GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2019 10:49 pm  #1

The Turkey Board and Defensive Assignments Chart

Not sure I've seen either of these at the NCAA level.  For those who haven't seen them yet, a manager holds up a big piece of poster board behind the bench (which must be killer for people sitting behind him) and puts a sticker of a turkey on the board for every 3 consecutive defensive stops.  For 5 consecutive stops, it's a sticker of a monster, and apparently for 10 consecutive stops it's a Godzilla sticker (though we didn't see that today).  

Meanwhile, on the bench, I believe AJ Register, the Director of Scouting & Analytics, holds up a different piece of poster board with each of the player's faces on it, and puts the number of each player on the floor''s defensive assignment next to their photo. Can players not remember this on their own?  Both of these additions seem very amateurish to me.  What does everyone else think?

11/10/2019 11:10 am  #2

Re: The Turkey Board and Defensive Assignments Chart

I think the turkey board is somewhat odd, though when games so often come down to one or two possessions, anything that can push an extra defensive stop during a game can be worthwhile. Using cartoon characters may be a bit overboard though.

The board with defensive assignments I think is actually a good idea, and I'm surprised I've never seen it before. Probably makes communication much easier, especially if it's in a loud environment, and reduces any risk of a missed assignment.

11/10/2019 2:26 pm  #3

I wondered what was going on with the turkey board. To echo Hugh, the defensive matchup board is a fantastic idea.

11/10/2019 4:15 pm  #4

Ben Franklin considered turkeys to be courageous birds.

11/10/2019 5:39 pm  #5

That said, it is a bit of an odd choice.  I'm sure Coach Christian has thought out the psychology behind it.  Maybe it helps keep the players kind of loose since it's so goofy. 

11/10/2019 6:04 pm  #6

I like the idea of the defensive matchup board. I can imagine that it could allow the coaching staff to switch players' defensive assignments without having to wait for a stoppage in play, or when free throws are being taken at the far end of the court. I'm curious if the players are in the habit of looking at it when they run back on defense.

11/10/2019 8:47 pm  #7

Sons of Liberty wrote:

That said, it is a bit of an odd choice.  I'm sure Coach Christian has thought out the psychology behind it.  Maybe it helps keep the players kind of loose since it's so goofy. 

I assume it's a turkey like how 3 strikes in bowling is a turkey?

11/10/2019 8:57 pm  #8

The Ross-Man! wrote:

Sons of Liberty wrote:

I assume it's a turkey like how 3 strikes in bowling is a turkey?

Ah!!! ...Clearly I don't bowl. Ha.  ...It's still kind of goofy!

11/10/2019 9:35 pm  #9

I love the turkey board.  It’s fun.

In our section, we were yelling for the turkey every time they got two stops. 

Only problem is the students can’t see it.  I think it would be amazing for our home court advantage and for putting pressure on our opponents if the student section section was yelling “Turkey.  Turkey” (instead of defense chant) any time we get two stops.  Or telling gobble gobble or whatever whenever we get a stop or two.   Could be a very fun thing unique to GW.

11/11/2019 12:35 pm  #10

Coach Christian had discussed this previously. He has done the turkey board at each stop (MSM and Siena) because both the players and fans love it. He said he was working with Athletics to make it more apart of the game. I guess at Siena or MSM they would flash it on the screen and get the crowd into it.

11/11/2019 12:58 pm  #11

Here is a story from when GW played (or shared the court with, not sure "played" is the proper description of the egg GW laid there) Vandy at the NCAA´s in Sacramento:
I went to other sessions out there (I made the trip, might as well get some value out of the effort) and noticed the different attitudes of the cheer squads towards their fans. GW´s cheerleaders (and Vandy´s too) reflected the levels of their schools´ academics and held up signs during time outs saying things like "Go Colonials!". Other schools, fearful their fans might not be able to handle complicated tasks like spelling their school´s name, would hold up signs with individual letters. That led to the disconcerting sight of some of the most basketball-savy fans in all of college hoops being instructed to spell "I-N-D-I-A-N-A" letter-by-letter on cue.
My point is that while cartoons of Godzilla may appeal to some, folks at GW are sophisticated. My guess is that if asked to choose between Monty Python and Benny Hill, Beastie Boys or Vanilla Ice, Gore Vidal or Dan Brown, and LA Confidential or Titanic that most GW fans would choose the more subtle and complicated option and not the simplistic but easily digested one.
So, if Christian wants to do something hokey to boost team spirit and get fans inolved, fine. But just because folks in Frederick and Albany liked it does not mean that it is appropriate for the heart of the most powerful city in the world. Then again, folks in the most powerful city in the world have been ignoring GW hoops for a long time, so at this point no harm in trying something new (even if it is downmarket).

Board footera