals and principles" in a way that includes giving up a little of yourself for the good of the team.

Well stated creeksandzeeks (and I love your name if it's creation had anything to do with freaksandgeeks).  Ironically, I met a number of Brayon's family members before the A10 tournament loss to UMASS last season and they were all extremely pleasant.

2/14/2023 11:35 pm  #251

#24 Providence beats an excellent Creighton team in an double OT thriller
Creighton a top 10 KenPom team. 

One of the better Coaches in the Nation Ed Cooley shines on

Lunardi has Michigan not even on the bubble

Before they lost tonightWould Juwan Howard survive missing the NCAA tourney???

They were an 11 seed last year, not even on the bubble this year  He's done well in the tourney, but things are trending down and big drop off from the heights of Beilein who brought them to 2 recent National Title games

Last edited by The Dude (2/15/2023 12:51 am)

2/16/2023 10:22 pm  #252

Maryland pounds #3 Purdue and storms the court

#17 in KenPom Maryland, fantastic first year for Kevin Willard in College Park 

Gonzaga had a home win streak which seemed to date to the Hoover Administration snapped by Loyola Marymount, who is good this year, they beat #6 St Mary's too.

Zags are up 68-28 on the road vs Loyola Marymount in the rematch

Last edited by The Dude (2/17/2023 12:17 am)

2/17/2023 4:27 pm  #253

Gonzaga built a 60 point lead in that game before calling off the dogs. If someone ends your 6 year home court win streak, that's a pretty good dose of revenge in their building
Gonzaga has 24 NCAA tournament wins since 2013 the most in the country
7 straight sweet 16 appearances The longest in the country

2/18/2023 3:59 pm  #254

The GW Trio take down Wisconsin on the road!

Big Road  win for Rutgers who looks to be 5-6 seed with this win come NCAA tourney

Last edited by The Dude (2/18/2023 4:01 pm)

2/22/2023 12:21 am  #255

7 straight wins for the CC recruits at Miami  and their 7th Quad 1 win tonight.

#13 Miami is 23-5 

2/22/2023 12:22 pm  #256

Shame on me for feeding into one guy's ridiculous personal agenda, but let's take a moment to celebrate the guy who, LOL, never should have left VCU, Shaka Smart.  Shaka is now 41-19 at Marquette after last night's road victory at recently surging Creighton.  Shaka's team is #10 in the country and is primed to take home the Big East regular season title.  Just imagine how good Marquette might be if they actually had a guy who knew how to coach.

In other Big East News, the great Dan Hurley, who unlike Shaka, somehow managed to escape any criticism when he left URI for UCONN, has gone 6-7 over his last 13 Big East games.  

Finally, let's check in on America's most underrated coach, Leonard Hamilton.  Currently at 8-20, the Noles most important off-season decision will be to decide whether to buy out the final year of Hamilton's contract or keep him as a lame duck.  Here's about all you need to know...in the 99 year history of the ACC, only twice has a member school's year-end defense been worse than 200th in the country.  Hamilton's group presently stands at 260.  Yikes!

2/22/2023 12:34 pm  #257

Gwmayhem wrote:

Finally, let's check in on America's most underrated coach, Leonard Hamilton.  Currently at 8-20, the Noles most important off-season decision will be to decide whether to buy out the final year of Hamilton's contract or keep him as a lame duck.  Here's about all you need to know...in the 99 year history of the ACC, only twice has a member school's year-end defense been worse than 200th in the country.  Hamilton's group presently stands at 260.  Yikes!

Leonard Hamilton seems like another coach who is fed up with the whole NIL/Transfer era.  I heard him on a podcast last year where he was in favor of guys getting NIL deals etc. but clearly didn't like how it's played out with kids moving around every other year.  Definitely seems like someone who misses the old days of having 3-4 years to develop a recruit.  I don't think he's long for college hoops at the rate things are going.  

Last edited by GW0509 (2/22/2023 12:34 pm)

2/22/2023 1:12 pm  #258

Nate Oats as a young Coach is about as good as it gets but he shouldn't be Coaching Alabama.
A young mother was shot dead with a gun supplied by one of his players brought to the scene by his star player

His statement yesterday was despicable Alabama champion McCelroy said it best

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/2023/02/greg-mcelroy-calls-nate-oats-comments-despicable-embarrassing-completely-unsympathetic.html

2/22/2023 10:59 pm  #259

UCONN with another Quad 1 win tonight, an 18 point blowout victory.

#4 KenPom team in the nation.   

2/23/2023 9:33 am  #260

Congrats to UCONN.  Now 7-7 in their last 14.

Have dropped to #5 in KenPom.  I'll have to call into question KenPom's validity if they really believe that UCONN is the 5th best team in the country.  Speaking of 5, UCONN is also in 5th place in the Big East standings, two full games out of 4th place and 1 full game ahead of 6th place.  Just doesn't sound like the 5th best team in the country to me.  Maybe at some point, but not today.

Staying with KenPom, GW ranks 18 spots lower than UMASS despite having a better conference record, an identical overall record, and having defeated them by 8 points in their one head-to-head meeting.  Maybe margins of victory and all of these efficiency ratings are just a tad overblown?  Review both of their seasons and ask yourself which one you would rather have.

Board footera