GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2023 5:03 pm  #1

Welcome Garrett Johnson!

We have our first transfer of the year.  As predicted by others on the other thread, Garrett Johnson committed.

https://twitter.com/tobias_bass/status/1643729099007881217?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

No idea what to expect from him since he didn’t play last year while recovering from a rare tumor in his leg.

Princeton listed him as a 6’8” guard because I think he has a rep as an excellent shooter. Hopefully he gives us some real versatility.

4/05/2023 5:06 pm  #2

Re: Welcome Garrett Johnson!

And here’s an article from the Washington Post about his commitment to Princeton.  Says Xavier and Richmond were among the finalists for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/22/episcopals-garrett-johnson-chooses-princeton-ivy-league-is-rise/

4/05/2023 6:10 pm  #3

This is great news.   Taking a quick peek on the internet, he required 4 surgeries in a one year period to address a (benign) tumor.  This is why he sat all last season. Hope he is fully recovered.   As with Max, I wonder why someone who sat a full year due to injury would transfer once healthy.

4/05/2023 9:34 pm  #4

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

This is great news.   Taking a quick peek on the internet, he required 4 surgeries in a one year period to address a (benign) tumor.  This is why he sat all last season. Hope he is fully recovered.   As with Max, I wonder why someone who sat a full year due to injury would transfer once healthy.

Lots of guys want to play/be closer to home, which makes sense given what he went through with the surgeries.  Or maybe he didn't see PT for himself after the run the team went on without him this year.

4/05/2023 9:52 pm  #5

This is great, looks like an excellent addition!  Welcome GJ!!!

4/05/2023 10:00 pm  #6

Great news.
Smart guy. And we need a shooter. (and at 6'8, he can and should hit the boards).
Welcome Garrett and family to our GW family!

4/06/2023 6:45 am  #7

Waiting for complaints that he didn’t have enough stars ;-)!
Seems like a fabulous addition. Welcome!

4/06/2023 11:16 am  #8

Similar in a number of respects to Patrick Steeves.  Similar height, good outside shooter, Ivy league transfer, extensive health concerns.  Obviously, the biggest differences are age and experience.  Appears to be a solid pickup provided that he is completely healthy and can remain that way.    Welcome Garrett!

4/06/2023 12:35 pm  #9

Excellent pickup! Welcome Garrett!

4/07/2023 9:47 am  #10

jake lieberman @jakelieberman23m 
Garrett Johnson (@gjohnson_3) transferred to George Washington this week. “I am looking forward to finally getting back on the court healthy. I’m close to home and feel as though I fit right into Coach Caputo’s style of play and vision for the program.” @ThePortalReport.

4/07/2023 2:58 pm  #11

Welcome Garrett, best of luck on and off the court.

4/08/2023 2:09 pm  #12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDK8HTuK69Q

Looks like a deceptively good athlete with a nice looking stroke (92% FT according to MaxPreps is great and indicates very strong shooting touch).  Princeton's really seemed to recruit well over the past few years; a lot of their guys are significantly more athletic than what people think of for Ivy ball (underrated league at the top).  Interested to see what he contributes this year, as he understandably might need a year to ramp up after his health concerns, but is definitely a good pickup.  

4/08/2023 4:33 pm  #13

Garrett looks like a player who can really help us; actually, he has sat out two years with injuries at Princeton.

4/10/2023 8:14 am  #14

Article by WRGW's David Korn

https://www.a10talk.com/committed-6-8-wing-garrett-johnson-set-to-join-george-washington/

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/10/2023 11:07 am)

4/10/2023 9:20 am  #15

Thanks for posting the article. I'm glad the article points out that, contrary to what some here thought, he was not dealing with injuries. Garrett was dealing with a serious medical condition. He has overcome that thankfully. If he is still the player he was (and all indications are that he is), he will help. JC tried to get him here before but he chose Princeton. 

Last edited by GWRising (4/10/2023 9:30 am)

4/10/2023 9:21 am  #16

Really appreciate the job that David and Abe have done this season.  

One nitpick..let's also add Luke Cronin to next year's roster.  Luke will be a preferred walkon.

4/10/2023 10:53 am  #17

It's Korn

4/10/2023 11:08 am  #18

My apologies to him.. Typo.. Changed on my post

4/10/2023 5:07 pm  #19

Considering how many empty slots we have on the roster, I’d assume Cronin gets a free ride this season.

4/21/2023 10:02 am  #20

Board footera