GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2024 4:06 pm  #1

GW Game 1, A10 Tourney Thread

Next game, we are in The A10 Tourney.

Does GW have an improbable  run in them in the A10 Tourney??  

Round 1 opponent set yet or TBD?

3/09/2024 5:03 pm  #2

Re: GW Game 1, A10 Tourney Thread

It’s going to be La Salle

3/09/2024 10:09 pm  #3

GW hasn’t won 2 games in the A10 Tournament since we last won it all in 2007. I’m guessing we win on Tuesday and lose on Wednesday.

3/10/2024 9:09 am  #4

Tuesday at 2 pm vs. Lasalle.   Game on ESPN+.  If we win, its Wednesday at 5pm vs. the Bonnies, on USA.  These are actually 2 winable games.   If we lose, its Friday, November 8th at 7pm for a rematch against Stonehill.

3/10/2024 9:54 am  #5

Given the new NIL/professionalized era we live in, will players on teams with no chance at The Dance mimic players on football teams going to minor bowls and "opt out" of their conference tournaments if they plan to portal/enter the draft?
Would be a shame, and an expected result of the "transition" in college sports.

3/10/2024 10:48 am  #6

Portal fun begins March 18 and ends with portal closing May 1.

3/10/2024 12:40 pm  #7

DC Native wrote:

GW hasn’t won 2 games in the A10 Tournament since we last won it all in 2007. I’m guessing we win on Tuesday and lose on Wednesday.

La Salle has had their way with us twice.
I’m not optimistic.
Time for some changes!!!

3/10/2024 12:43 pm  #8

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Tuesday at 2 pm vs. Lasalle.   Game on ESPN+.  If we win, its Wednesday at 5pm vs. the Bonnies, on USA.  These are actually 2 winable games.   If we lose, its Friday, November 8th at 7pm for a rematch against Stonehill.

Thx, good info.   Surprised we'd draw the Bonnies that early if we get by LaSalle, but at least we just beat them

From a road win vs VCU to some bad home losses we've run the full gamut so here's to hoping for a run

3/10/2024 1:06 pm  #9

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Given the new NIL/professionalized era we live in, will players on teams with no chance at The Dance mimic players on football teams going to minor bowls and "opt out" of their conference tournaments if they plan to portal/enter the draft?
Would be a shame, and an expected result of the "transition" in college sports.

That’s the rumor about Keyshawn Hall at Mason. The thing about basketball compared to football is while there’s a very unlikely chance at a bottom seed winning the A10 tournament, there’s still a chance. Even more so in the smaller conferences with fewer teams.  In football, the non-CFP bowl games are 100% irrelevant. I guess the basketball equivalent would be the NIT.

As for NBA prospects, they can really increase their stock with big performances over the next couple of weeks. I don't see them opting out. 

i think we’ll just continue to see what we see now and that’s players entering the portal the minute their team is officially eliminated from March Madness. It’s why schools are making coaching changes sooner as well. 

Last edited by GW0509 (3/10/2024 1:07 pm)

3/10/2024 6:12 pm  #10

Anyone actually going?  Doubt it from my end. That’s a lot of coin to travel to NYC for a weekday afternoon one and done, as fun as NYC is.

Last edited by Alum1 (3/10/2024 6:13 pm)

3/10/2024 6:21 pm  #11

Alum1 wrote:

Anyone actually going? Doubt it from my end. That’s a lot of coin to travel to NYC for a weekday afternoon one and done, as fun as NYC is.

Not me. I'm going to the ACC tournament on Wednesday night.

3/11/2024 9:29 am  #12

I like the La Salle matchup.  It's been said that it's difficult for one team to beat another three times in a season and I feel that's especially so when the talent between the two teams is fairly close.  In the first meeting, I thought GW may have been a bit overconfident in that the team had lost consecutive road games at UMASS and Richmond and may have viewed this matchup as a chance to get an easy win at home.  GW was without Max, Antoine and Garrett in the second matchup, with the lack of depth being a major factor in La Salle's 6 point victory. I haven't had the sense over the past couple of games that this team is ready to pack it in just yet.

Drawing St. Bonaventure is a tough break.  The Mason win over Richmond and the Bonnies loss to St. Louis (two somewhat inexplicable results) meant that those two schools flipped and personally, I'd rather have seen Mason (after their drubbing of GW and quite possibly without Keyshawn Hall) than a Bonnies team who we beat less than a week ago (and who GW beat on the road last year).  You can make a case that SBU is fading badly down the stretch as well as GW having confidence in the matchup but personally, I think Schmidt is too good a coach to lose three straight times to CC. 

If we can win those first 2, that leaves Dayton and sure, GW beat Dayton last year and Dayton hasn't won this tournament in 20 years.  Nevertheless, your weekend plans do not necessarily have to include Brooklyn.

3/11/2024 12:46 pm  #13

What's telling is that GW fans, such as those on the board, would normally be going or talking about
the A-10 tournament more than what we are doing. 
      But the feeling of haplessness pervades, especially after a 12-game losing streak. 
We're playing better and competing harder now, even with acknowledging reality.
  So the challenge to the team and the coaching staff is that it is a new season right now.
The slate has been wiped clean. Make some noise, so we can look to the future.

3/11/2024 1:27 pm  #14

If Mojo's 9-24 team could get up for (and win!) a pillow fight game, then so can this team.

3/11/2024 1:32 pm  #15

Love the optimism in the  discussion of winning first two in A-10 Tournament.
How about 3 wins the tournament.
Let's think big and bring back memories of the 1960-61 season. We entered the Southern Conference Tournament with a 6-16 record overall and 3-9 in the conference with a 7th place finsih in the nine-team conference.  Back then, I believe, only the ACC and Southern Coference had tournaments to select their representatives in the tournament. (No more than one team per conference was allowed in the tournament.) In the Southern Conference Tournament, GW beat Virginia Tech, Citadel and William &  Mary to earn GW's second trip to the NCAA. GW lost to Princetopn in the first round to finish the season   9-17.  That GW team ranks among with the teams with worst winning percentage to make the tournament with 39.1 percentage. In the modern era, beginning in 1985 when the tournament expanded to 64 teams, only Fairfield (1997), UCF (1996) and Florida International (1995), all with 37.9 winning percentages had worse winning percentages than the 1960-61 GW team.

3/11/2024 1:37 pm  #16

Mayhem, I believe that if we somehow win the first two games, we play the 2-seed Loyola and not the 3 seed Dayton.

3/11/2024 1:54 pm  #17

Good catch LA, thank you.  A more favorable draw in Loyola in the quarters and Dayton in the semis than the other way around.  And, I am with you in your use of the word, somehow.

3/11/2024 9:25 pm  #18

GW +1.5 O/U 147.5 on FanDuel. Add a .5 for both on DK.

3/12/2024 9:34 am  #19

GW 250:1 to win the tourney.   So Vegas is saying there’s a chance 😂

3/12/2024 9:37 am  #20

Guess I was mistaken that game was on USA.  One more game on the iPad I guess.

Board footera