GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2023 12:20 pm  #1

Chris Caputo contract extended.

That didn't take long.  One season and one game.  Caroline McCombs was also extended.

11/09/2023 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Chris Caputo contract extended.

Bravo.  He's the right guy.

PS - It says they were extended before the season started.  Terms undisclosed.  Will (did?) help with recruiting.

11/09/2023 2:14 pm  #3

If you're convinced you have the right people, lock them up as best you can.  Well done TV.

11/09/2023 2:51 pm  #4

No idea what the terms are but the school has clearly done its part in recognizing what a gem Caputo is and the commitment required to try to keep him in Foggy Bottom. Now it’s time for the fan base to step up and do its part to achieve the consistently successful program that everyone claims to want. Buying season tickets is nice. Joining the President’s Club and participating in the Buff and Blue Challenge is a step beyond. Writing enthusiastic and positive, or at least constructive, posts helps. Returning the Smith Center to the intimidating venue it once was is essential. Students certainly did their part in the opener. Fans on the opposite side of the court may not be inclined to bring that same energy to the games for 40 minutes but they can compensate by bringing their checkbooks.

Caputo has been very open about the need for increased financial support for his program. NIL is part of the current landscape but he recognizes that not everyone is on-board with that approach. The 1732 Circle is the school’s latest fundraising effort but not everyone is in a position to contribute at that level. The school finally appears to be going forward with plans for the practice facility but that too may be a financial commitment out of reach for most here. But everyone is in a position to reevaluate how much they give to support basketball (and other sports) at GW. For those looking for progress and commitment from the team and the athletic department, we’re seeing that. It’s not all on Caputo and his staff and players. It’s not all on Granberg, Vogel and Montgomery. It’s on us to match their efforts in supporting a winning program. Won’t always be like Stonehill but hard not to believe that that wasn’t a glimpse of what can and will be. Just takes the money to support and sustain it. And that comes from us.

11/09/2023 6:03 pm  #5

An extension after one year for Caputo is certainly a statement by the athletic department/university. I'm more intrigued by the extension to McCombs. She got very far along in the hiring process at Pitt and with a good season I'm sure more P5s will come knocking. Very curious about the compensation and lengths of the contracts for both

11/09/2023 6:59 pm  #6

Good to see we recognized CC and ensured he will be part of the (long term) future.

11/09/2023 7:51 pm  #7

gwstudent2024 wrote:

An extension after one year for Caputo is certainly a statement by the athletic department/university. I'm more intrigued by the extension to McCombs. She got very far along in the hiring process at Pitt and with a good season I'm sure more P5s will come knocking. Very curious about the compensation and lengths of the contracts for both

I think the McCombs extension is good for two reasons: 1. She has shown she is definitely a top-half of the A10 coach and 2. If she does get poached, the buyout is probably higher now.

Happy to have McCombs around for as long as she wants to be here but if we do lose her the school will be a bit more protected.

11/10/2023 12:48 am  #8

GW0509 wrote:

I think the McCombs extension is good for two reasons: 1. She has shown she is definitely a top-half of the A10 coach and 2. If she does get poached, the buyout is probably higher now.

Happy to have McCombs around for as long as she wants to be here but if we do lose her the school will be a bit more protected.

Wish there was a like function on here

11/10/2023 7:20 am  #9

BM wrote:

Bravo.  He's the right guy.

💯

11/10/2023 11:53 am  #10

One curious point...the school is saying that no terms of the extensions will be announced per university policy.  While this has always been true pertaining to dollars, I am pretty sure that the school has announced lengths of extensions when making these announcements in the past.  Not sure why there should be a mystery as to whether the coach's were extended for another 2 years or 5 years or whatever the length might be.

11/10/2023 12:23 pm  #11

Not to be a contrarian here, but I don't love this.  While I like everything we have seen from CC so far, I'd still like him to prove it a little more before we go all with him.  MoJo looked ok his first season, and then the wheels started to fall off the next year.  JC looked like he showed a lot of promise after his first year, and was highly regarded across the coaching industry.  In the end, that all was fool's gold and he was proven to be not capable of handling an A-10 level program.  I'd like to see a little more from CC to show he is the real deal rather than giving him more time and money upfront and him showing that he isn't the right guy for the job, and we start over again, but have to spend more money to do it.

11/10/2023 1:31 pm  #12

porter71 wrote:

Not to be a contrarian here, but I don't love this.  While I like everything we have seen from CC so far, I'd still like him to prove it a little more before we go all with him.  MoJo looked ok his first season, and then the wheels started to fall off the next year.  JC looked like he showed a lot of promise after his first year, and was highly regarded across the coaching industry.  In the end, that all was fool's gold and he was proven to be not capable of handling an A-10 level program.  I'd like to see a little more from CC to show he is the real deal rather than giving him more time and money upfront and him showing that he isn't the right guy for the job, and we start over again, but have to spend more money to do it.

A very valid point.   On one hand, he appears to be the real deal and I am happy to have him here as long as possible.  On the other hand, I too may have waited for a second full season before extending.  Without minimizing what was accomplished last season the sample size may still be a bit too small to warrant an extension.  Notwithstanding, put me in the "pleased" camp.   Chris' willingness to sign the extension to me demonstrate that he is committed to the program and not here just as a stepping stone.  I think he might actually believes the things he says GW can be and that he is capable of taking us there.

11/10/2023 4:46 pm  #13

Coach Caputo has so clearly demonstrated his ability to coach at GW he deserves an extension now as indication of how much he is appreciated. He has proven to be an excellent game coach, recruiter, fundraiser and media presence. He is an exception to the normal time GW would wait to take this step.

11/10/2023 4:49 pm  #14

AT Hiker -you said it better than I could. Caputo has been a great hire.We need to keep him here as long 
as possible.

11/10/2023 5:09 pm  #15

I get the "lock ´em in" mindset and that contract extensions are really just a way to protect human resource assets, but what has Caputo proven that his initial contract either did not expect of him or was unable to ensure he maintains? Tommy Penders took GW to the NCAA´s his first season (with Jarvis´ talent), and boy am I glad he did not get an extension the first week of his second season in the job, although at that time I admit I was pretty happy with the hire.
So call me a jaded skeptic, but if less than 35 games and zero banners in to his tenure Caputo and/or Vogel wanted to renegotiate his terms of employment then forgive me for being a tad perplexed.

11/10/2023 5:27 pm  #16

Thrilled with CC so far, in numerous ways. He hasn't been here long, but certainly seems like the real deal. Stonehill was a real signal, if we keep it up.  And just the way CC has conducted himself publicly so far is exemplary.
It does seem odd timing, as opposed to doing this in the spring, as believe he had a five-year contract, so recruiting shouldn't be hindered.
     We may hear otherwise from some on the board, but the market for coaches, who get greatly rewarded when they perform as expected or better, or are able to leave their contracts for greener pastures--and usually also rewarded when they fail, is different than real life for most (except maybe for high corporate officials with golden parachutes). That's the system. In CC's case, he has a family and certainly should get what he can when we can. 
   Having said that, really impressed by CC as a good coach, motivator and thoughtful recruiter given our limitations, as well as a straightforward and good guy.
    The real question is: does this do anything to lock him up?
What if Miami or a similar team comes calling?
 If it locks CC up in a reasonable way, then we would certainly be getting something for extending now.

11/10/2023 6:06 pm  #17

porter71 wrote:

MoJo looked ok year one?  No way, man.  He inherited a solid roster but it was obvious he didn’t have it very quickly.  I (and others) was shocked when Nero extended him.

JC wasn’t as clearly in over his head in year 1, but when the team wasn’t playing anything resembling mayhem and when he never said anything more after a loss than we need to be connected and share the love, I think most of us started to wonder if he was right. 

With Caputo, I don’t think there’s much doubt.  How high he can lead us remains to be seen, but I don’t think there’s any better fit anywhere.  He’s clearly the guy.

11/10/2023 6:21 pm  #18

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I get the "lock ´em in" mindset and that contract extensions are really just a way to protect human resource assets, but what has Caputo proven that his initial contract either did not expect of him or was unable to ensure he maintains? Tommy Penders took GW to the NCAA´s his first season (with Jarvis´ talent), and boy am I glad he did not get an extension the first week of his second season in the job, although at that time I admit I was pretty happy with the hire.
So call me a jaded skeptic, but if less than 35 games and zero banners in to his tenure Caputo and/or Vogel wanted to renegotiate his terms of employment then forgive me for being a tad perplexed.

I disagree with this on so many levels.

If you are unsure what CC has proven thus far, maybe you should think back and recall JC (who was starting to bring in talent, after badly underestimating the prerequisite talent level that would be needed initially, and who often looked like he wasn't really coaching), or MoJo who was sadly in over his head in every conceivable manner.  CC is getting talent and coaching them up.  What may be though even more impressive is what he's been doing behind the scenes.  He shows up at Hillel after the Hamas attacks.  He shows up at fraternities and I'm sure other student groups, selling his product.  He put the practice facility project back in motion.  He's arranged to charter flights for many away games.  He's essentially told the school, "here's what you need to invest in order to have a chance at building a winner."  And the fact that the school has complied indicates why CC agreed to an extension.  He may very well not have agreed to an extension otherwise.

One last thought:  every day you don't extend a contract is a day that a competitor could be showing interest.  Like I said, if you're convinced you have a winner, there's not only no reason to wait, but waiting can turn out to be detrimental.

11/10/2023 8:09 pm  #19

I think extending CC is a great idea, McCombs on the other hand - maybe not.  She has her teams playing decent defense - but it seems she can take an average offensive player and turn them them into a mediocre one.

2/07/2024 10:15 am  #20

I wanted to re-up this thread due to the recent losing streaks by both the men and women's teams.  This isn't meant as an "I told you so", but more to gauge the temperature in the room the way the season has progressed for both teams.  Are we still as convinced that these extensions were the right move, or do you think knowing what we know now that we should have taken a more conservative approach?

Board footera