GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2019 1:49 pm  #1

DJ Williams

I attended the game and because I am a DJ fan and missed seeing him on the court, I started asking more questions to confirm what I already heard. Surprised at how this was swept under the GW carpet OMFG!!! So I joined this forum to share.

Here's what I know: For personal reasons, DJ was allowed and advised to go into portal to move closer to home. After going in portal, he found out he didn't have transferable credits to transfer anywhere because prior staff set it up that way to make sure he played out his college career at GW. Instead of honoring what prior staff set up, and allow DJ back on the team, JC opted to hold off a couple of months in order to allow new recruits to sign.

Here's what I heard: At the end of May, DJ was allowed to go home to visit his ailing mom but was instructed by JC to return to campus the day after Memorial day and that GW would purchase his return ticket. Two or three days before he was to return to campus DJ was told that GW would not purchase his return ticket and that he still had to be back the day after the holiday. DJ couldn't afford to buy a ticket to return the day after the holiday so he bought a ticket to return 2 days after the holiday. JC got mad and told him he should have gotten a job or taken a bus or had somebody drive him back so that he would be back when he told him to be back. I'm told no other teammates were on campus and only DJ was instructed to be back.

DJ was on campus for spring and summer sessions thinking he was back on the team, but was only being strung along, long enough for JC to sign other recruits.

DJ met with AD about everything that was happening because by now JC wouldnt talk to him anymore. AD talked to JC and then JC  got mad again at DJ because he felt DJ went behind his back to talk to AD about him.

Parents met with JC and AD to discuss how mess up with transferable credits was allowed to happen; JC's treatment of DJ; and why he wasn't allowed back on team. AD wasn't familiar with how to handle this type of issue because this type of issue never happened before but sided with JC in the end, stripping DJ off the team but still scholarshipping him enough to graduate in December. JC's argument why he wouldn't allow him back on the team was because he disobeyed his order; nevermind he didn't have enough transferable credits to go to another school.

I was hoping DJ would b at the game so I could meet him and offer him some encouragement but I didn't see him there. I feel like somehow the system failed him.

Heard mom suffered emotional breakdown at meeting after being told he wouldn't be let back on team.

Can't believe nobody else heard about any of this, unless everybody is just sweeping this under the rug.

11/02/2019 2:25 pm  #2

Re: DJ Williams

DJ FAN, hello.  Glad to have you on the board.

As the administrator for the board, I am trying to keep the board based upon fact, opinion, and respectful debate.  I can't say if what you've written here is true, false, or somewhere in between.  However, you use the word "heard" a decent amount, and frankly you are making accusations that you likely don't have the ability to prove.  Even if you did, I don't believe this board is the place to accuse or make things right.

I don't mean to dismiss what you're saying as unimportant, but this is something DJ and his family should be dealing with in a direct way with the university or others (if that is what they want to be doing).  

I'm going to write you privately through the messaging feature to speak to you more in depth about this, but I ask (urge) the board not to delve into hearsay and/or accusations that have not been made public.  I'm going to freeze this post from additional comments until we've spoken.  I hope you understand.

Thanks for keeping the new GWHoops board for what it was designed to be.

Barry
Site Administrator 

Board footera