GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2024 2:13 pm  #1

2024 Transfer Portal Szn

Never too early to start speculating on transfer targets

@JonRothstein 
Syracuse has dismissed Benny Williams, per release.

Assuming this is not for any serious issue, may be someone we want to bring home as an experienced front court player.  Looks like Miami offered him out of high school so Caputo may have some relationship with him.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/06/2024 2:16 pm)

2/06/2024 2:24 pm  #2

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal Szn

Very leery of those dismissed from teams, but given our numerous relationship ties with Syracuse, we should be able to find out why he was dismissed.

2/06/2024 2:50 pm  #3

Seems like it was attitude concerns in terms of him refusing to go back into games and disrespecting the coaches. Apparently he'd been suspended twice earlier in the year and it seems like the final straw was his behavior after the game Saturday when he spit on the floor, refused to participate in the handshake line and intentionally bumped into Red Autry as he was leaving the court.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole but there are some connections that can be made: Miami offer out of high school, a current GW player's dad is the Syracuse coach (along with a former assistant being on the staff as well), he's from Maryland and attended St. Andrew's Episcopal

3/11/2024 10:35 am  #4

As we've experienced from previous years, following these posts tend to be very suspect but at the same time it can be fun.,

So dont get too caught up in these posts, just enjoy the possibilities.  As GWRising has said many times these reports are often being driven by the players and may not indicate true interest.

But with that said here is the first

Fairleigh-Dickinson transfer Sean Moore has been contacted by several programs including: Louisville Towson Jacksonville State George Washington College of Charleston UNCG WKU UAB Kent State Robert Morris Akron Iona George Mason Marshall UNCW Southern Indiana Ohio

Best know for his 19pts against Purdue in the NCAA 

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/11/2024 10:36 am)

3/12/2024 12:54 pm  #5

Per Joe Tipton, GW has reached out to Penn G Clark Slajchert

The 6-1 guard averaged 18.0 PPG this season on 42% from three. Native of Los Angeles, CA.

3/13/2024 10:51 am  #6

Florida Colonial wrote:

As we've experienced from previous years, following these posts tend to be very suspect but at the same time it can be fun.,

So dont get too caught up in these posts, just enjoy the possibilities.  As GWRising has said many times these reports are often being driven by the players and may not indicate true interest.

But with that said here is the first

Fairleigh-Dickinson transfer Sean Moore has been contacted by several programs including: Louisville Towson Jacksonville State George Washington College of Charleston UNCG WKU UAB Kent State Robert Morris Akron Iona George Mason Marshall UNCW Southern Indiana Ohio

Best know for his 19pts against Purdue in the NCAA 

Yes, just to reiterate GW staff will reach out to many players, some with genuine interest, others to kick the tires and find out more. The other factor is that kids aren't that reliable in what they post on social media or what they tell others who post on social media in terms of distinguishing between interest, serious interest, and offers. So enjoy the free-for-all but take it with a grain of salt. Commitments are what matter. Everything else is just noise until then.

3/13/2024 12:49 pm  #7

I still like to see who's in the mix even if the majority of these players don't end up here. Not sure why anyone would think anything is remotely solid when we are listed alongside 25 other schools.

3/13/2024 3:07 pm  #8

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Seems like it was attitude concerns in terms of him refusing to go back into games and disrespecting the coaches. Apparently he'd been suspended twice earlier in the year and it seems like the final straw was his behavior after the game Saturday when he spit on the floor, refused to participate in the handshake line and intentionally bumped into Red Autry as he was leaving the court.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole but there are some connections that can be made: Miami offer out of high school, a current GW player's dad is the Syracuse coach (along with a former assistant being on the staff as well), he's from Maryland and attended St. Andrew's Episcopal

Agree 💯. Hard pass

3/13/2024 4:59 pm  #9

Since we got bounced from the conference tournament on Day 1, our season is over and yet here we
are on the day after the season ended, don't see why good-spirited speculation and or reports of recruits wouldn't be encouraged.
   We are all painfully aware of the reality and caution about landing players (if not,see our big man situation this year).
   However, since GW69 may not be around anymore to cure our psyches from our GW basketball delusions, talking about potential recruits seems like a harmless way to pass the time.

3/13/2024 8:14 pm  #10

Queens junior AJ McKee tells 
@On3sports
 he’s heard from these schools since entering the transfer portal…

Appalachian St.
Gorge Washington
East Carolina
East Tennessee St.
Iona
UMass

The 6-2 G averaged 18.8 points & 1.7 steals this season. Grad Transfer. 

3/14/2024 9:45 am  #12

@ThePortalReport 
VMI transfer F Stephen Olowoniyi (@StephenOlowoni3) has received interest from the following programs: 
George Washington Maine North Texas FDU University of New Orleans Iona Northwestern State

Previous post with more info on him:

VMI freshman Stephen Olowoniyi tells me that’s he’s planning to enter the transfer portal  The 6’8 Australian big averaged 7.8 PPG, 5.3 RPG and 1 BPG High level athleticism, great tools and good raw upside.

https://vmikeydets.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/stephen-olowoniyi/7485

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/14/2024 9:47 am)

3/14/2024 10:35 am  #13

Unless anyone is unexpectedly leaving, let's stop talking to 6' 2" guys.  Max, Jacoi, Trey, Christian, Ty.  GW has already become Wingstop.

3/14/2024 10:58 am  #14

Gwmayhem wrote:

Unless anyone is unexpectedly leaving, let's stop talking to 6' 2" guys.  Max, Jacoi, Trey, Christian, Ty.  GW has already become Wingstop.

I think there's a need for a veteran "break in case of emergency guy" a la Armel Potter or EJ Clark but agree that's not our #1 issue at the moment and those guys can get got late in the summer.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/14/2024 10:58 am)

3/14/2024 12:39 pm  #15

Gwmayhem wrote:

Not sure I agree.  With James leaving, we have an opening for a high scoring, high usage guard.

3/14/2024 12:56 pm  #16

We did brilliantly in getting everyone but bigs (needed more than Stretch) But not getting the big/bigger guys we could get was a mistake last year, no matter the factors. 
 No excuse for repeating it

3/14/2024 1:05 pm  #17

One experienced guard who can come in and contribute right away and push the young guys and then 4's and 5's . Unless we lose players  (Yes I edited this post, I meant 4's and 5's from the beginning, just cant type lol)

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/14/2024 2:57 pm)

3/14/2024 1:42 pm  #18

Would love a replacement for Bishop with more positional size than Bishop has

3/14/2024 1:45 pm  #19

If I were a betting man, I'd focus on these areas for GW:

1. 5 man (likely 2)
2. Combo veteran guard
3. Longer wing who can shoot but is athletic (6-6 to 6-8)

That assumes everyone stays.

3/14/2024 3:19 pm  #20

If Max, Jacoi, Trey, Jun and Garrett all return, with the possibility of Christian and Ty giving the team something, that's more than enough usage for me with each of the returnees being a capable scorer and assist guy.  This team needs power forwards and centers.  Desperately.

Board footera