GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2024 8:02 pm  #42

Re: GW vs George Mason Game

I’m getting Vanderbilt flashbacks…

2/13/2024 8:05 pm  #43

DC Native wrote:

I’m getting Vanderbilt flashbacks…

That was an NCAA Tournament game, not a 7th straight regular season loss.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (2/13/2024 8:06 pm)

2/13/2024 8:11 pm  #44

The good news is that GW will lose their 8th consecutive game on Saturday against Richmond, fall to 3-9 in conference, and then play six extremely winnable games to stay out of the pillow fight. This team was never playing for an at-large bid in the first place (though I did briefly have NIT/CBI hopes), so it's always been about catching fire in Brooklyn. There's still time to break out of this slump and find some form.

2/13/2024 8:20 pm  #45

That sequence was the epitome of our season.  We play hard and force a miss, but give up an offensive rebound. Fortunately they miss again and we get the rebound, only to throw it away in the backcourt for a layup. 

Then max makes a good move, but doesn’t finish, and the rebound is kind of up for grabs but they outhustle us to grab it, and then as they come down, we get caught flat footed and give up a 3 point play as the other Amtrak attacks while we react slowly and too late. 

(And as I type this, max misses another good shot, and then their player comes down and makes a contested shot for his career high - yet another role player with his game of the season against us.)

2/13/2024 8:25 pm  #46

Just leaving. This here.  The 1-27 team in 88-89 never lost by more than 35 (at West Virginia).

2/13/2024 8:30 pm  #47

Way too late, but playing much better now, even some good ball movement. Nice game by Smith.

2/13/2024 8:30 pm  #48

It’s extended garbage time, but we are actually rotating the ball well now and getting much better looks.  It’s no coincidence that this is happening with Bishop on the bench.

2/13/2024 8:31 pm  #49

Ha ha.  We made them take a timeout!!! --THEY DON'T WANT THIS HEAT!!!

2/13/2024 8:32 pm  #50

DC Native wrote:

Way too late, but playing much better now, even some good ball movement. Nice game by Smith.

It is amazing how many open shots are created when the ball is moved around and players without the ball are in motion. Coach might want to make that a part of the offense from the opening tip.

2/13/2024 8:32 pm  #51

Woodie Newton.

2/13/2024 8:37 pm  #52

Why are dudes in speedos throwing shirts in to the crowd? Shouldn't they put those shirts on?

2/13/2024 8:40 pm  #53

Wife saw water on floor near commode. Tank nut bolt rusted away. Plumbing is a pain for an old man. Or anyone. Ugh! Well the fix seems to work for now. I hope. 84-61. Still just flinging 3 point shots up. In NJ HS basketball, if a score is out of hand, they have a running clock. The clock doesn't stop unless there is a timeout . A mercy system.

2/13/2024 8:41 pm  #54

First free throws of season for Zam?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/13/2024 8:45 pm)

2/13/2024 8:48 pm  #55

That was a poor outing. If you are looking for a reason to be hopeful, RevsBall opens its season this weekend.

2/13/2024 8:52 pm  #56

Just completely hopeless at this point. I honestly thought we had a chance earlier in the season to finish in the top 4. What a pipe dream.

Think I'll start checking out Howard games. They're in the neighborhood.

2/13/2024 9:02 pm  #57

I thought this was a disgraceful performance by both the players and the coaching staff. GW was unprepared to start the game. Our offense at first consisted of Max chucking a 35 foot shot only to allow Mason to score 3 quick 3 pointers. Bishop was also out of control. We had no plays. No attempt at low post scoring. I believe for the first half we had no offensive rebounds. Max kills the team with his desperate shots. There was no aggressiveness except for A. Smith who had a strong game. Players stood around when rebounds were to be had. We were behind by 27 at the half and Mason was shooting over 60%. This is on the coaching staff. Controlling pace and tempo is foreign to them. A 15 game losing streak to end the season is certainly a possibility.

2/13/2024 9:05 pm  #58

Sorry, but this one hits hard. You lose six in a row, you try doing things differently. Frankly,  that’s waiting too late, but for crissakes, what will it take for this guy to try a different offensive scheme?  Is it stubbornness?  Is it intransigence?  Or is it coming down to an inability to see what we are all seeing?  Maybe show up tonight  at the presser and own some of it too, for a change.

Last edited by Alum1 (2/13/2024 9:07 pm)

2/13/2024 10:38 pm  #59

Awful and embarassing performance. Not sure what else to say. The absence of Jun certainly hurt but I don't think it would have impacted the result. It's really upsetting seeing how the team has reacted to this sort of adversity, it seems like many of them are just shrugging their shoulders and don't know what to do.

I know some of you have pointed to the non conference schedule having an impact on performance in conference. Here's what Caputo said about it postgame:

"I don't know. I don't think you would have asked that after the win at VCU or Mason at home. I think maybe we didn't hit that adversity patch as much but we had our spots in the Bahamas, or against South Carolina on the road, who's obviously had a great year. So, again, I also think pounding a young group in the non conference probably wouldn't have been the best idea either. So, could there be one more or whatever in there that would have built some adversity in? Yeah, maybe but we actually had enough adversity within those games even, to be honest."

2/13/2024 10:48 pm  #60

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Awful and embarassing performance. Not sure what else to say. The absence of Jun certainly hurt but I don't think it would have impacted the result. It's really upsetting seeing how the team has reacted to this sort of adversity, it seems like many of them are just shrugging their shoulders and don't know what to do.

I know some of you have pointed to the non conference schedule having an impact on performance in conference. Here's what Caputo said about it postgame:

"I don't know. I don't think you would have asked that after the win at VCU or Mason at home. I think maybe we didn't hit that adversity patch as much but we had our spots in the Bahamas, or against South Carolina on the road, who's obviously had a great year. So, again, I also think pounding a young group in the non conference probably wouldn't have been the best idea either. So, could there be one more or whatever in there that would have built some adversity in? Yeah, maybe but we actually had enough adversity within those games even, to be honest."

It’s almost irrelevant now because we know that he will just repeat the schedule next year. That is his philosophy. A lot of us thought it was wrong. Turns out we were right.

At this point, hearing him talk about a “young team,” is comedy. You’re supposed to coach a young team up to show improvement. There’s been zero improvement. There’s been a complete collapse and regression. It’s getting serious now, because if it continues much longer, he’ll dig the program into a multi-year setback recruiting-wise., amd fundraising-wise.

Last edited by Alum1 (2/13/2024 11:02 pm)

Board footera