GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/09/2023 3:55 pm  #1

No Exhibition Game This Season

For the first time as long as I can remember, GW will not be playing a pre-season exhibition.  There will still likely be the "silent scrimmage" against a D1 opponent that will be closed to the public.  But the annual game often held in late October against a D2 or D3 opponent (or in the olden days, against these barnstorming teams comprised of former players) has fallen by the wayside, at least for this season.

Pros (in not playing) :  These games were often very one-sided, non-competitive affairs.  Many to the point of dull, calling into question the soundness of battling traffic or rushing out of work just to watch these snoozers.  While we can say that it allows the team to work on weaknesses or help establish rotations, the reality is that very little was to be truly learned by going up against a vastly inferior opponent.

Cons (in not playing):  One less chance to see the team play, see the newcomers play, etc.  Players don't receive a real-game atmosphere/experience (i.e.  a dress rehearsal) in advance of the start of the season.

Thoughts on whether you're sorry to see this game go or if you in a sense feel thankful that you can do something else with your time?  (Yes, I know fans were not forced to go, but many of us did anyway.)

10/09/2023 4:18 pm  #2

Re: No Exhibition Game This Season

As a fan? Meh. Not something I ever got hyped for, or found to be as satisfying viewing as that 4OT game vs Davidson or Goldwire´s flailing elbows.
HOWEVER... given the roster turnover it might have been helpful for the coaches to get a game filmed before it all starts to go on the Permanent Record.
Anyone know the backstory as to why? Coach´s call? Cost? Venue availability? Something else?

10/09/2023 6:02 pm  #3

Interesting question. Was wondering why we'd play a D2 opponent at all in the regular season, vs an exhibition.
Sure we'll find out the reason, as a lot of things are quite different in today's college bball environment.
  Playing non-college teams doesn't seem possible to start the season.
One interesting thing is didn't we find or learn more about Alexander Koul's ability when he matched
up pretty well against Yinka Dare in an exhibition game?  

10/09/2023 11:05 pm  #4

jf wrote:

Interesting question. Was wondering why we'd play a D2 opponent at all in the regular season, vs an exhibition.
Sure we'll find out the reason, as a lot of things are quite different in today's college bball environment.
  Playing non-college teams doesn't seem possible to start the season.
One interesting thing is didn't we find or learn more about Alexander Koul's ability when he matched
up pretty well against Yinka Dare in an exhibition game?  

A D2 game during the season basically is an exhibition game.  The results don’t count toward the computer models that largely determine who makes postseason, though I’m sure a loss would be looked at unfavorably (just not accounted for in the computers). 

I’ve always thought it was a little silly to count that toward a record, but I guess there are still plenty of people who point to a team’s OOC or overall record as important regardless of who they played.

Board footera