GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2024 10:59 pm  #41

Re: The March Madness Thread

The NCAA Tourney already includes virtually every D1 school in the country. If you are in a conference with a conference tournament, you are in the NCAA Tourney. Just keep winning and you will eventually win a national title.

3/16/2024 12:41 am  #42

UVA lost to NC State.  That's a 4th Quad 2 loss for UVA who  is 2-6 in Quad 1
they have 50s NET and a 68 KenPom 

Those are the Power teams that don't belong in the tourney.  Even by UVA standards they just can not score. 

Providence has 6 Quad 1 wins and just beat Creighton and nearly beat Marquette tonight in the Big East Semis.  

The Quad 1 wins thing, only seems to apply to keep the Indiana Sts out.  And for 3 months Gonzaga.  Auburn was 1-7 in Quad 1 and a 3 seed on brackets coming into today.   I don't think your resume should be reduced to arbitrary bracket but if that's the criteria at least apply it consistently

2-6 with sub top 50 NET would be an absolute no go for just about any other team.   Auburn is an obvious tourney team but why was 1-7 in Quad 1 not more of an issue for their seed?

3/16/2024 6:00 am  #43

Should there be a retroactive Quad Win-Loss Analysis based on

1) ratings at the end of the regular season; or
2) ratings based on the end of conference tournaments.

OR

3) is this already done??

(please pardon my ignorance)

Last edited by Basketball Jones (3/16/2024 6:00 am)

3/16/2024 8:22 am  #44

In all likelihood, Virginia will not make the tournament.   If they do not,. they have their great coach Tony Bennett to blame for sitting on his three fouls to give and allowing N.C. State a chance to hit the game tying three-pointer with 1.4 seconds to give..  Hopefully he is saving those three fouls for next year's tournament when he has a more deserving team.

3/16/2024 8:46 am  #45

Yesterday, seven #1 seeds went down before their conference finals.: Tennessee, Arizona, Utah St., Sam Houston, Norfolk St.., Quinnipiac and UC Irvine. although the first three are obviously in while the last four are out.

3/16/2024 12:16 pm  #46

Bizarre not to foul up 3 and with fouls to give no less
UVA has a terrible resume they should be out

Brown, #194 enormous upset of Princeton a sweet 16 team last year that is even better this year will now miss the dance

Which A10 team joins Dayton? I'm picking VCU

JoeBam steal (3rd of the game) and Free throws seals the win for VCU who are in the A10 Finals.   

Last edited by The Dude (3/16/2024 2:09 pm)

3/16/2024 2:49 pm  #47

Was great to see Purdue lose. Big Ten officials treat PU like Duke. Edey parades to the free throw line when opponents breath on him. Today in the final seconds against Wisconsin, a Badger player drove the paint for an unmolested jump shot to win. What did Edey do? Backed away from the shooter.

PU sucks and is a creature of corrupt Big 14 officiating. They'll have another early exist in the tournament.

3/16/2024 4:26 pm  #48

The Dude wrote:

Bizarre not to foul up 3 and with fouls to give no less
UVA has a terrible resume they should be out

Brown, #194 enormous upset of Princeton a sweet 16 team last year that is even better this year will now miss the dance

Which A10 team joins Dayton? I'm picking VCU

JoeBam steal (3rd of the game) and Free throws seals the win for VCU who are in the A10 Finals.   

I will be rooting for Duquesne. They’ve only won the tournament once before, and that was the very first one! A 1977 win over Villanova…

3/16/2024 5:19 pm  #49

Dambrot seems like a cool guy, too, and good coach, who probably should have coached at a higher level.
Even without Bamisile, whom one should care for as much as he cared for us, wouldn't want to root for annoying VCU.

3/16/2024 5:28 pm  #50

jf wrote:

Dambrot seems like a cool guy, too, and good coach, who probably should have coached at a higher level.
Even without Bamisile, whom one should care for as much as he cared for us, wouldn't want to root for annoying VCU.

A few years ago they went on like a 17 game losing streak to end the season. Goes to show that sometimes shit like that happens and can be fixed.

Go Dukes!

3/16/2024 5:53 pm  #51

It's another exhibit for patience.  Dambrot stock up down up down.  Don't have to fire everybody all the time.  Grass isn't always greener especially at a place that's tough to win

I'm certainly rooting for Duquesne I just think VCU is probably going to win. 

The A10 teams 2-8 were all pretty good this year. They would all be dangerous in the tournament to win a couple of games.  In an expanded field the gaps between the last teams just not very large.  The league got a lot better this year it just got a lot better evenly spread instead of a few teams only

Speaking of evenly spread and a lot better take a look at the New Mexico versus San Diego State game and a loaded Mountain West.  There is no team more entertaining in the country than New Mexico with their three-star guards and uptempo pace led by two NBA players sons house and mashburn

3/16/2024 6:17 pm  #52

I remember Norm Nixon and his Duquesne team winning in 1977. It's been a long time. I remember our first with Hobbs. Beat St. Joe's. That was a long time in coming too.

3/16/2024 7:41 pm  #53

Connecticut 73 Marquette 57

31-3 Connecticut blows out Marquette for the third time this season and takes the Big East championship crown. 

10 years ago Danny Hurley was turning around the worst program in the Atlantic 10 today he has the best program in the country looking like a dynasty in Connecticut

New Mexico beats San Diego State to take the Mountain West title with three straight quad one wins. A team that was supposedly on the wrong side of the bubble is now going to be about a 6 or 7 seed based on the resume.

3/16/2024 10:25 pm  #54

The highlight of these tournaments by far was the performance of Oregon center Dante who was 12 for 12 from the field and rebounded and defended like an NBA player as the Ducks beat Colorado. He was 10 for 10 last time they played!

3/16/2024 11:26 pm  #55

When you watch Oregon and NC State, both needing wins in Power Conference Finals to get in, you see how clearly the gap in talent between the last 10 in and the next 10 out isn't that big if it exists at all, expanding the tourney would add more Oregons and NC States (and whatever 2 teams they just pushed out) caliber teams that are just as good as the last teams in.

Providence is now (I think) going to be left out, but we just saw even without their best player they can beat a Creighton (twice) and Marquette and Wisconsin and yet even this field of 68 they wont make it (probably)

Colorado is now on the bubble and they have 2 NBA players and a top 25 computer #s

3/17/2024 9:30 am  #56

So many upsets this year. I just read that the four teams playing in Dayton and the first four are going to be 10 seeds.

3/17/2024 10:21 am  #57

Any of you guys think Dayton could be left out?  I’m beginning to wonder. Their performance down the stretch has give the Committee an excuse. You compare their last five or  six games to St John’s and there’s no question who the better team is right now. I see Jerry Palm has dropped them to the always dicey “Last Four In” status. Losing early in the A-10 Tourney may make them vulnerable.

3/17/2024 10:34 am  #58

Alum1 wrote:

Any of you guys think Dayton could be left out?  I’m beginning to wonder. Their performance down the stretch has give the Committee an excuse. You compare their last five or  six games to St John’s and there’s no question who the better team is right now. I see Jerry Palm has dropped them to the always dicey “Last Four In” status. Losing early in the A-10 Tourney may make them vulnerable.

My gut tells me they’re safe.  Also, if they are on the bubble and make the tournament at a 10 seed, I wonder about the impact about having them host as the home team. Interesting for sure.

3/17/2024 12:53 pm  #59

Duquesne was up by 18 first half, VCU chipped away, but still down considerably at
36-22 first half.
    Don't know what will happen with Duquesne playing more games this week, but havoc
hasn't been revived.
  And it would be nice for Dambrot to get this, especially if he is retiring.

3/17/2024 1:22 pm  #60

The confetti is released with 18 minutes left in the game as the ball is in play in the A10 championship. Incredible. No notes

Board footera