GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2019 11:49 am  #41

Re: Other Games Thread (11/16 - 11/30/19)

Gotta admit that Goss having significant success would be a surprise, though believe he was thought to try hard to get better.
As pointed out in another post, pretty much could form an all star team with our recent discards. Roland and Smith and Marfo are really racking up the numbers in points and rebounds for the big guys. Combine with Jair (not a big loss if he would continue to be allowed to play unfettered). Roland, of course, would have graduated last year, but could have really helped our sagging fortunes in the previous two years.
   AT, Smith and Marfo on the team at the same time, possible at least for a little while last year, could have
racked up quite a number of rebounds. And maybe Goss as a backup. We rarely have two really effective big men, much less 3 or even somewhat 4 if Goss is playing well.

11/25/2019 11:52 am  #42

Forgot about Darnell, who is a good ball handling and passing point guard. That with AT makes a full five last year and four this year without any other recruiting--and Goss as a reserve.

11/25/2019 1:04 pm  #43

As you mentioned Colin Goss and JR would have graduated last year

Is anyone surprised that as 5th year senior he's getting some run at Delaware?

It would be pretty alarming if our guys transferred down and didn't play at all

Like the case with Cimino and Swann.

Terry Nolan Jr and Mazz are going to thrive elsewhere as 5th year seniors. Kethan PJ Lasan and Pellom transferred up and all did

I'm all for keeping track of former GW players. What is with this narrative if we had only kept the guys who transferred down particularly players who had virtually no playing time while at GW.
Nick Griffin did as well are we surprised players transferring down as 5th year seniors are getting a lot of run what is with this narrative lol

11/25/2019 2:41 pm  #44

I believe the narrative has to do with players who most of us saw tremendous potential in who were not particularly well coached or otherwise discarded once our prior coaching change was made.  Many knew that JR could be an explosive scorer, that Marfo could be a tremendous rebounder, and that Colin Smith could be very effective on a successful team.  I don't think there are many here who wonder why on earth we couldn't keep Goss, Griffin, or Cimino.

11/25/2019 3:13 pm  #45

Toro stayed and has improved tremendously since arriving. PJ was discarded by the prior prior staff, only to transfer and have success at a higher level. Some of these narratives are conveniently selective.

11/25/2019 3:49 pm  #46

Hugh, exactly, it has been that way for 4 years on the board, this one and the prior.

PJ left ML, during ML. 
Toro stayed at GW to play with Mojo and now JC, just as you stated. The use of this never-ending narrative is bizarre and tiresome.  

Can we just be GW fans? root for the team, and cheer on past players, do we need to prop up false tropes to air 4 year old grievances day after day?    This is supposed to be a site for GW fans, not a propaganda 4 year long never ending grievance campaign about a decision forced, 1300 days ago.  

11/25/2019 4:04 pm  #47

Dayton is playing Georgia right now in the Maui/Chaminade Invitational on ESPN or ESPN2, Dayton is up 20(62-42) with about 11 minutes left in the game. Obi Toppin is dominating(I wondered why he would be trending on twitter on a Monday afternoon, not knowing he was actually playing!!). Dayton will most likely play #3 Michigan State if they beat Georgia. North Carolina and Kansas are also in the Maui Invitational 

11/25/2019 4:15 pm  #48

Yes, why would anyone want to talk about former players who left when we are in such a great situation?
Now, teams like Dayton who are suffering through a bad year, only being up Georgia by 20 at one point, and currently playing in a non-ballroom tournament with Michigan State, North Carolina and Kansas as opposed to Kansas City, Evansville and Milwaukee, they can wonder about the past and what might have been.
And why would we care about the son of a former GW Hall of Famer, who has overcome being the shortest NCAA Division 1 player in the last 20 years?
Why care about our program history at all?

11/25/2019 4:18 pm  #49

Dayton is DESTROYING Georgia!  good spot Thomas wish I could watch this one!
HUGE blowout underway
Georgia has what many expect to be the #1 pick in the NBA draft as Thomas notes.  Crean at Indiana redux. NBA lottery picks, bad team play

11/25/2019 4:20 pm  #50

73-47!!!

11/25/2019 4:34 pm  #51

80-56  Dayton  
Dayton has looked like an absolute beast of a team when I've seen them
they have upper tier BCS physical skills  

11/25/2019 4:44 pm  #52

The Dude wrote:

As you mentioned Colin Goss and JR would have graduated last year

Is anyone surprised that as 5th year senior he's getting some run at Delaware?

It would be pretty alarming if our guys transferred down and didn't play at all

Like the case with Cimino and Swann.

Terry Nolan Jr and Mazz are going to thrive elsewhere as 5th year seniors. Kethan PJ Lasan and Pellom transferred up and all did

I'm all for keeping track of former GW players. What is with this narrative if we had only kept the guys who transferred down particularly players who had virtually no playing time while at GW.
Nick Griffin did as well are we surprised players transferring down as 5th year seniors are getting a lot of run what is with this narrative lol

The narrative that The Dude was speaking about had to do with the clamoring for players who transferred DOWN (as in why do we want to suggest we should have kept them at GW).  My point was to suggest that many of us saw enormous potential in guys who transferred down, like JR and Marfo (Colin was more of a lateral move), but that doesn't mean that we regret losing all transfers who transferred down (like Cimino, Goss and Griffin).

Hugh, by bringing up someone who transferred UP like PJ, you're addressing something that wasn't part of The Dude's narrative and therefore, something I wasn't commenting on.  It's entirely possible that Hugh did not mean exactly what The Dude's quote, referenced here, meant.  But when The Dude then goes along with what Hugh said, well, let's just say that The Dude really ought to know what his own quotes and narratives mean.

11/25/2019 4:47 pm  #53

Thanks Mailvan, I see your  name has changed yet again, but the lack of tethering to facts hasn't.

Try not to ruin the new board for the rest of us please, Mailvan. Thanks.

11/25/2019 4:59 pm  #54

I will do my part not to.  Perhaps you can as well by not contradicting yourself, sucking up to others, and posting dozens of times per day (often saying the same things again and again).  On behalf of the board, thanks.

And with that, I'll join Long Suffering Fan in asking that we each do not respond or even indirectly reference one another.

11/25/2019 5:00 pm  #55

Dayton looked pretty darn good versus Georgia today.  Won by 19 iirc.

11/25/2019 5:15 pm  #56

True, but Dayton pulled the starters and played the back of the bench, the lead was close to 30 a few minutes earlier!
Va Tech is playing Mich St on ESPN, Dayton gets the winner.

Is Dayton severely under-ranked? maybe they are the beast of the A10, I think most people thought it would be VCU. Maybe both are very good?

Big challenge ahead in the next game for them    

11/25/2019 8:31 pm  #57

Virginia Tech somehow beat #3 Michigan State, so Dayton will face Virginia Tech in the next round. I don't know if that is good news or bad news because you'd like to see an A10 team get a chance to knock off a top 5 team. I only saw the beginning of Virginia Tech-Michigan State, but Va Tech is undersized, but have a lot of good shooters. They also lost their entire team from last year(graduation, transfers, NBA draft) after Buzz Williams left for Texas A&M, yet appear to have a strong team this year with an entire new cast of unheralded players, I like teams like that. I need to make a correction, North Carolina is not in the Maui Invitational(they are in another big-name Thanksgiving tournament this week and I thought it was the Maui Invitational), UCLA and BYU are the other teams in it. Dayton still has a chance to play highly ranked Kansas if they beat Virginia Tech tomorrow

Richmond is leading Wisconsin by 4 right now with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half on ESPN2. I believe it's part of a 4 team, 2-day tournament 

11/25/2019 8:58 pm  #58

Richmond wins! great win for the A10

11/26/2019 10:27 am  #59

VCU is now ranked #20. Dayton may be ranked in next week's poll if they win today and play Kansas in the Championship game

#18 Auburn vs Richmond  7:30 on ESPN2  -  this is the Championship game of a tournament at Barclays Center in NY
George Mason vs Nebraska    7:30  -  Cayman Islands tournament, George Mason beat Old Dominion yesterday, I'm not sure if this is the championship or semifinal
La Salle vs Wright State  7:30
Dayton vs Virginia Tech  8  ESPN  - I don't think ESPN anticipated the semifinal matchups!!

Wichita State vs South Carolina   6:30   CBS SportsNetwork - this is an opening round game of a tournament
Howard at American U  7  

11/26/2019 11:38 am  #60

Chance to make a good week a really great week for the A10

Watch the BYU wax UCLA last night. Bill Walton games are hilarious to listen to.  I forgot Mick Cronin had gone to UCLA

Can anyone get them back to National contention level it's been quite a bad run since they fired Ben Howland which to this day I don't understand

Like the Texas decision with Rick Barnes the grass ain't always greener

Board footera