GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2023 3:21 pm  #1

A10 POY, GW All Time Leading Scorer Races

The race for Player of The Year and the career record for points is on. 

JBIV :  32 points, 5 dimes 5 boards,  15 for 16 from the line.

11/28/2023 3:23 am  #2

Re: A10 POY, GW All Time Leading Scorer Races

James Bishop is averaging 21 points 5 assists and 93% FT  leading GW to 6-1 start

The A10 POY leading candidate and taking dead aim at the all time GW leading scorer title

11/28/2023 3:48 am  #3

If we play 2 games in the A10 tourney and no postseason, he’d need to average about 22.5 ppg to catch Monroe (and that’s only if you include games against non-D1 teams).

11/28/2023 8:39 am  #4

He'd also likely do it in less games than Chris due to the abbreviated Covid season.  Not sure how games against Div II teams figure into this.  I don't think we had them when Chris played.

11/28/2023 9:51 am  #5

Somewhat related to BM's point, what's also very special about this is that JB will either break or come close to breaking the scoring record while playing for four seasons at GW.  It seems inevitable that someone will come along who will play here for five seasons, become the new record-holder, only to have an asterisk next to his record.

As long as DaRon Holmes is playing for Dayton and Dayton is successful, it's probably inaccurate to refer to James as the leading POY candidate though he is most definitely in the conversation.  As we learned as recently as last season, the guy with the best numbers does not necessarily win the award.  And since a clear case could have been made that Holmes should have won it last year, he will undoubtedly receive a number of "we owe you" type votes.

Record or no record, we should all enjoy and appreciate what JB is doing out on the court.  He's the interesting case of a player who may be just as skilled today as when he first arrived at GW but through hard work and better coaching has turned out to be a far better player.

11/28/2023 11:30 am  #6

While it would be a great accomplishment for Bishop to become GW's all-time leading scorer, I am not sure that is what we want from a team perspective heading into A-10 play. The more balanced our scoring, the better team we will likely be. The concept being coaches can limit one guy so we don't want to become too one dimensional. A-10 play is different than non-conference due to familiarity. James is an exceptional scorer but it will be hard for James to maintain 22 ppg through A-10 play. Very few players have averaged that many points in A-10 play - just 20 times in the history of A-10 and only one - Jack Gibbs (who did it twice) - since 2003-04. This may be a situation where he will come close but not quite get there. Regardless of what happens, he will have a great GW career statistically.

11/28/2023 1:03 pm  #7

errr... Bishop averaged 22.2 in conference games last season.

11/28/2023 1:07 pm  #8

Free Quebec wrote:

If we play 2 games in the A10 tourney and no postseason, he’d need to average about 22.5 ppg to catch Monroe (and that’s only if you include games against non-D1 teams).

With a 6-1 record it looks likely we'll play postseason games.

11/28/2023 1:32 pm  #9

GWRising wrote:

While it would be a great accomplishment for Bishop to become GW's all-time leading scorer, I am not sure that is what we want from a team perspective heading into A-10 play. The more balanced our scoring, the better team we will likely be. The concept being coaches can limit one guy so we don't want to become too one dimensional. A-10 play is different than non-conference due to familiarity. James is an exceptional scorer but it will be hard for James to maintain 22 ppg through A-10 play. Very few players have averaged that many points in A-10 play - just 20 times in the history of A-10 and only one - Jack Gibbs (who did it twice) - since 2003-04. This may be a situation where he will come close but not quite get there. Regardless of what happens, he will have a great GW career statistically.

Exactly.   As the newcomers develop, it would be expected that they will carry more of the scoring load.  In fact, one thing that bothered me a bit during this past tournament was at times, the team looked like previous teams in which we were over reliant on JVIV and that if he didn't score, we didn't score.   

11/28/2023 3:49 pm  #10

BM wrote:

errr... Bishop averaged 22.2 in conference games last season.

You are correct. I was looking at overall ppg. Sorry I wasn't clear ... should have said through A-10 play not "in A10 play". But point still stands. Not sure we will win as much if James is scoring 22 ppg through the entire season.

11/28/2023 4:32 pm  #11

The idea for any hope to win and for the future is a team effort.
We have been overreliant on James, as LSF noted most recently, in the tournament. Which
was generally good, but not for the long term.
It's not a group of individuals, however talented.
And James certainly would want to show he can be on a winning team and be on a
winning team for his final year at GW.

11/28/2023 4:58 pm  #12

It didn't bother me very much that GW won a thrilling double overtime game against a very good Ohio team, or that the team fought like hell to overcome a 16 point deficit to knock off Delaware.  Both games were certainly uncomfortable at times as neither could be considered anything close to a walk in the park.  Let's not kid ourselves though...it was JBIV being JBIV down the stretch of those games that had an awful lot to do with the final scores being what they were.  (Obviously the same can't be said for UIC but I will say that coming off a double OT late game, coupled with playing a team who won by 30 the day before and had more rest, represented a terrible spot for GW.)

I have always been about preferring balanced attacks and having 5 guys on the court who can beat you.  But, and this is a big but, James and the team moving away from this and his doing whatever needs to be done to win games can not and should not be overlooked. Most players can not begin to accomplish what James seems to be able to do whenever he is needed to help take over a contest.  His shot selection, save for the occasional long 3 pointer, is notably better.  He draws contact as well as anyone and is near automatic at the line when games are on the line.  He is also far more likely today to drive and dish rather than always be the one to take the big shots.

The team has 6 wins and only in 1 was JB a complete nonfactor because he simply did not have to be.  Even the UNH game where his shooting was off still resulted in a game when he had 7 rebounds, 8 assists, and shot 7-8 from the line.  Probably not a coincidence that he shot just 10 times in 36 minutes given that 6 of his teammates scored at least 7 points apiece.

The reality is that while we would all like to ideally see a balanced effort from start to finish, everyone from CC and his coaches to his players all realize that when a game hangs in the balance, it's far better that JB has the ball as opposed to serve as a decoy.  And as long as the wins keep coming, I'm not sure there's much to do but appreciate what we have in JB, an incredibly special talent, who has the ability and knowhow to close out games.

11/28/2023 5:24 pm  #13

LeBron. Michael. Steph.

11/28/2023 5:25 pm  #14

28.9 ppg  Bob Tallent Long time ago.

11/28/2023 7:33 pm  #15

One thing interesting, and I know someone else commented on this, but James is not taking the 6-12 foot pull ups that were his bread and butter the last three years.  He’s either getting all the way to the rim or passing.  I’m sure that is a coaching move, striving to increase our 3&rim %, which was low last year (because we were efficient in the midrange).   

James can get that pull up any time, but getting to the rim or passing more will help him play as a pro somewhere.

11/28/2023 9:33 pm  #16

Although James is only scoring slightly less (20.9 ppg) than last year (21.6 ppg), the team is scoring almost 10 more ppg than last year (84.7 vs. 76.3 ppg). So his percentage of the team’s points is significantly lower. That’s the difference.

12/03/2023 2:54 am  #17

James is averaging 20 points 5 dimes and 40% from 3. and 93% from the line, his shooting marks have rocketed up this year.

40% is a career high as is 93%.   If JBIV can sustain this level of shooting, does he have a possible future as a points off the bench NBA piece?

12/03/2023 11:05 am  #18

James and Max are still adjusting to their new teammates and vice versa.  Both of them prefer scoring off the dribble which seems to get the ball stuck.  Very little catch and shoot and drives to the hoop end in off balance prayers that haven’t even been close.  We need to finish stronger and get more physical in all aspects.

Don’t think James has the footspeed or ballhandling abilities for the next level. He can score and get hot, but  we’re seeing difficulties with ball movement by him and Max. 

They’re both very talented but I think they have some adjustments yet to be made in order to improve this teams chances.  Until then we’ll keep seeing bad body language and emotional outbursts when things don’t go their way.

12/03/2023 8:56 pm  #19

The Dude wrote:

James is averaging 20 points 5 dimes and 40% from 3. and 93% from the line, his shooting marks have rocketed up this year.

40% is a career high as is 93%.   If JBIV can sustain this level of shooting, does he have a possible future as a points off the bench NBA piece?

Love James, but I don’t see his defense playing in the NBA, given that he often struggles to keep his man in front of him at college level (though he’s improved a lot).

He will have a nice career and make money playing basketball overseas.

12/04/2023 10:03 pm  #20

I think as a candidate for extended minutes you're likely right, but for a potential  few minutes of scoring punch  off the bench, I think its more important he shows he can shot the ball at a high level.

Will be interesting to see, I'd think at minimum he gets a look in an NBA camp as Brendan Adams did this summer

Board footera