GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2023 2:44 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Dayton Game Thread

Fun game to watch on TV. Love to see Smith Center rockin and the guys playing hard on both ends of the floor. Great energy Caputo has brought in year 1, let’s hope it builds on this.

1/21/2023 2:48 pm  #22

Awesome win. Fun to want to go to bars to watch GW again.

1/21/2023 2:52 pm  #23

What a win!

And what a way to hit the over. Game that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends

1/21/2023 2:53 pm  #24

Went toe-toe with them inside and even out rebounded them. Dean the unsung hero battling on defense.

1/21/2023 2:56 pm  #25

Bishop the most creative scorer I’ve seen at GW in my 40+ years of watching us play.

1/21/2023 2:59 pm  #26

Great win. I lived in Dayton for a few years. Before UD joined the A10. Fan base is great and very passionate. Losing to us and losing to VCU is crushing them now. Question? How many of our players (transfer) were 3 or 4 stars players out of high school? Great they are playing like a team now. Wonderful!!

1/21/2023 3:08 pm  #27

Lindo also played tough inside

1/21/2023 3:10 pm  #28

Mentzinger wrote:

Alum1 wrote:

First five minutes out of the half are critical for this team. Did they learn from previous let downs? Let’s hope so.

Weathered every challenge and kept the game plan for forcing Dayton out to the 3, where they have sucked, keeping the ball in JBIV's hands when they needed a bucket and in BA's hands down the stretch when they needed FTs. Such good coaching.

Couldn’t agree more. Great to see. This is what good coaching and teaching leads to. Finally

1/21/2023 3:32 pm  #29

Dean and Lindo’s defense down low was 🔥

1/21/2023 3:35 pm  #30

Wow, what a game!  Great first half, opening up a 14 point half time lead.  Felt we may falter a little bit in the second half due to lack of bench and starters getting winded.  Great to see we hung on, a sign of a team gelling and maturing under the new coaching staff.  As noted, amazing what CC and staff have done with the same team core from last year, less Freeman and Joe while adding redshirt freshman Maximus.  Next year.... if JB stays, Maximus gets a year under his belt, the 3 touted freshman and hopefully a transfer or two or three, and we will be smoking!

Players play, and make plays, but they need a coach to put give them knowledge and put them in position to succeed.  Love how CC does it on the court and off the court with the social media and getting the student body to show up.  

1/21/2023 3:49 pm  #31

I was surrounded by Dayton fans and they were just so deflated by the fact that we missed zero free throws down the stretch. It was awesome!

1/21/2023 3:51 pm  #32

Now THAT is why we love college basketball. 

What a game and what an atmosphere.  It may have been more Dayton fans than GW fans packing the Smith center, but our crowd brought the energy all game long. And the players brought it. 

So impressed with the way we defended and rebounded.  Just battled them inside all day and met their physicality. 

And between Bishop and Adams, we have great guards.  They have to be the best backcourt in the league. 

James really staked his claim for A10 POY today.  Now that we are 4-2, he has to be right there with Collins and Holmes for the award (and Bishop was by far better than Holmes today.  He seems much quicker than previous seasons, just blowing by guys, and his decision making was elite today - they kept doubling him in the first half, and he just kept finding the open man.

Adams not only should be like 2nd team all league, but he’s got to win the Chris Daniels Most Improved Player Award, right?  Guy has improved his scoring from 8.2 points to almost 17, and is shooting over 10% better from the field than last year.  Plus, his defense and rebounding are really solid.  Caputo has helped him find his role, and has him playing great ball.

Maximus has to be in contention for rookie of the year. I believe he leads all freshman in the league in scoring, and he was huge today with 15 points and 6 boards.

Hunter Dean and Ricky Lindo both battled so hard on D and the boards. Couple of bonehead fouls (especially Ricky), but they did a serious defensive job today.  I think the defensive work around the basket and their rebounding -limiting them to only about 23% offensive rebounds - made all the difference. 

Noel also played well in his time.  He got blocked a couple of times because he can’t get off the floor quickly, but he didn’t back down from Holmes and gave us solid minutes.

Amir played his role very well and had a nice basket (on a Qwanzi assist).

As usual, one of the keys for us is not getting smoked in those 2+ minutes with Bishop on the bench in the first half, and then in the 2 or so minutes when Adams sits.  The offense stagnated a bit, but the defense and rebounding didn’t, and we scored just enough to survive those minutes. 

Really just a fun game. 

And the hidden MVP is the fan who brought the Ohio isn’t real sign - injected some energy into our crowd just when we needed it.

1/21/2023 3:54 pm  #33

DC Native wrote:

I was surrounded by Dayton fans and they were just so deflated by the fact that we missed zero free throws down the stretch. It was awesome!

Wish there was a like button for this. 

So happy the couple thousand Dayton fans didn’t have a whole lot to cheer about.

1/21/2023 3:56 pm  #34

I haven't had that much fun at a GW game since Joe McDonald hit that running floater at the buzzer to beat Dayton in say 2015.

1/21/2023 4:44 pm  #35

Last edited by GW0509 (1/21/2023 4:44 pm)

1/21/2023 4:50 pm  #36

DC Native wrote:

DCN you are so right!  Al McGwire popularized don’t tell me the Guy’s FT%, tell me what it is the last 2 minutes! From 33% to 80% GW was nails with 5 minutes left. No only did they defend they didn’t chase on D! Best team wide mental accomplishment in 6 years IMO, especially with Bishop, Adams and Edwards playing 38 minutes

1/21/2023 4:51 pm  #37

Shout out to Hunter Dean, for his point blank stuff at the rim on DaRon Holmes.

Dayton had started to go on a run, that was a real turning point defensive play.   He and Lindo had a great defensive game.  We doubled  a lot in the 1st half but switched it up in the 2nd half relying on Dean a lot to hang with Holmes, which he mostly did

1/21/2023 5:00 pm  #38

Archie and Brayon now 6-13 and got smoked by Mason at home today.

Our guy is better than their guy. Just sayin’.

1/21/2023 5:20 pm  #39

Alum '04 wrote:

I haven't had that much fun at a GW game since Joe McDonald hit that running floater at the buzzer to beat Dayton in say 2015.

Said the same thing as I was walking out of the arena. Shout out to the entire team and especially the coaching staff. They had a defensive gameplan going into this game and everyone knew their role perfectly. Dayton is not a great 3-point shooting team so doubling Holmes was the right call. Kudos to CC for that one.

Shoutout to Hunter Dean for his constant battles down low with Holmes. His stat line may not look impressive but he did an incredible job on Holmes. Other A-10 teams should watch his tape of this game and try to emulate that.

Max had great 1st half and then Bishop/Adams froze them out for most of the second half. Fantastic FT shooting by that pair under all that pressure. Also think Amir deserves a shoutout as he provided great defensive minutes.

There were two observations/stats I saw that really blew my mind:
1) we didn't hit a 3-point shot the entire 2nd half and still won
2) there were a combined 31 points scored in the final 1:09 of the game...that is insane

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1616888294444335104

I hope no one took the under!

1/21/2023 5:53 pm  #40

Really an awesome win. Massive credit to the coaching staff but also to the players. I know many of them were not happy about the decision to fire JC so credit to them for buying into what Caputo is building even if they won't be here next year

Board footera