GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2024 9:44 am  #1

PA volume at games

Has anyone else noticed that the school has turned up the volume on the PA system at games? It was SO LOUD last night. I don't remember the Smith Center ever having the volume up so loud in my 13 years attending games.

I hope this isn't my "get off my lawn" moment, but the increased volume isn't necessary. I hope the school isn't taking the NBA's approach to games where it's the louder, the better.

1/28/2024 8:00 pm  #2

Re: PA volume at games

I agree completly that the PA system was just too loud. And that's what everyone sitting near me also said last night. Do we really need this was the question of many people. How do we get it to stop? Is someone trying to chase fans away?  It's ridiculous. It's just amateurish. Not sure why our marketing people believe the PA system needs to be that loud.  Never close to being this loud before. Much louder than the other arenas ( areans of Power 5 schools and NBA teams) I have been in the last few years. It sure comes across as if our marketing people think the fans aren't interested enough in our basketball team and that turning up the volumne is what we need to enhance the fan experience. Here's an idea, let's trust the fans to make noise instead of a PA system.

1/29/2024 1:45 am  #3

It's not so much the volume, but rather the very poor quality of the audio that bothers me.   So much static and interference.   Let's invest in a higher quality set up that might allow one to actually comprehend the announcements, introductions, etc.   Reminds me of listening to the speaker on an old $19.99 turntable back in the day.

1/29/2024 3:26 pm  #4

The good news is Saturday was the first time I could hear the PA at all this season.  The bad news is I couldn't hear myself think

1/29/2024 4:10 pm  #5

I spoke with one of the staff.  They obviously knew about the sound quality issues and last week had someone in to do repair. Clearly it worked.

They also indicated that they’re still trying to get the sound balance right and they did lower the volume about the time the game started. It was still too loud in my mind, but I do know that they are working on it.

1/29/2024 4:49 pm  #6

Ralphie wrote:

It's not so much the volume, but rather the very poor quality of the audio that bothers me.   So much static and interference.   Let's invest in a higher quality set up that might allow one to actually comprehend the announcements, introductions, etc.   Reminds me of listening to the speaker on an old $19.99 turntable back in the day.

This is the issue, not the volume. At the Mason game the quality was horrible. Like the walkie talkies I used as a kid. That bad. Turning it up is lip sticking the pig. Fix the fucking thing or get. New one. It’s 2024.

Last edited by Alum1 (1/29/2024 4:49 pm)

1/29/2024 5:09 pm  #7

It was absurdly loud. And I’m under 45.  In general,would have much preferred the band.

Board footera