GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2022 12:03 pm  #21

Re: How bad would we crush GU this year?

Can anyone not named John Thompson win at Gtown?

Ewing, as bad as things have gone has made as many NCAA tourneys as all non Thompsons combined in their school's history.

Would Mike Anderson win there? I'm thinking probably yes

Has any iconic player proven a good hire in college?

Last edited by The Dude (12/08/2022 12:05 pm)

12/08/2022 2:03 pm  #22

Before I add on to the discussion, you guys need to see this quote from a Georgetown poster on their hoyatalk board after the Siena game, it sums up the state of their program right now.. "Could you ever have imagined the day that the GU coach was thrilled with a win over Siena and the Siena coach was furious with a loss to Georgetown?"

GW Alum Abroad, I know you made the comment about Georgetown playing its home games at Smith Center in jest but that's actually a great idea for them as long as they remain committed to the 'Ghost of John Thompson Jr.', which will translate to constant last place finishes in the Big East and embarrassing OOC losses to middle-of-the-pack(or worse) mid-major teams!! McDonough Gym is too small for a Big East team and drawing 800 bodies to a 20,000-seat arena is just shameful! The only time they'll get great crowds at the Abe Pollin Arena is when Villanova, UConn, Providence, Xavier and maybe some other Big East teams brings hundreds or maybe thousands of their fans to D.C. The Smith Center is just the right size for Georgetown when you look at the predicament they are in. If not the Smith Center, they can use the place where the Washington Mystics and the Wizards G-League team plays at.

I think GW should agree to any sort of series of games against Georgetown at this point. Georgetown losing to GW in back-to-back years (which is a very realistic possibility as long as Ewing remains the coach) would just add insult to injury, I wouldn't worry about where the games at played since Georgetown doesn't have any sort of homecourt advantage. The only problem is, Georgetown may view themselves as the underdog if they played GW and come out motivated!! LOL 

From what I've read on their hoyatalk board, Ronny Thompson just took over his father's GODFATHER role over the program. I'm thinking Big John instructed them to let Ronny take over for him whenever he passed, so that is what's happening now. If they just fire Ewing, Ronny will just bring another guy who played for Big John.

I disagree with some of you a bit about Georgetown turning things around. If they get rid of Ronny Thompson and Patrick Ewing, and bring in a competent outsider, things can turn quickly because there is just way too much high school talent in the D.C. area for Georgetown to be this bad. Also, Georgetown plays in the Big East and the name/brand still has carries weight even though the glory days were 30+ years ago. The Dude brought up St. John's/Mike Anderson, I think the same sort of thing applies to them, even though the glory days are long gone, the brand remains relevant in my opinion, and the right coach can get it back.  

12/08/2022 2:15 pm  #23

Thomas wrote:

If they get rid of Ronny Thompson and Patrick Ewing, and bring in a competent outsider, things can turn quickly

I just don't see Georgetown getting rid of them anytime soon.  1. because of the financial hit it would take to fire Ewing now and 2. if you read Hoya fans online, what they really want is for Pat to "do the right thing" and step down.  They can't stomach the thought of firing him even though he's completely terrible as a coach.  Pat would be an idiot to resign without getting every $ he's owed.  I realize it's a different context, but if I were Pat I'd quote the great Jim Calhoun and say: "not a dime back."

Last edited by GW0509 (12/08/2022 2:15 pm)

12/11/2022 4:02 pm  #24

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I think a better question is, since Abe Pollin´s Palace is too big/empty and their Kenner League gym is too rinky-dink, should GW rent them the Smith Center to play at? (So long as all the livery remains branded GW, I´d say "sure!" on nights when GW is not using the facility, so long as the hot water heater is broken on those nights).

Love this! Making them play on GW livery would be salt in the wound.

12/11/2022 6:57 pm  #25

I don't know why people seem so sure we would beat Georgetown.

12/12/2022 8:50 am  #26

BC wrote:

I don't know why people seem so sure we would beat Georgetown.

Yeah, we should probably beat Radford and American before thinking about Georgetown, no matter how bad they are.

1/03/2023 7:20 am  #27

GW now has a better KenPom and NET than Georgetown.

Just sayin...

1/03/2023 12:13 pm  #28

The interesting things is that we always hear that we don't get coverage because we are not relevant.
So, that should apply elsewhere in the D.C. area.

1/03/2023 12:41 pm  #29

We could also beat the San Antonio Spurs right now since they are sucking it up

Let's try to get over .500 in a not so good A-10 this year before we start making arguments about being the best in the DMV, despite losing to American and Radford among others!

Board footera