GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2024 7:32 pm  #21

Re: The March Madness Thread

DC Native wrote:

3 of the top 4 seeds are now 1 and done in the A10 Tourney…

Makes me so angry

3/14/2024 7:38 pm  #22

The Dude wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Hunter Dean had a big first half for LSU in their SEC tourney opener. I think 7 points, 5 boards, a block, and an assist.  Watching him roll to the hoop off pick and rolls is a reminder that despite some of his limitations as a starting center, his athleticism and ability to roll to the hope and catch a lob gave our offense an element it sorely lacked this year.

You beat me to it. Was just about to write the same thing.   There was a severe underselling of the talent not returning and especially in the case of Dean who emerged last year as a big part of our success in the A10 schedule

He's doing this against an SEC bubble team.

We really had nothing resembling a hunter Dean on the roster this season.

Have seen several of his games this year he's completely at home against SEC front courts

Worth noting that Dean got exposed in the second half by Miss St physicality.

3/14/2024 7:47 pm  #23

Alum '04 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Jameer Nelson Jr and TCU beats Oklahoma and will certainly be dancing

Makes you wonder how many more wins would GW have with jameer Nelson Jr and Jamison Battle on this team

Instead we played with almost all freshmen and the first four-year player in GW in nearly a decade. Lot of talent has gone out the door the last 3 or 4 seasons due to the coaching changes

My GW friend and I were discussing at the ACC tournament last night whether a team of the best players who transferred out of GW could beat garbage Syracuse or Clemson. Of if they could have won the A-10. Just nonsensical garbage that GW basketball fans discuss because they are treated so poorly by school administration.

No chance. Unless I’m forgetting someone, Brown and Dean would get smoked inside (yes Dean would throw down some lobs and make a couple energy plays, but he’s not an NCAA tourney-level starter) and besides Jameer, the wing defense would be lacking (Bamisile and Battle not known for their defense).

I don’t even know who the 4th starter would be to go with Jameer, Battle, Dean, and Bamisile.  Brayon Freeman, who only played 47 minutes at Coastal Carolina for some reason?    Brelsford?

3/14/2024 9:21 pm  #24

Duquesne is 30 seconds away from beating Dayton. All top 4 seeds have lost today. Wonder when the last time that happened in the A10

3/14/2024 9:21 pm  #25

Duquesne beats Dayton!

Two A10 teams will be dancing

Works out every year

What a win for Providence over a loaded Creighton team, Kim English has survived the huge dropoff post Hopkins injury and looks like they are now in the Dance.

NC State gets a big upset of Duke, but should have more work to do.   None of this is good news for Indiana St chances or any other bubble team clinging to a spot. 

Ohio St in the Dance???  23 second half points for Jamison Battle powering Ohio St to a win over Iowa in a crucial bubble showdown game.    Jamison Battle back on GW as a 5th year Senior and GW wins a lot more games, he's able to take over Big10 games year after year.  23 second half points and 9 Boards for Jamison to keep Ohio St chances alive and bury Iowa, what a game.  

Last edited by The Dude (3/14/2024 10:07 pm)

3/14/2024 9:23 pm  #26

The Dude wrote:

Duquesne beats Dayton!

Works out every year

VCU now the highest seed left. Those effers seem to reach the final every year…

3/14/2024 9:24 pm  #27

DC Native wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Duquesne beats Dayton!

Works out every year

VCU now the highest seed left. Those effers seem to reach the final every year…

I was thinking the same thing. Somehow, after all this, they've got a great shot to make the tournament.

3/14/2024 9:39 pm  #28

Bonnie’s have easiest path, but my gut says St Joe’s.  Reynolds rose to the occasion big time to take our Richmond and they have so many guys who can make plays.

3/14/2024 9:50 pm  #29

2006 was the last year that happened. I was at all the games. We were #1 and lost to Temple. Pops was hurt and didn't play.  Loss cost us a higher seed in NCAA. We got an #8 seed against UNC Wilmington who we beat in overtime. Had to play #1 Duke in Greensborough, NC next. Wish it was at neutral court with  good refs.

3/14/2024 10:03 pm  #30

Just checked the stats for that game. We got hammered by the Duke players every time we drove to basket and no fouls were called on Duke. One UNC fan said to me on the foul difference against Duke. "Welcome to Tobacco Road".  "What did you expect" ? 14-19 for GW, 26-37 for Duke.  

3/15/2024 8:26 am  #31

Because Dayton lost some analyst said the A10 STOLE a spot from some more deserving team. According to Who? Both Richmond and Loyola should be in,  not some sub  500 team from a "Deserving" Conference. 

3/15/2024 8:33 am  #32

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Because Dayton lost some analyst said the A10 STOLE a spot from some more deserving team. According to Who? Both Richmond and Loyola should be in,  not some sub  500 team from a "Deserving" Conference. 

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey planted those seeds to make that the dominant narrative of the week in an ESPN interview

"That just tells you that the bandwidth inside the top 50 is highly competitive," Sankey said. "We are giving away highly competitive opportunities for automatic qualifiers [from smaller leagues], and I think that pressure is going to rise as we have more competitive basketball leagues at the top end because of expansion."

3/15/2024 1:57 pm  #33

Getting rid of the Auto Bids to all the smaller conferences seems inevitable.   13-19 ACC teams in the Field looks like the future of the Tourney.   

For now, we instead get 19-14 Michigan St. who is comfortably in.  How many losses before you start to lose your bid?  9-14 vs Quds 1 and 2.  

Speaking of the state of Michigan and a lot of losses, there goes the inevitable firing of  24 loss Juwan Howard  

Jamison Battle is shooting 44.1% from 3, 88 made 3s,  and 95.6% from the line, 65 for 68 from the line

Last edited by The Dude (3/15/2024 3:17 pm)

3/15/2024 3:20 pm  #34

Striking an opposing coach in the face in the handshake line on camera for everyone to see isn't enough to get you fired in Ann Arbor, but apparently finishing dead last in the Big 14 and losing 11 straight in the process is.

3/15/2024 3:46 pm  #35

The Dude wrote:

Getting rid of the Auto Bids to all the smaller conferences seems inevitable.   13-19 ACC teams in the Field looks like the future of the Tourney.   

Dude, respectfully, I 100% disagree about the loss of automatic bids being inevitable. While I never say, never, this is all a prelude to the field expanding to what I believe will inevitably be 80 teams.

I don’t think it’s just about money for the schools. Or for the big conferences. I think that it’s also about job security for coaches, who have very little control over the transferring of players and the craziness of  the NIL atmosphere.

The more big time programs that get into the tournament, the more likely that middling power conference teams coaches get to keep their jobs.

For what it’s worth, I would love to see 80 teams.

I Standby my previous posting earlier this year about going with an 80 team field with the top 16 getting a double bye into the round of 32.  It’s a win for the smaller conferences. They get to keep their automatic bids. It’s a win for the better teams in the mid majors who have a shot at getting in more than they do now. It’s a huge victory for the top schools and the top conferences to have the opportunity to not have their best teams upset early in the tournament.

Would it take away from the magic of a 15 seed playing against a two seed? Sure. But I would much rather see those 15 seeds, who would now be 19 seeds, have a better shot at making it past the first round with a win against a 19-win 5-seed from the BIG 10.

3/15/2024 6:27 pm  #36

Expanding the field is more of fixing something that isn't broken. Like anytime Microsoft rolls out a new version of Windows, fixing something that does not need fixing means the product gets worse.
Of course, it is inevitable. Why? Not because fans are clamouring for it but because TV sees a way to make a quick buck.
The only expansion I'd welcome is expanding the field to every DI school, but setting the brackets by a random drawing. Maybe give a few top performing teams a bye or two, but after that everyone's place in the Tournament would determined by drawing lots and nothing else. TV/sponsors would get their extra game units to sell, but be robbed of their influence on who gets in or who they play.

3/15/2024 6:57 pm  #37

BGF wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Dude, respectfully, I 100% disagree about the loss of automatic bids being inevitable. While I never say, never, this is all a prelude to the field expanding to what I believe will inevitably be 80 teams.

I don’t think it’s just about money for the schools. Or for the big conferences. I think that it’s also about job security for coaches, who have very little control over the transferring of players and the craziness of  the NIL atmosphere.

The more big time programs that get into the tournament, the more likely that middling power conference teams coaches get to keep their jobs.

For what it’s worth, I would love to see 80 teams.

I Standby my previous posting earlier this year about going with an 80 team field with the top 16 getting a double bye into the round of 32.  It’s a win for the smaller conferences. They get to keep their automatic bids. It’s a win for the better teams in the mid majors who have a shot at getting in more than they do now. It’s a huge victory for the top schools and the top conferences to have the opportunity to not have their best teams upset early in the tournament.

Would it take away from the magic of a 15 seed playing against a two seed? Sure. But I would much rather see those 15 seeds, who would now be 19 seeds, have a better shot at making it past the first round with a win against a 19-win 5-seed from the BIG 10.

The field is going to expand we agree there but it is about money. Which is the same reason they will eventually exclude the automatic bids to the smallest conferences.  They've already done away with the at large bida by changing the criteria as well as the automatic invite to the NIT for regular season conference champions from small conferences

The larger field is just going to include a lot more teams like Villanova Maryland and Oregon this year and fewer and fewer non-power conference teams.

30-3 Connecticut back to the Big East championship game. What a juggernaut Danny Hurley has put together.  The most balanced team in the country hard to see anyone beating them in March

3/15/2024 7:36 pm  #38

The Dude wrote:

They've already done away with the at large bida by changing the criteria as well as the automatic invite to the NIT for regular season conference champions from small conferences

Speaking of the NIT, both Memphis and Ole Miss have said they will not accept a bid to the NIT. 

Not sure why the NCAA thought that these bubble schools, pissed that they didn't get into the tournament, would want to go play another two weeks in the NIT vs. diving into the portal before the tourney teams get a chance.  They need to go back to putting the regular season champs into the NIT as autobids.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/15/2024 7:36 pm)

3/15/2024 8:06 pm  #39

GW0509 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

They've already done away with the at large bida by changing the criteria as well as the automatic invite to the NIT for regular season conference champions from small conferences

Speaking of the NIT, both Memphis and Ole Miss have said they will not accept a bid to the NIT. 

Not sure why the NCAA thought that these bubble schools, pissed that they didn't get into the tournament, would want to go play another two weeks in the NIT vs. diving into the portal before the tourney teams get a chance.  They need to go back to putting the regular season champs into the NIT as autobids.

Hilarious that is beneath 2 schools who have done so little in the NCAA Tourney.   Really? Ole Miss and Memphis??

Shows that if they have come for those NIT auto bids the NCAA Tourney Auto Bids are next.  

The expansion which a lot of people claim they oppose would obviously be popular, just like with the NFL playoffs, MLB playoff, college football etc.   The gaps between the last 10 teams in and the next 20 out are so small.  

The day started with most people having Texas A&M and Mississpi St out, they are both about to beat Tennessee and Kentucky today.   Lunardi somehow has New Mexico out which is a joke, these teams are all plenty good its not like they are any different than Seton Hall and UVA and whomever are the last few teams in, so why not expand?   Miss St began the day out, Tennesee was a 1 seed.   The only real gap of note is between UConn Houston Purdue and the field.  

Expansion is def coming, More happy fan bases, more revenue, more tourney games being played, isn't that the point of sports?

21 points for Jamison Battle for Ohio St  vs #10 Illinois.   Sure would have been nice to have had Jamison Battle the last 3 years at GW. 

Last edited by The Dude (3/15/2024 8:29 pm)

3/15/2024 8:35 pm  #40

Watching the UT game I felt the game was over in the first 5 minutes.  UT players were not interested in playing the game at all. Seems like Kentucky made a half hearted effort. They are both in the tourney with high seeds so save your energy and get more SEC teams in Tourney. Nashville hotel owners and restaurant people are furious. UK people, majority of fans, will go home tonight. 

Board footera