GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2024 1:03 pm  #161

Re: The March Madness Thread

More from Lunardi:

There are a whopping 362 Division I basketball teams, and Gonzaga has been among the final 16 in each of the last nine seasons, arriving this time after rocking No. 4 seed Kansas 89-68.

This streak is one of those statistical improbabilities that also runs roughly a bajillion to one.

3/28/2024 9:19 am  #162

Here's another one ...

America's Greatest Coach has made the most appearances in the Sweet 16 without winning a national championship. That also is a streak that statistically has never occurred before lol.

3/28/2024 1:34 pm  #163

Wisconsin sophomore AJ Storr entered the transfer portal on Thursday, immediately becoming arguably the best available transfer this spring.

Storr, a 6-foot-7 guard, was a second-team All-Big Ten selection after averaging 16.8 points and 3.9 rebounds this season.

One of the problems with trying to rely on transverse players that transfer ones are statistically much more likely to transfer again. Doesn't get much bigger than this in terms of a loss

3/28/2024 1:47 pm  #164

Rumors are he's getting $900k to go to Illinois.

What's disheartening is seeing teams that otherwise would be contenders next year just get completely blown up by the transfer portal.  Colorado, Seton Hall (likely after the NIT), Utah (ditto), Virginia Tech.

Major Madness on Twitter said it best: NCAA basketball is turning into European soccer where there will be new rosters every year unless you're Real Madrid.

3/28/2024 3:08 pm  #165

GW0509 wrote:

Rumors are he's getting $900k to go to Illinois.

What's disheartening is seeing teams that otherwise would be contenders next year just get completely blown up by the transfer portal.  Colorado, Seton Hall (likely after the NIT), Utah (ditto), Virginia Tech.

Major Madness on Twitter said it best: NCAA basketball is turning into European soccer where there will be new rosters every year unless you're Real Madrid.

Colorado is going to lose 2-3 guys to the NBA Draft.  What makes you think Seton Hall will though?

I agree with your sentiment, it was a lot more fun to see the game group of guys for 3-4 years emerge into a force, as opposed to the constant parade of players in and out.  Just 6 years ago we saw a team of Villanova guys, Brunson, Bridges DeVincenzo, Arcidiacano, Hart stick together and win 2 titles in 3 years. hard to imagine that just 5-6 years later. 

More incredible that most of them are now on the Knicks

3/28/2024 4:05 pm  #166

Incredible that almost 8 years to the day we had a core group of players at GW that spent 4 years together before not only graduating with a degree but winning the school's only post season championship in men's basketball history.
This group was complemented by another group of young talented men and the entire team went on to accomplish other great things and become people of great character.
Hopefully we can come close to accomplishing great things in the future in our lifetimes.
Buckle up for a long off season to stew in our misery. Year 3 of the CC era will be interesting. Will his fate be the same after year 3 as the previous 2 coaches?

3/28/2024 4:25 pm  #167

Joel Joseph wrote:

Incredible that almost 8 years to the day we had a core group of players at GW that spent 4 years together before not only graduating with a degree but winning the school's only post season championship in men's basketball history.
This group was complemented by another group of young talented men and the entire team went on to accomplish other great things and become people of great character.
Hopefully we can come close to accomplishing great things in the future in our lifetimes.
Buckle up for a long off season to stew in our misery. Year 3 of the CC era will be interesting. Will his fate be the same after year 3 as the previous 2 coaches?

Great memories, however, if that group was at GW today, they would’ve been offered $200-300k each after the tournament run in 13-14 and transferred to various BCS schools. Maybe Joe Mac sticks around like DBJ because he’s local.

I’d almost guarantee that we will never see a freshman class of 3-4 players stay together for four years in the A10 ever again.

3/28/2024 8:29 pm  #168

Absolute domination by Danny Hurley's defending national champions as they sail back To The Elite 8

They are the first defending national champion to make the elite 8 in 17 years

Tonight they beat the national championship runner-up last year, 82-52

Last edited by The Dude (3/29/2024 12:21 am)

3/29/2024 7:43 am  #169

Tommy Lloyd just like his mentor aka America' s Greatest Coach struggles once again as he reaches the Sweet 16 then loses to 6 seed Clemson as 2 seed. Seems like the coaching apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He's been twice a 2 seed and a 1 seed and can't sniff the Final Four. 

3/29/2024 10:51 am  #170

I could not get over how Arizona played last night.  The game plan was apparently to heave as many 3's towards the basket as possible with the hope that enough would go in.  Contested 3's, very deep 3's, 3's off of odd man breaks...just some terrible decision making.  I'd love to give credit to Clemson for their effort but Zona really did make things easier on them.

Terrence Shannon is certainly the most incredulous and controversial story of the tournament.  He is playing like the best player in the country right now, even if you happen to be 7' 4" tall, and yet faces a rape trial this May.  Imagine if he's found guilty, has a lengthy prison sentence, and never plays in the NBA?  This performance would be one for the history books.

Serious question for The Dude...am curious as to which at large teams should have made the field who didn't, and which at large teams should they have replaced in the field?

3/29/2024 9:57 pm  #171

2 seed Shaka Smart's Marquette loses to the 11 seed!

Another huge upset loss Marquette 3 straight years

3/30/2024 7:24 am  #172

If you watched that Marquette game,, maybe like me you had PTSD. The Golden Eagles played a game the 2024 GW Revs would be proud of.  Terribly ill  advised random threes, more turnovers than assists, guys dribbling into a crowded lane and losing the ball, several Max Edward’s signature passes to no one that ended up in the stands, and a coach that stuck to his game plan  despite his team shooting 4-31 from behind the arc. Brutal.

3/30/2024 8:30 am  #173

I mentioned that I might drop in on occasion to see what was happening on the Board.Although I’ve lost 
interest in college sports due to what I believe is the NIL debacle-I felt it necessary to comment on a new 
and to me a phenomenon that I thought I would never experience.Unlike many-but not all people -I’ve 
never experienced Schadenfreude-“pleasure at other people’s misfortune.Never got it.To what end I would think to myself.That is until last night.Thank you Dude.

3/30/2024 11:30 am  #174

GW69 wrote:

I mentioned that I might drop in on occasion to see what was happening on the Board.Although I’ve lost 
interest in college sports due to what I believe is the NIL debacle-I felt it necessary to comment on a new 
and to me a phenomenon that I thought I would never experience.Unlike many-but not all people -I’ve 
never experienced Schadenfreude-“pleasure at other people’s misfortune.Never got it.To what end I would think to myself.That is until last night.Thank you Dude.

That's what we get after years and years of losing. The good old days was when the men's team would be, once in awhile, be in the Big Dance. We knew the women's team would be in.  Now most of our sports teams are below .500 and their is no demand from the students to get better. The Moniker change was also a Big boost for attendance.

GW69 and I were from the days when GW was part of the Southern Conference. The Big debate at the time was if we should leave the Southern Conference. Most schools in the area have looked north (Maryland).  But yes, I feel the same way about the NIL. Horrible.

3/30/2024 3:14 pm  #175

I'd feel real bad about NIL existing if the "adults" ever left a nickel on the table in an effort to be stewards of college sports. Do I like where the transfer portal and NIL leave GW and other mid-majors? Absolutely not!
The real blame is the NCAA fighting until it was too late AND essentially saying you all want to pay the players?
Go Ahead only to say,shock, "Opps actually we'd like to be in charge"

3/30/2024 7:33 pm  #176

30-0 run to open the second half for the defending national champion Danny Hurley's Connecticut squad

Dominating their way to the final four

Last edited by The Dude (3/30/2024 7:41 pm)

4/01/2024 12:29 am  #177

Down goes Duke!  a loss to the 11 seed 

What a performance by DJ Burns 

Edey a masterful game to power Purdue to the Final Four 

4/01/2024 10:20 am  #178

In other news "America's Greatest Coach" falls short again. Pretty sure they are soon going to have to modify the saying that the only sure things in life are death and taxes. It will be "there are only three things in life that are a certainty ... death, taxes, and "America's Greatest Coach" falling short again." 

Last edited by GWRising (4/01/2024 11:52 am)

4/01/2024 10:36 am  #179

Personally, I think The NC State teams (men and women) have a special Gatorade mix in their cooler

4/01/2024 2:47 pm  #180

GW69 wrote:

Board footera