GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2024 5:20 pm  #1

A-10 Tourney

Thought I’d start this thread before The Dude taints it by starting it. 😂😂

For the sake of fun speculation - let’s assume  LoC, Dayton and Richmond get to the semis and Loyola beats Dayton or Richmond in the finals.  Does the A10 - egads! -  get three bids?

3/04/2024 5:47 pm  #2

Re: A-10 Tourney

99.99% no.  A small downside to playing our final on Sunday is that the committee has wrapped up its work by Saturday night.  I think the only way Richmond is getting in, short of winning the tournament, would be to lose to Dayton in the championship game.  And Loyola can only go if it wins the tournament, making them just like GW in that regard.

On a separate note, did I hear correctly that Richmond has never been the conference's regular season champion?  Does this mean outright because I think I can remember that Kevin Anderson team being a co-champion?  Or, have they never tied for the regular season title?  Pretty surprising.

And the other bazaar stat which I have mentioned here before is that Dayton has only won one A10 men's tournament championship and it came over 20 years ago in 2003.

Speaking of Dayton, there is an excellent chance that Anthony Grant is leaving his alma mater after this season.

3/04/2024 5:48 pm  #3

I would think Dayton is a lock while Richmond and Loyola need to win the A-10 tourney. I am not sure the A-10 gets two but I don't see any scenario where they get three.

3/04/2024 5:52 pm  #4

SHOULD we get 3 if Loyola win the tournament and Dayton/Richmond make the semis?  Probably, but everything since 2018 has been done with the intention of limiting the number of non P6 at large bids.

And like Mayhem says, the only way we get 3 is if Dayton is in no matter what (ie they lose their first game). I don’t think they’ve done enough to have that happen.

3/04/2024 7:07 pm  #5

I kind of agree with no, although Lunardi has had Richmond safely in for weeks now - and not “last four in”. I think if both Richmond and Dayton make the semis and Loyola wins it’s 50-50. The Spiders’ NET isn’t spectacular (70) , but they are 7-5 against Quad 1&2. No real marquee wins to speak of but they are finishing strong, winning 14 of last 16, all in conference. All in all I think they creep in if they get to the finals amd don’t get blown out. But I wouldn’t lay a ny money on it.

Agree completely that Dayton shouldn’t assume anything if they somehow shit themselves.

3/04/2024 7:18 pm  #6

Lunardi has Richmond in and not as a "last four" because he has then as the automatic qualifier since they lead the conference.  No way we get three in and the only way we get two is if Dayton does not win.  I think that is a realistic possibility and would go so far as to predict Richmond wins the A-10 tournament.

3/04/2024 7:34 pm  #7

LA Colonial wrote:

Lunardi has Richmond in and not as a "last four" because he has then as the automatic qualifier since they lead the conference.  No way we get three in and the only way we get two is if Dayton does not win.  I think that is a realistic possibility and would go so far as to predict Richmond wins the A-10 tournament.

Have they led the conference for weeks now?  I stand corrected.

Last edited by Alum1 (3/04/2024 7:36 pm)

3/04/2024 10:48 pm  #8

I agree with LA Colonial; unless Dayton does not win the tournament, it is very likely the A-10 will be a one bid conference. Richmond has an outside chance to be selected if they lose a very close game with the Flyers.

Board footera