GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2024 7:17 pm  #1

In-Season Media Attention

Our GWHoops Community has pointed out on too many occasions when we fail to gain any media coverage.  I think it’s important to note when we do. 

Nice article in the Post. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/15/george-washington-george-mason-mens-bsketball/

1/15/2024 7:54 pm  #2

Re: In-Season Media Attention

Good to see. Channel 7 had nothing at 6. Though they did features Commanders speculation, etc.

1/15/2024 8:22 pm  #3

Patrick Stevens is always at GW games

1/15/2024 9:35 pm  #4

Alum '04 wrote:

Patrick Stevens is always at GW games

He's often at games, but only occasionally there for the Post.

1/19/2024 1:39 pm  #5

Darren Buchanan is the first name listed on the On3 Ten Mid-Major Transfers to Watch:

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/college-basketball-ten-mid-major-transfers-to-watch/

1/19/2024 2:19 pm  #6

Darren is a terrific contributor, with big games almost quietly, outside of the 38-point performance.
He has amazing versatility.
So far, we certainly seem to have a tremendous recruiting class this year, courtesy of CC and the staff. 
Add a couple more parts in the spring and we could be looking at years of success.

1/19/2024 2:56 pm  #7

MG14 wrote:

Darren Buchanan is the first name listed on the On3 Ten Mid-Major Transfers to Watch:

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/college-basketball-ten-mid-major-transfers-to-watch/

The names do appear alphabetically but sure, Buchanan does go first.

1/19/2024 3:14 pm  #8

Gwmayhem wrote:

MG14 wrote:

The names do appear alphabetically but sure, Buchanan does go first.

I completely missed that

1/19/2024 4:27 pm  #9

If I was watching this team 10 or 15 years ago, I would be really excited about how well we are playing with 4 freshmen and a sophomore in the regular rotation, thinking that we would be a Top 25 team in 2 or 3 years. But unfortunately, that's not the way it is today. Coaches must recruit, including their own players, every single year. And it's a lot harder for mid-majors than majors. I really hope Caputo can keep all 5 of those guys next year, but history suggests that won't happen. It is what it is.

Last edited by DC Native (1/19/2024 4:28 pm)

1/19/2024 4:54 pm  #10

In the NIL conversation last night it was mentioned that they raised "in the mid six figures" in their first year.  It's no ACC budget, but it's not like we're helpless.  GW has a pretty wealthy alumni base and people are more comfortable spending their own money versus giving to their university to spend.

1/19/2024 5:19 pm  #11

I think some of the guys were brought in under the assumption they wouldn't be able to transfer again because they'd already transferred and that would allow for some stability and to have a more "traditional" approach to development. Obviously circumstances have changed now and it seems like players may be able to transfer multiple times. It's frustrating to build a team in a way you thought was taking advantage of the rules that existed when you recruited these guys and then being burned for it a few months later when the courts decide to step in and invalidate those rules

1/19/2024 5:19 pm  #12

BM wrote:

In the NIL conversation last night it was mentioned that they raised "in the mid six figures" in their first year.  It's no ACC budget, but it's not like we're helpless.  GW has a pretty wealthy alumni base and people are more comfortable spending their own money versus giving to their university to spend.

That's great news! Can you summarize what happened in the meeting? Someone asked in the NIL thread there too if you'd like to post it there instead to stay on topic

1/20/2024 8:16 am  #13

BM wrote:

Except that NIL donations aren't tax deductible, but donations to the basketball team via the University are.

1/21/2024 12:41 pm  #14

I don’t think this podcast with CC got posted.

I was impressed by the host making an Andry Sola reference.  He’s the guy who tipped the offensive  rebound that led to Shawnta’s buzzer beating three against Xavier to win the A10. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/full-court-press-podcast-a-college-basketball-experience/id1679674752?i=1000642083662

Last edited by Free Quebec (1/21/2024 10:03 pm)

1/21/2024 7:40 pm  #15

Free Quebec wrote:

I don’t think this podcast with CC got posted.

I was impressed by the host making an Andry Sola reference.  He’s the guy who tipped the offensive  that led to Shawnta’s buzzer beating three against Xavier to win the A10. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/full-court-press-podcast-a-college-basketball-experience/id1679674752?i=1000642083662

He tried to play it off as a joke but the host definitely called us Georgetown by mistake.

Good pod otherwise.

1/23/2024 11:01 pm  #16

I'm planning on speaking with Zak Boisvert, CC and potentially a player later this week for a profile story I'm doing about ZB for one of my classes. I've already got a bunch of questions but if anyone has any questions they think I should ask, I'd love suggestions! They can be about ZB/his background or just the team in general

1/23/2024 11:09 pm  #17

Would be interesting to hear which one of the countries he’s scouted have surprised him with the amount of talent

1/24/2024 8:58 pm  #18

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I'm planning on speaking with Zak Boisvert, CC and potentially a player later this week for a profile story I'm doing about ZB for one of my classes. I've already got a bunch of questions but if anyone has any questions they think I should ask, I'd love suggestions! They can be about ZB/his background or just the team in general

Can you ask him why we keep giving up record setting three point shooting performances?

Board footera