GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 11:01 pm  #21

Re: Smith Center Discussion + Renovations

I didn't know about this prior to todays hatchet article, but apparently they are planning on filling in the swimming pool and create a basketball practice facility. Definitely something needed to compete at a high level of D1 Hoops. Most of the top A10 schools have them. I do however hope they have a good plan for the swim team.

Link

2/01/2020 7:58 am  #22

They making changes to the Wellness center to accommodate water sports. I think it’s in the same article

11/02/2020 3:31 pm  #23

11/02/2020 3:54 pm  #24

The Ross-Man! wrote:

I'm sure this will lead to a nice, rational discussion here:  https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1323326466717863938
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/El1mYUlXEAA0UgI?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Ross Man, thank you for sharing this information.  This is a TRULY OUTSTANDING ACTION the part of GW, and another important step in the right direction our community and our country!

Last edited by 22ndandF (11/02/2020 5:13 pm)

11/02/2020 5:23 pm  #25

this is good

11/02/2020 5:46 pm  #26

Wonderful. Good for GW. Good for the community.

11/03/2020 9:47 am  #27

Good for GW.   The meaning of Black Lives Matter has evolved over the past few years.  What was once seen as a political act of defiance now has, at least for me, come to symbolize the message that there can no longer be a double standard as to the way minority communities are policed as opposed to the rest of the country.  Only so much change can come from the efforts of the Black community.    For real, systematic change to happen, the rest of the country has to likewise demand it.   For GW to support this message reflects well upon the university.   

11/03/2020 11:13 am  #28

100% support this idea.  Good work GW. 

11/03/2020 11:35 am  #29

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Good for GW.   The meaning of Black Lives Matter has evolved over the past few years.  What was once seen as a political act of defiance now has, at least for me, come to symbolize the message that there can no longer be a double standard as to the way minority communities are policed as opposed to the rest of the country.  Only so much change can come from the efforts of the Black community.    For real, systematic change to happen, the rest of the country has to likewise demand it.   For GW to support this message reflects well upon the university.   

Long Suffering Fan, I feel you are right about that the BLM movement has evolved over the past few years.  I might add that, in addition to the elimination of the obvious double standards associated with the criminal justice system (including law enforcement), subscribers to the BLM doctrine also demand equal access to capital, quality education, housing, medical care and other systems which may be administered unfairly.  I feel you are very much on target that for this to work, the whole country must demand it, for black people, and for all people. 

I'm extremely happy that GW is taking a visible stand.

11/03/2020 12:24 pm  #30

This is a very responsible decision on the part of GW.  The very first time I heard the words Black Lives Matter, my initial thought, much like the thought of many white people at the time in my estimation, was to think "don't all lives matter?"  All it takes is just a little research on the topic to enlighten oneself.  That response shows tremendous insensitivity along with a lack of awareness surrounding how unfairly so many black individuals are treated, as 22ndandF suggests, in so many facets of life. It's easy to be a defeatist and suggest that this age-old problem will never be rectified, but it takes great strength, persistence and patience to realize how the problem of systemic racism can considerably improve over time.  Nice to see GW play a small role in generating awareness to help make this happen.

11/03/2020 12:39 pm  #31

I just looked at Rothstein's twitter page and saw that his tweet about GW putting the BLM symbol on its home court has 44 responses, which is way more than his other tweets. You guys think the high number of responses is because people want to praise GW for doing this? HA!  But seriously, I know Rothstein posting about the BLM symbol will trigger/anger that "35% of the population", but it's good that GW is doing this. When people look back at this period of time, GW will be viewed in a positive light for doing this. 

11/03/2020 1:02 pm  #32

Was Professor Krug consulted? (chortle, snort, giggle).

While a nice little gesture, what does it actually do? Now, if to graduate from GW you need to know who Roy Wilkins, Marcus Garvey, W.E.B. DuBois, Thomas Sankara, Chris Hani, Patrice Lumumba, James Baldwin, Angela Davis, Joseph Rainey and Walter Sisulu are, that would be progress. So long as the factulty and curriculae fail to recognize the contributions of black people to global development (beyond Harriet Tubman, Nat Turner, Martin Luther King, Malcom X and Nelson Mandela), it seems that putting the BLM logo on a court in a (thanks to COVID) empty gym is a minor measure.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (11/03/2020 5:52 pm)

11/03/2020 6:16 pm  #33

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Was Professor Krug consulted? (chortle, snort, giggle).

While a nice little gesture, what does it actually do? Now, if to graduate from GW you need to know who Roy Wilkins, Marcus Garvey, W.E.B. DuBois, Thomas Sankara, Chris Hani, Patrice Lumumba, James Baldwin, Angela Davis, Joseph Rainey and Walter Sisulu are, that would be progress. So long as the factulty and curriculae fail to recognize the contributions of black people to global development (beyond Harriet Tubman, Nat Turner, Martin Luther King, Malcom X and Nelson Mandela), it seems that putting the BLM logo on a court in a (thanks to COVID) empty gym is a minor measure.

GW Alum Abroad, I feel what you've written is beautiful, honest and true.  But sometimes big things start with small gestures.  I'm choosing to be hopeful that this is an excellent start (although long overdue) for a university that doesn't have a good track record regarding how it has conducted itself over the years.

Last edited by 22ndandF (11/03/2020 6:36 pm)

11/05/2020 11:42 am  #34

You can cynically choose to perceive BLM on the court as a publicity play if you'd like.  And, Dr. Mike's suggestion on focusing attention around a single issue, specifically one which may be quantified and measured, is an excellent one.  However, I don't think of BLM on the court as a publicity stunt nor should the effort be undermined in my opinion.

For BLM as a movement to truly matter, it must first gain near-universal awareness followed by acceptance.  How often do we hear or read about an unjust incident followed by a protest, march, demonstration....sadly followed by a lack of attention once the incident leaves the news cycle, not to be thought of again until the next incident?

What we should all aspire to is to not let Black Lives Matter die down.  Let's keep it in our thoughts, not just on days when tragic events occur but every single day.  BLM on the Smith Center court is one very small way to help achieve this.  It will be undoubtedly mentioned by every television and radio crew that broadcasts a Smith Center contest.  It may receive national publicity.  When I see or hear BLM, I am reminded of the grave unfairness of it all.  I am reminded of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor and Trayvon Martin and Freddie Gray and Eric Garner and Michael Brown.    And I am reminded that there are countless numbers of others whose names I've never heard of.  Human beings who lost their lives due to the color of their skin.  Sickening.

Sure GW can do more.  We all can.  BLM on the court?  That IS doing something.    

11/05/2020 5:24 pm  #35

So many levels to this that I'm not really sure how I feel about this ...

PROS

Black Lives Matter!  Enough Said! Absolutely in favor of equality and have no problem with GW stating it either privately or publicly such as on the court.

CONS

Virtue signaling when your own hiring record with respect to minorities both within and without the athletic department is abysmal - the athletic department has approximately 15% African-Americans among its staff and coaches in a city that has the highest African American population in the U.S. (around 45%). Those that know, know. 

Cynicism - The only reason it was placed on the court was for television. If you feel so strongly about it, place it permanently on the outside of campus buildings. It should be everywhere!. And ironically, probably the last place it should appear is on a basketball court if you really are all about it.

Potentially divisive - are you supporting BLM the movement or BLM the organization? I have no problems with the former ... huge problems with the latter due to their marxist, anti-police and anti-semitic views not to mention the fomenting of violence. Perhaps that is why the NBA made sure to use the words Black Lives Matter on its floors to signal the movement and not the organization. The fist gives me pause as to what exactly is being supported.

Slippery Slope - .Why shouldn't the LGBTQ community get messaging? How about the Palestinian causes like BDS? How about the anti-abortion crowd? Where do you now draw the line? Just the causes you like or all of them? Has GW now set itself up for a discrimination claim the first time it denies a similar request? Will GW sports look like a NASCAR race car of causes in the future?

These are the challenges. Once you head down this road you better walk the walk. I'll take several new hires for the athletic department and many more across campus every day and twice on Sundays over some messaging on a basketball court without follow through.

Call me cynical if you'd like Gwmayhem but until I see more it is what it is. I've seen this play before.

Last edited by GWRising (11/05/2020 5:27 pm)

11/05/2020 8:43 pm  #36

GWRising, you seem like a wonderfully nice guy and look forward to meeting you after these messed up time and greet with a handshake and watch a game. There is only one concept that boils my blood, "Virtue Signaling."  Toss in a bunch of what aboutisms. Then you drop in the part about walking the walk. In my time at GW I knew four men who buried four American Presidents. I had life long friends with whom I could have meaningful long conversations. I know folks here who got a free ticket to SE Asian to fight people who might have been "Marxist." Are the Marxist fighters Marxists? (as they are some of the people to whom you refer.)
The great thing about a University is that it teaches you how to keep complex concepts in your head and work through them in an order fashion. "Anti-police" is what you see, I see people looking for justice. You mention LGBTQ isn't that about equal rights in the eyes of the law?

Thanks to GWU and profs in Stat, Math and Econ.... (departments at which I was rumored to be a student I got to work on some cases handled by The Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights under Law in states like Texas, Virginia, and Mississippi and Alabama. We all walk the walk in different ways and at different times.

GWRising, call it virtue signaling, if you want, but until enough people walk the walk in the same direction nothing gets done in society. 

Finally, I may projecting on what you wrote.. possibly to make your points, but still if you or any one else has any interest in GWU doing more for the people of DC, I have some like to share them. You may like them. They may make GWU a better partner with it's host city. Anything like that may help raise the city's interest in our school's basketball/sports coming out of the pandemic.

GWRising, thanks for sharing your concerned....Oh one thing, Baltimore City

11/06/2020 7:54 am  #37

Dr Mike, great questions from you. and as GWRising made the point, what does this mean? The point is that if you believe equal rights and equal justice both through the laws on the books and the enforcement. I would be all in support the school team with the city on building the skill basic of disadvantaged citizens. The university can create new models of education outside the structure of the traditional university's systems and degree structures. 

The other concern in the city that I have is that I spend time worrying about how citizens of the city can maintain what little property assets. I have spent 5 to 6 years working around construction industry on a small basic as properties are purchased and re-modeled  There is a strong connection into the multi-family building industry and GWU. The university can work on planning workable density question in the city and work on the laws that will allow some expansive building spaces.

Just a few ideas that speak to your comment. As the University already partners with entrepreneur, we can  take that concept and micro-sizing it and merge in a program of office space and businesses service
sharing.

11/06/2020 10:44 am  #38

I agree with the practical ideas put forth by russianthistle and Dr. Mike above..

I do want to clarify a few points for you russianthistle from your post of last evening.

First, I do believe there is a heavy strain in the BLM organization, but not necessarily the wider BLM movement, towards much more radical anti-police positions. You can read some of their policy statements for further understanding. I am not sure what ACAB has to do with justice for George Floyd since all cops did not commit that crime. I am not sure that "pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon" is very helpful to the cause of social justice. I further do not see how violence against officers is what the broader movement believes or desires but yet is at least tacitly applauded by the organization through its silence. De-fund the police? As Dr. Mike indicates the broader movement has no use for that. Yet the organization persists. So I think there is ample evidence that the organization itself is anti-police and out of touch with the broader BLM movement. 

Second, my point about LGTBQ was why shouldn't they also have a symbol on the court? Is GW only interested in BLM? There are many who believe abortion is a violation of civil rights. Pro-Life get one too? We can play that game all day with different serious causes that affect members of the GW community. So when one of these causes approaches GW about such a logo, what happens if GW says no? It's why I said this is a slippery slope and one that GW may eventually come to regret not because it supports BLM but because it has opened its sports teams to promotion of all sorts of causes - some which many agree but some which others may not.

Last edited by GWRising (11/06/2020 10:46 am)

11/06/2020 11:25 am  #39

Let me start by saying that all of my comments pertain to the BLM movement and not the organization.  I have not spent a great deal of time researching the organization and am therefore not in a position to comment on whether I am in agreement with any or all of their positions.  For example, if they felt that looting or violence were proper recourses to make a strong statement, I know I would be radically opposed to this.

That said, my opinion is that we've reached a point in our history where causes should not be lumped together and all given equal weight.  Most if not all have importance and are worth fighting for.  However, I really think that if you're not black or brown skinned, you have to do your best to imagine how your life might be different for the worse.  Maybe you're pulled over while driving for no discernible reason at all.  Maybe you're denied a bank loan, or access to a new home or apartment, while a white person with your exact same financial assets and credit history isn't.  Maybe you're treated poorly in a restaurant having nothing to do with anything you said or did.  Maybe you've been killed while following the directions of a police officer or simply asking a question.  And while you may think this is unfair to say, maybe things have gotten considerably worse for you these past four years under a white supremacist president who at the very least says or does nothing about such actions and at times, appears to more than condone this.

Causes like the LGTBQ movement and abortion rights will vacillate contingent upon who is running our government.  Yet tell me when black and brown skinned people have truly been treated equally in this country?  Black Lives Matter is a cause that I'm afraid a portion of this country will always have a problem with, certainly in my lifetime.  If the goal of eradicating this problem entirely is too lofty, then the next best goal would be to diminish this problem as best we can.   

Yes, putting #BLM on the court is for television, and publicity and awareness.  You needn't put this outside of every campus building for the school to prove it's behind the cause.  As for the school's hiring actions, I used to believe that the best qualified person should get the job and was once against affirmative action.  I've changed my views on this for the very reasons being discussed.  We don't know how many people at GW or anywhere who are hiring lesser qualified white people instead of more qualified black people due to a racist motive.  Or, the numbers of intelligent blacks who are turned down because they lacked the means to obtain a quality education.  This is why affirmative action or diversity hires are needed.

11/06/2020 1:33 pm  #40

Gwmayhem, I think the problem is not any of what you said regarding BLM the movement or the social justice issues but rather you, me, GW or anyone else picking winners and losers amongst causes people strongly believe in, One could argue that if you are fervently pro-life that since 1972, atrocities have been committed against far greater numbers of human life. Whether you or I believe that is irrelevant. How can GW now reasonably turn down that group without being charged as  picking winners and losers. I can imagine that the LGTBQ community would take strong exception that it has ever been treated fairly. We could list others.

This is why it is potential folly for GW to get into this business which has nothing to do with the underlying causes and everything to do with messaging. You can't place a slogan on a court go home and declare victory over an intractable problem. 

But I'll ask the question again, why sports? Why should sports which is ostensibly (maybe other than the military) the most equal platform we have be the lead messenger? It would seem to me that message belongs in Rice Hall and everywhere else that hiring decisions are made. Even if fans are allowed, do you really believe that there are large numbers of people attending GW basketball games or watching college basketball that need to be reminded that this is an issue?

I could write a dissertation about what this country could do to make systemic changes but I promise messaging on a basketball court would not ever be in there. It would have to do with economic reforms, educational reforms, and housing reforms.. If GW announced a set of policies and the messaging was part I would be far less cynical. I believe GW is getting off on the cheap but I hope they prove me wrong.

Board footera