GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2023 9:02 am  #81

Re: GW vs Stonehill Game

By the way, I'm sure that all of you have noticed that the Post has printed nothing, zilch about our resounding victory over Stonehill or the women's win over Howard-- yesterday or today. A local game featuring three local teams! Not even an AP blurb! Same with one local news/sports TV station that I watched last night. Plenty, of course, about Georgetown (6 wins last season) and Maryland in the paper and on TV.  I left a message for Brian Serano today to give these outlets the hell they deserve, but I really don't know if he will follow through. We all know that the Post sports department will jump on the bandwagon of any program having great success that particular year. That is possible this season with the men's team (although too early for that conclusion based on one game), but we should not have to wait until that time to get decent coverage. This is an outrage!

11/08/2023 9:11 am  #82

moneybox wrote:

By the way, I'm sure that all of you have noticed that the Post has printed nothing, zilch about our resounding victory over Stonehill or the women's win over Howard-- yesterday or today. A local game featuring three local teams! Not even an AP blurb! Same with one local news/sports TV station that I watched last night. Plenty, of course, about Georgetown (6 wins last season) and Maryland in the paper and on TV.  I left a message for Brian Serano today to give these outlets the hell they deserve, but I really don't know if he will follow through. We all know that the Post sports department will jump on the bandwagon of any program having great success that particular year. That is possible this season with the men's team (although too early for that conclusion based on one game), but we should not have to wait until that time to get decent coverage. This is an outrage!

Sorry Moneybox but we're well past outrage.  This is an unwinnable fight that's no longer worth having.  All newspapers have had to face major budget cuts and The Post made a conscious decision to no longer assign a beat reporter to GW, Mason, AU, etc.  You are correct that if we can somehow get to say 19-1, some attention will be paid to this program.  Until then, figure John Feinstein to write one great article...I'll nominate Garrett Johnson as his subject for this season...and plenty of Ed Cooley Hoya resurrection or how difficult it is to resurrect the Hoyas stories as the case may be.

11/08/2023 9:28 am  #83

This is one of the many reasons I stopped getting the Post apppx 10 years ago... it really is a piece of shit rag.

moneybox wrote:

11/08/2023 9:32 am  #84

You're correct that this seems to be a lost cause. However, I would point out that the Post sports department seems to have plenty of room for about two pages of boys and girls high school sports each day including scores of field hockey games. I could somewhat understand the Post's terrible lack of resources had it not been for their greatly increased high school coverage. 

11/08/2023 9:34 am  #85

Great game Monday.  Granted it was against Stonehill, but the guys played well and put a beat down on a team we should have.  We all know that in recent years, we would have struggled, hence the low point spread (BTW thanks for padding my Fanduel account).

Although we were up at the half, it seemed in the first half we were content with playing like an NBA All Star game, some one on one and hoisting 3s without many, if any, passes.  I bet that could have been because the guys were pumped and knew it would be a blow out.  

In any case, it was great to see us on the victorious end of a beat down and not a disappointing loss like in the recent past.

11/08/2023 10:04 am  #86

Game Recap from FinestMagazine

11/08/2023 6:09 pm  #87

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Garrett Johnson scored  21 points in 24 minutes, shooting 8-10 from the field and 5-7 from the three.  He had 9 rebounds, 1 assist and a steal.   Does anyone remember a more auspicious start at GW for anyone playing his first college game GW?  Or for that matter, his first game at GW, even if not the first college game?   

LSF, I think we'll all be hard-pressed to find someone who played as efficiently and effectively in their first game in a GW uniform as Garrett just did.  Two very different examples come to mind.  Shawnta Rogers received a late start to his freshman season since he had to retake the SAT's and get his scores submitted and approved by the NCAA Clearinghouse.  Shawnta came off the bench for a 14 point, 7 assist, 5 rebound game over Cal State Sacramento but few would have seen this since it was at the Sacramento Holiday Classic. (The next night, he would score 9 of his 18 points in two overtime periods leading the team to a double OT win over Idaho.)

The more germane example that pops into my mind is that of Mo Creek.  Mo scored 12 points on just 3-9 shooting in his GW debut against Radford.  He would score his season high 27 just two games later, and 25 including the memorable dagger against Maryland in his 9th game.  Certainly, Mo's on-court performance in game #1 does not compare to Garrett's the other night.  What makes the comparison worthy is the medical history for both players leading up to their first GW games.  Both had missed so much time away from the game.  Mo returned to Indiana but played very sparingly, having been essentially replaced by Victor Oladipo.  In the case of both Mo and Garrett, I just wasn't sure what exactly we'd be seeing.  Jon Rothstein's prediction (of Garrett being in the starting lineup) was a little encouraging but at the same time, was he basing this on what the coaching staff may have said or on what he witnessed over the course of a single practice?  It was hard to put a ton of faith on that call.

FWIW, if Garrett can consistently play at this high a level (realizing that he likely can't sustain his current one-game stats for a season), he should be receiving some national publicity. 

11/08/2023 6:49 pm  #88

I cannot find the box score, but I seem to recall SirValient Brown had quite the opening night. (Game was against Indiana St in that Alaska tournament, game started about midnight Eastern, if I recall correctly, so memories of it might not be the most lucid).

11/08/2023 7:59 pm  #89

SirValiant scored 19 points in that game, according to his Wikipedia page. He followed it up with 18 points against Oklahoma.

Board footera