GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2019 8:35 pm  #41

Re: GW vs MORGAN ST Game Thread

With Toro out of the game, Morgan State eventually adjusted and we did not respond.  They simply drove to the basket repeatedly looking to beat their defender (or rotation) and crashed the boards hard om misses.  At one point late in the second half they were out-rebounding us 17-15 on the defensive glass-a number you rarely see that late in a game.   What was it--40 points in the paint to 18?  Would a zone have helped--even for just a few minutes?

On offense, four games shooting 30 treys at a 30% clip or less.  I suppose on some stray nights we'll hit near a 50% rate and look great--but that's not really looking like a sweet or real option right now.  And none of dizzying array of rotations have seemed to click just yet..   

11/17/2019 8:44 am  #42

In light of Mazz and Mezie playing time, or lack of it, perhaps JC is laying the groundwork for MoJo's guys to transfer and bringing in more of his own guys.

11/17/2019 3:31 pm  #43

I don’t understand playing the defense  they do with the personnel they have and would Mazz be a defender you want on the court?  More importantly you don’t have an all 3 shooting team why not  let some guys shoot 2s?

11/17/2019 4:04 pm  #44

Have we played zone at all?

11/17/2019 4:22 pm  #45

GW0509 wrote:

Have we played zone at all?

JC doesn't do zone.

11/17/2019 5:32 pm  #46

Maybe time to bring back the 1-3-1. Jameer might be able to be the good Kethan. Or really any type of zone.
If for nothing else, just to change up the look to give opponents pause.
Meanwhile, lesser teams slice through us like a knife.

11/17/2019 6:17 pm  #47

How exactly are we going to defend the better, bigger, A10 teams?
I'd expect to see some zone.

11/19/2019 12:35 pm  #48

Toughest loss, we have a long way to go. We're probably further behind than the team Lonegran inherited in his first year but there's one key difference, albeit, a subjective one - Energy!! JC had them jazzed up throughout the game and they never hung their heads down. Offense is going through its growing pains but I see the vision. It's easy to write this one off as an embarrassing loss (I was livid when were down 10) but in a strange way, I never felt better about JC and the future for this program. 

11/19/2019 3:26 pm  #49

JC seems to be a good motivator,except for odd playing time choices.
But not sure we have been playing whole games with great energy.
Maybe good parts of one half during comebacks.
Hope is we put it together starting in the Bahamas.

11/19/2019 5:39 pm  #50

Maybe our talent isn't very good.  Maybe when someone like Ace Stallings recuited to play at Mount St Marys slots into the GW rotation out of sheer necessity, we have a talent issue, more than X and Os issues

11/19/2019 6:03 pm  #51

The Dude wrote:

If anything I'd say Javy, is underrated.  He's just got some athletic limitations, so the ceiling is pretty low.

The guy who is overrated, frankly is Toro, who as a 4 year (3 I guess, +1 injury year) remains looking a lot like the guy he arrived as.  A guy whose ceiling also seemed kinda low, and it has remained low.  His floor is acceptably high though.  I just don't think there's much for growth, he can't shoot, he's not long enough to block shots, he hasn't developed much offense.  But, on a team lacking enough talent both figure to have a role. 
We've got to bring in more talent, particularly in the Frontcourt.

As the person who felt that AT is essentially the same overrated player as he was freshman year, with no apparent ceiling to speak of, you'll forgive me if I don't heavily rely upon you for talent evaluation.  

Board footera