GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2024 3:54 pm  #21

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

New vacancies have opened up at Pepperdine and Pacific in the last 24 hours

Lorenzo Romar who did some very good things at Washington is now out in his next stop.  Tough places to win

3/09/2024 1:57 am  #22

Well deserved!     One of the sport's best Coaches.

Had been rumored to be the top choice of Ohio State

"Creighton men's basketball coach Greg McDermott has agreed to a contract extension through the 2027-28 season, sources told ESPN.The new deal will make McDermott one of the highest-paid coaches in the Big East.McDermott has led Creighton since 2010, guiding the Bluejays to eight NCAA tournament appearances.

They have won at least one game in each of the past three tournaments, including last season's run to the Elite Eight, where they lost to San Diego State.Creighton is on track for a potential 2- or 3-seed in this month's NCAA tournament"

Last edited by The Dude (3/09/2024 1:59 am)

3/14/2024 3:06 pm  #23

Travis Ford has been fired by SLU

3/15/2024 1:09 pm  #24

GW0509 wrote:

It’s probably a similar calculation that Georgetown made with Ewing. Hard to fire a legendary player.

I don’t see them firing Howard this year unless there’s a clear replacement in line already. Schertz at Indiana State may be that guy but Ohio State could snag him first since they already have the opening. Now if they continue to bottom out next year then I think they rip the bandaid.

Hate it when I’m right. Fired.

3/15/2024 1:23 pm  #25

You were right. I was wrong about Howard.

3/15/2024 2:16 pm  #26

Yep, same here.  Like I said, thought they'd go the Ewing route and wait one year too long. Will be interesting to see who they go after.  Maybe Sean Miller if Dusty May takes Ohio State.

Apparently, the buyout was only $3 million and for a school like Michigan that's sofa money.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/15/2024 2:17 pm)

3/15/2024 2:26 pm  #27

GW0509 wrote:

Yep, same here.  Like I said, thought they'd go the Ewing route and wait one year too long. Will be interesting to see who they go after.  Maybe Sean Miller if Dusty May takes Ohio State.

Apparently, the buyout was only $3 million and for a school like Michigan that's sofa money.

Better to be lucky than smart.

I think it’s the right call. Why waste a year and be back in the same exact spot next year. And yes, $3mm to MI is nothing.

Last edited by Alum1 (3/15/2024 2:36 pm)

3/15/2024 2:59 pm  #28

Juwan Howard's inevitable firing at 8-24 wraps up another chapter of Big NBA Stars turned College Head Coaches not working out.   Jerry Stackhouse was also fired today.

Ewing was a disaster, so was Chris Mullin at St. Johns. It took Pitino 1 year to turnaround St Johns, Mullin pushed them even further back predictably.    Who thinks these guys are a good idea?

Danny Manning was awful at Wake, its hard to think of really any NBA star who has been a good college Head Coach hire.   Damon Soudamire, TBD.   Hubert Davis not exactly a star but the closest example I can think of.

Chris Holtman was hired by DePaul.   Maybe that guy should wait for something better.  DePaul?  Speaking of Ohio St, right on the bubble now, perhaps a win away for Jamison Battle's squad.

3/15/2024 3:04 pm  #29

Why do you guys think JT3 hasn't had a head coaching job since he left Gtown in 2017?

3/15/2024 8:38 pm  #30

Alum '04 wrote:

Why do you guys think JT3 hasn't had a head coaching job since he left Gtown in 2017?

No better interim after a train wreck that our own Mojo. 😂😂

3/17/2024 12:44 am  #31

Fired on Monday, coach Dan Monson leads Long Beach State to NCAA Tournament

Long Beach State had lost its final five regular season games before the split, but turned around to beat UC Riverside  No. 1 seed UC Irvine      and No. 2 seed UC Davis to win the tournament and send Monson to March Madness for the first time since 2011.

Maybe wait 6 days to fire a guy? OR... they made the run finally because he was fired?

Last edited by The Dude (3/17/2024 12:47 am)

3/18/2024 12:12 pm  #32

Keith Dambrot to retire

Going out on top

3/18/2024 12:33 pm  #33

The Dude wrote:

Keith Dambrot to retire

Going out on top

Dude, Dambrot's decision was not motivated by going out on top although it is a great way to go out. It had nothing to do with basketball. His wife is very sick. He made a life decision. It was 80% made before the season began. Try to look beyond the headlines.

3/18/2024 12:42 pm  #34

Bryce Drew, Valparaiso coach we beat to win the NIT , left for Vanderbilt and was a disaster. Then he went to Grand Canyon and went to the NCAA several times. Does a coach change or is its circumstances? One coach I knew was good a long time ago was a Northeastern coach. I wish we got him. His name was Calhoun. I think he went to Connecticut instead.

3/18/2024 12:51 pm  #35

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Bryce Drew, Valparaiso coach we beat to win the NIT , left for Vanderbilt and was a disaster. Then he went to Grand Canyon and went to the NCAA several times. Does a coach change or is its circumstances? One coach I knew was good a long time ago was a Northeastern coach. I wish we got him. His name was Calhoun. I think he went to Connecticut instead.

The hardest places to win are the worst jobs in the biggest conferences.  Is there a tougher job in football or basketball than Vanderbilt in the SEC?  It's up there

Rutgers no walk in the park either. Northwestern. 

Which is why I'm surprised Holtman would leap at DePaul.  More surprised he was let go. 

Congratulations to Dambrot going out on top excellent Coaching Career across many schools. Duquesne perhaps his finest job speaking of difficult places to win!

3/18/2024 1:53 pm  #36

Well, you tried Rising.  You mention that Dambrot's wife is very sick and rather than acknowledge any sympathy or even question the appropriateness of saying that a coach is going out on top when he's truly leaving the sport to spend more time caring for his ill wife, The Dude not only doubles down on "Dambrot going out on top" on this thread but then says the same thing again on a different thread minutes later.  

Dude, you are a disgrace who really ought to be ashamed of himself.  But keep trying to prove your asinine points by repeating them again and again, and cutting and pasting them on different threads.

Once GW was eliminated, I was pulling for Duquesne, and am very glad that Coach Dambrot got some great news amidst a very difficult time in his life.

3/18/2024 8:11 pm  #37

Brian Dutcher

I don't know if Michigan can pry him to San Diego St  to return to Michigan, but they can certainly pay a lot more $$$.  So far Dutcher has turned down offers to bolt so we shall see.   The guy who brought San Diego St to the National Title game seems like a lot better idea than the guy who transformed Michigan from the National Title game to 8-24 in 2023/24.

Kevin Keats NC State banked in a 3 to tie UVA and force OT on their way to the improbable ACC title with zero at large hopes, and a bid thief.  Which parlayed into a 2 year extension today from the Hot Seat a week ago.

Amazing how a lucky bounce here and there can change things.   As a sign of how things have changed for the upper mid tier ACC programs, 7 seasons in, no Tourney wins but an extension.  

3/19/2024 9:24 am  #38

Brian Dutcher.

He's 64 years old and is coaching in San Diego, CA, perhaps a preferable destination for a 64 year old to be than Ann Arbor, MI.

He must like it because he just signed a five year extension with the Aztecs.  He's under contract through 2027-28. 

Oh, but Michigan can afford it, right Dude?  Dutcher's buyout is $10.788 million which is a hair less than three times the amount of money that Michigan paid Juwan this year.  Or for that matter, it's higher than what any college basketball coach earned this past season.

But we get it.  Ducher to Michigan makes so much sense to you Dude, so keep on saying it.

3/19/2024 9:44 am  #39

Gwmayhem wrote:

Brian Dutcher.

He's 64 years old and is coaching in San Diego, CA, perhaps a preferable destination for a 64 year old to be than Ann Arbor, MI.

He must like it because he just signed a five year extension with the Aztecs.  He's under contract through 2027-28. 

Oh, but Michigan can afford it, right Dude?  Dutcher's buyout is $10.788 million which is a hair less than three times the amount of money that Michigan paid Juwan this year.  Or for that matter, it's higher than what any college basketball coach earned this past season.

But we get it.  Ducher to Michigan makes so much sense to you Dude, so keep on saying it.

💯. Insane.

3/19/2024 1:54 pm  #40

Wonder what the Coaching market for a 8-24 fired Juwan Howard will be

Huuuuuge surprise Michigan fired Juwan who could possibly have seen this coming just days ago!!

Board footera