GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2024 12:53 am  #21

Re: A10 POY, GW All Time Leading Scorer Races

Hopefully, a performance like tonight, will be remembered when the votes for A10 POY come in.  

JBIV played a lot of games this year trying to unselfishly get everyone else involved, anytime GW has needed him, he's been delivering these 30ish point gems.    His ability to flick the switch and pour in points when needed, is rivaled by few in GW history.

1/08/2024 1:36 pm  #22

James was named A10 player of the week again!

on Saturday at VCU via his game-winning dagger with 1.7 seconds remaining. Overall, Bishop averaged an eye-popping 30.0 ppg in the two contests on 52.9% shooting (18/34), 54.5% 3-point accuracy (8/14) and an 81.8% showing at the free-throw line (18/22). He also added 5.0 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.5 bpg and 1.0 spg.

The game-winner Saturday finished off a 28-point showing at VCU, 23 of which came after halftime. On Wednesday, Bishop matched his season high with 32 points vs. Fordham, playing 51 minutes in the contest while adding six assists, five rebounds and a career-high three blocks.

For the fourth-straight year, Bishop is in the top two of the A-10 in scoring at 18.5 ppg. He also ranks third in the league with 4.7 assists per game. He is one of just five players nationally with those averages this year.

Last edited by The Dude (1/08/2024 2:37 pm)

1/11/2024 5:47 pm  #23

He would have to pick up the pace considerably to break the all-time scoring record or have a long post seasons both of which are possible

More importantly he and the coach have turned the program around!!
One sason ago, James Bishop IV became the first George Washington University men’s basketball player to lead the Atlantic 10 Conference in scoring since 2000, as the Baltimore native averaged 21.6 points per game while becoming the first, first-team all-conference honoree at GW since 2006.

Odds are, the senior-to-be held several cards deciding the fate of how he would extend his basketball career. Returning to GW was ultimately the deck he chose, in part because he trusted the vision that second-year coach Chris Caputo had for both the short- and long-term of the program.

once again, Bishop IV is lighting up the scoreboard and stuffing the stat sheet for the Revolutionaries, who themselves are off to their best start in nearly a decade.

“I think it was just what we were building at the school,” Bishop IV said of his return. “This program has been really up and coming the last couple of years, and I’ve spent a lot of time here. I’m comfortable here. It’s close to my home. And I just believe in what Coach Caputo has planned for the program, and you’re starting to see it.”

It’s easy to understand why an offensive-minded player such as Bishop IV finds Caputo’s system enticing. The Revolutionaries are averaging more than 80 points per game and have the freedom to push the ball in transition and shoot early in the shot clock.

That offensive output has been a big reason for the team’s 12-3 record.

2/10/2024 2:13 pm  #24

25 points 7 assists and 5 boards for James Bishop

JBIV is now 3rd on the all time GW scoring list and second in assists

2/10/2024 5:39 pm  #25

Congrats to James! I’m pretty sure A10 POY is out, considering our record, but James will always be a GW all time great.

2/12/2024 6:19 pm  #26

Congrats to James on surpassing the great Mike Brown for third place on the school's all-time scoring list.  JBIV is a tremendous talent.  He was never really in the POY discussion with Daron Holmes wreaking havoc the way he has, but he has nevertheless been a great scorer and willing playmaker.

I can't speak to the Joe Holup years, but I don't think that it's a coincidence that Chris Monroe, Mike Brown, and JB are all likely to be remembered as great players on fairly pedestrian GW teams.  Seems like the best teams we've had over the years were comprised of many scoring options utilizing a share the ball philosophy, rather than a single primary scoring option.  Ironic in a way that JB would reach his milestone in the presence of Carl Elliott, a great team player during the Hobbs era who was in town as a Hall of Fame Inductee.

Board footera