GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2022 6:49 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Howard Game Thread

WisconsinColonial2021 wrote:

Audio on ESPN awful

Even worse tonight than on Monday. Levels waaaaaay too low.

11/11/2022 6:54 pm  #22

7 turnovers to Howard’s 1.
8 assists to Howard’s 13

11/11/2022 7:12 pm  #23

I think Max Edwards can turn into Bamisile come conference play.  Reminder that Bamisile was also basically a freshman last season too.  I'd say if anything Edwards is more assertive than Bamisile was two games in.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/11/2022 7:14 pm)

11/11/2022 7:12 pm  #24

Up until that 3 we have been shutting  down their top scorer

11/11/2022 7:32 pm  #25

Think Patsos has a lot of good insights if he could only get the rocks out of of his mouth

11/11/2022 7:38 pm  #26

WisconsinColonial2021 wrote:

Think Patsos has a lot of good insights if he could only get the rocks out of of his mouth

Apparently he spent the pandemic scarfing carbs and smoking menhtols. But since the mic levels are set to "AMSR", we can´t hear anything either of them are saying.
Settles is impressive, but Maximus is more impressive.

11/11/2022 8:06 pm  #27

GW wins again! 

2-0 to start The Caputo era

11/11/2022 8:20 pm  #28

Hail to the Buff! Hail to the Blue!!!
The not good:
Harris, Nixon et al DNPs. GW went eight deep against Howard. Come A10 time, the bench will need to play more mins or foes will run them ragged.
Bishop and Adams combined for 7 assists... and 7 turnovers... and 2-7 from behind the arc.
Howard had four playes score 14 or more points.
GW had 14 turnovers.

The good:
Lindo blocked four shots, all of them worthy of screaming "Yo Momma" at the victim.
Maximus is going to be a player. His 18 points and 8 boards do not even come close to reflecting his impact, particularly his off-ball movement on both sides of the ball (something lacking from GW teams perhaps since Yuta graduated).
In the first half, GW had 13 baskets with 8 assists and 5 offensive boards. Heroball was limited to zilch.
Free throw shooting was good all night.
Student turnout was very good again. The season is early, but hopefully this is a constant and not a fad. Hey students, after two years of lockdowns and whatnot, take full advantage of being able to go to these games. You are doing a good job so far. (and alums, put butts in those empties on your side of the court!)

11/11/2022 8:21 pm  #29

Not sure the audio is ESPN's problem.  Had to turn down the volume on commercials.  Decided to turn off the game.  My old heart has a hard time dealing with the angst.  Besides, I'm getting superstitious about being a jinx when I watch.  GW goes up by 12, I start to watch, GW falls behind.   Blame it all on me.

11/11/2022 8:44 pm  #30

BC wrote:

Not sure the audio is ESPN's problem.  Had to turn down the volume on commercials.  Decided to turn off the game.  My old heart has a hard time dealing with the angst.  Besides, I'm getting superstitious about being a jinx when I watch.  GW goes up by 12, I start to watch, GW falls behind.   Blame it all on me.

It  is safe to watch the replay, BC

Last edited by russianthistle (11/11/2022 8:45 pm)

11/11/2022 8:50 pm  #31

Shame that neither Lindo, Dean, nor Edwards could get the double double.

Another pro was easily getting to 80 points tonight even with Bishop having an off night shooting wise.  JC's teams only scored 80 points 7 times in 3 years, and that includes a 4 OT game vs. Davidson and the 3 OT game vs. Duquesne last season.  

11/11/2022 8:59 pm  #32

Other positives:

Ricky with no foul trouble

KILLED them on the boards

Clark played some tough D

Bishop had a shitty day and we still won going away

That was a fun game to watch

11/11/2022 9:22 pm  #33

Want to highlight the adjustment on defense that Coach installed.  First half, we were getting beat off our hedge/double team at the top of the key leading to lay-up/dunks for Howard’s.  That was cleaned up with a half time adjustment.
Another smart move was realizing their bigs quickness made it a mismatch for Noel and used Samuels to spell Dean.

Used Clark a ton to combat the quick guard.  Though Adams and Clark played great D - limiting their leading scorer to 1 three and a bunch of free throws.

11/11/2022 9:27 pm  #34

Elijah Hawkins (Brayon’s running mate for many years) did a number on Bishop with tight D.  Not A-10 size, but a great PG

Last edited by BM (11/12/2022 8:36 am)

11/11/2022 10:58 pm  #35

3 players were just outstanding tonight:

Maximus Edwards  - The Gladiator
Hunter Dean - White House counsel 
Ricky Lindo JR - The Matrix 2.0

Great games 

Last edited by The Dude (11/11/2022 11:41 pm)

11/12/2022 7:09 am  #36

Sure there are plenty of things to improve on but keep two things in mind: Unless you're Kentucky, Howard is no pushover and this was Caputo's third game as a head coach. 

11/12/2022 7:59 am  #37

A follow up: Two local Division1 schools playing each other in DC. I expected a Post article of decent length. What do we get? A blurb so small I missed it twice before tracking it down and a blurb dwarfed by girl's high school recaps. I guess the only way we'll get any coverage in the Post is to be in the top 20 in the country (or God forbid have another scandal).  Disgraceful!

11/12/2022 8:40 am  #38

moneybox wrote:

A follow up: Two local Division1 schools playing each other in DC. I expected a Post article of decent length. What do we get? A blurb so small I missed it twice before tracking it down and a blurb dwarfed by girl's high school recaps. I guess the only way we'll get any coverage in the Post is to be in the top 20 in the country (or God forbid have another scandal).  Disgraceful!

I did find this article on Hawkins.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/howards-elijah-hawkins-summer-internship-put-him-middle-us-history

11/12/2022 11:44 am  #39

Recap from Finest Magazine: https://www.finestmag.com/post/gw-recap-george-washington-vs-howard

Last edited by GW0509 (11/12/2022 11:45 am)

11/12/2022 11:52 am  #40

Ricky was a beast, more of that please. Nice to have someone like Clark to match-up with the small, quick guards.  Looked like we tried a zone midway through the second half, did not go so well.  A couple of baseline cuts to the basket and guys were wide open.  Appeared to be a bunch of folks in the stands that could have potentially been recruits, lots of AAU team gear on.  Any visits this weekend?

Board footera