GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2019 1:31 pm  #21

Re: Justin Mazzulla

Hugh wrote:

BM wrote:

This stinks pure and simple.  He's the exact kind of kid you'd want anchoring your program.  Considering he's now a family friend to Maceo, I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone too.

Reevaluating.  Seems like I bought in to the hype.

Agree with this. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but as a fan and an observer I'm growing wary of what JC is doing. You can put out all the PR you want glorifying yourself and the program, but something smells fishy about what's happening so far, from the seemingly random minutes being given, to JM leaving. This shouldn't be the type of program where someone who was voted captain by his teammates as a sophomore and made the all-academic team last year (our only all conference selection), should want to leave 4 games into the season.

Maybe so but this also shouldn't be the type of program that wins 9 games. JC was hired to fix that. There is a reson he is here and there is a reason why we won 9 games last year. You can agree or disagree whether Mazzulla was part of the solution but this is what happens when a new coach comes in and wants "his guys". When you hire a head coach you agree to embrace his vision for remaking the program. 

To me, the fact that our AD apparently did not stand in the way of this in light of all you have written about Mazzulla  makes me think the decision is not as negative as some here would like to believe.

11/21/2019 1:45 pm  #22

Hugh wrote:

He also started and played 31 minutes in the opener. So a lot must've changed in the past two weeks. This is all really confusing to me.

Actually, much has changed since the opener.  It appears that an injured Sean Walker is now health, and that Amir Harris is eligible.  These are minutes that would have gone to Mazzulla.

11/21/2019 1:54 pm  #23

Based on my limited observations, I would agree with DMV on his description of Mazz' character.  On the other hand, Christian was hired to rebuild a team that had hit bottom.   Would we be better with Mazz on the Court at this time?   I would think so; however Mazz was limited and was not going to be a principal piece of the puzzle that pulls this team out of its abyss.   In the long term, it is best to give the minutes to the players that are being counted on to lead this team out of its abyss, and Mazz was not one of those persons.  He certainly could have helped in a supporting role with limited minutes, but if his preference to play more was in conflict with Christian's duty to rebuild the team, then yes...his transferring was a win/win situation.  But please don't blame the coach for putting players on Court that he believed was best for the long term health of the program.  That his what he was hired to do.   (FWIW...I heard rumblings during the summer that Mazz was a risk to transfer, so I am not totally surprised).  

11/21/2019 2:03 pm  #24

Was Walker injured? Not saying you're wrong (or being hostile), just actually don't recall seeing that. If he was, then yes that is a big change, though whether he deserves those minutes over Mazzulla is a different conversation.

Regardless, I get that a coach wants his guys and not all of the holdovers will be fits. But without any inside knowledge of what's happening, my perception of someone leaving the program who was voted team captain as a sophomore and was named to the all-academic team, combined with the dismal start to the season, is that things are not lined up with the program as they should be. The game notes for every game include "turnaround artist" about JC. As fans they've tried to sell us on things turning around right away, but that's just not how things seem right now. If it will be a longer turnaround, that's fine, but this isn't what the athletic department, and JC himself have been trying to sell us. I think as a paying season ticket holder I have a right to express this, especially since the coaching staff and athletic department surely are reading here.

11/21/2019 2:06 pm  #25

I would like to throw my two cents in here; I strongly and wholeheartedly believe in JC and the program's direction.  Regardless of the reason for whatever is happening, I believe JC is of high character and I will continue to believe it.  Suppositions, speculation, and letting our minds go to whatever consideration we may conceive do no good.

I support GW, and I support the team-building concepts and development of student-athletes that JC has instilled.  Every indication we've had until now is that the program is in a better place and heading the right direction.  I can't stop anyone else from thinking the worst, but I won't go there.  

In real life, I've been through multiple changes in senior management, both when I was in lower level positions and a new CEO came on board, and also when I took over the reigns of an organization.  Even when everyone is on the up and up, and everyone wants to be a part of a fresh start, there are factors that will cause quality people to leave (or to feel unwanted).  

We, the fans, must accept the fact that if there is a new coach that there will also be ramifications.  It is not impossible to be completely supportive of JC and the Athletic Department, and to also wish any player who leaves our very best, regardless of the reason for the departure.  These two things are not mutually exclusive.

I'm good with that and encourage you to be as well. 

Barry

11/21/2019 2:12 pm  #26

Having the guy who started game 1, after starting at the point the last past 1.5 seasons,  leave the program 4 games  later, is not a good look.
As for being recruited over, Mazz played well in the A10 last year, the minutes going to newer players as we lose to some of the worst teams in D1 hasn't looked like he was recruited over. Shawn Walker out of nowhere  suddenly got all of his minutes.   Mazz played hard and gave 100% effort every minute out the court, something I haven't seen anywhere near enough from GW players in recent years.

New Coaches lead to lots of change, but having guys leave 5 games into the season is anything but good.
This is shitty, but not overly concerned about the general state of the new regime though.  

DJ and TNJr chose to leave, that's one thing, going from opening night starter to game 5 departure is a bad look, it just is, and the minutes aren't going to big time transfer or highly touted Freshman who has shined, so yeah whomever said the guy voted Captain of the team leaving after 5 games isn't good, and more so, recruited over seems at best like wishful thinking at this juncture.

Last edited by The Dude (11/21/2019 2:19 pm)

11/21/2019 2:29 pm  #27

One additional word to echo those who say Mazz and Maceo are very close, as I've mentioned several times, I've seen Maceo and Mazz together around campus on at least half a dozen occasions, never apart always together. 

Used to be Maceo TNJr and Mazz together.

11/21/2019 2:30 pm  #28

First off, and sincerely, thanks GWRIsing for the initial tip. That's what the board is for because no one covers us. It would be even more pathetic than what happened if someone we don't know from Twitter broke this.
Well, either you know or you don't. The truth is probably somewhere in between. And JC is going to have his spin on it. But as FredD aptly pointed out, if the Mr. Rogers inspirational shtick was still there, it's gone with this.
The rationale is likely going to be difficult to stick, given Mazz's reputation. DMV pointed out examples of Mazz's exemplary activity as a real student athlete representing GW. We saw him bust his butt on a losing team every game, sacrificing his body at times, for the glory of GW whose name he had across his chest.
He had the same work ethic this year when frankly, a lot of his teammates didn't--one reason where we were defeated by much lesser teams. And he was successful: a major reason why AU didn't embarrass us even further at home, just the game before Mazz was sidelined in a truly bizarre move. Why was he yelled at and seemingly in retrospect humiliated when JC doesn't do this across the board. Have no problem with a coach yelling at a player. Do have a problem with selective yelling.
  Unlike say, DJ, Mazz bought himself the right to have some slack. So again, as hyperbolic example, it has to be more than fiery words a few times; he has to be caught with gasoline and matches. This is not only one of our best five players so far this year, it is someone who was an academic all conference.
    This has a bad look. It usually seems quizzical  when someone leaves the team mid-season. But after game 4, it's really, really odd. Only time this early I can recalls is Montrell McDonald with Hobbs. And the guy who assaulted a team manager, maybe at Thanksgiving or Christmas time tournament.
   This helps no one. Maybe Mazz quit in frustration, but it sure doesn't seem like. Attempts to demonize him which may come are difficult because of his reputation, but I looked over at the bench one time in the Morgan State game and Mazz was the most vociferous and active cheerleader over one of our few bright spots.
  Mazz has no opportunity to play or get NCAA credit for sitting out until at least mid-December. We've wasted us of him. And though this may be used as an excuse, it would seem really cruel to deprive a young man who has worked so hard of a trip to the Bahamas. It isn't a good signal to the team, either, no matter how this is spun.
   It's not a good signal to Maceo, which JC should know. Maceo is a good example of the type of player we need in this currently not working JC system. And another good guy. It is also a terrible signal to Arnaldo, whom we really, truly need both this year and next year. Arnaldo is a truly elite rebounder. A number of people here has been saying that we need to win some games to keep Arnaldo happy. We might not want to dismiss longtime teammates also to keep Arnaldo happy.  And no one seems to be saying Mazz wasn't dismissed. Personally, very, very interested in keeping Arnaldo happy to be a GW through next season, as he not only is a good guy, he is our real rebounder, 
    As stated in an earlier post,JC clearly ran off Brown and Littles. And DJ, no longterm loss, and Terry, now that was mixed both personally and professionally were either dismissed or given a tough line. All of which can be justified,one way or another, at least before Mazz.
  Players may feel justified in feeling like JC has different standards for his recruits than the previous recruits. That's never a good idea, but  outside of JNJ's future potential and possibly Amir when he comes back,we don't have any sparkling diamonds that JC recruited this year, And not bowled over for next year either,so a good idea again to keep Arnaldo and Maceo.
It's considered Ok to say there's not going to be any playing time. Personally, I'm not  Ok with saying you have to go. Don't know if that was the case with Shandon and Marcus, but Shandon got an immediate waiver. Many of us were up in arms over the Nebraska coach dismissing Amir.
  This isn't a reality show where you can just say, "You're Fired!." Or shouldn't be. Coming up with halfhearted excuses isn't going to cut it. If you have more info, GW Rising (and thanks again for the initial tip) or anyone, let us know. But it doesn't look right and smell right.
   Sorry, absent some real damning information and it needs to be really substantive, or some way to make this Mazz's decision to quit on the spot, this is not a good look for GW. Mid-semester departures are not normal in the college basketball world. And it's not good for recruiting
     It's one thing to suck during a transitional year, though AU was a bad loss and Morgan State was truly unacceptable. Hopefully this will turn around soon.
 But to suck and have this type of cloud or to be charitable, odd situation, is the worst of all worlds. 

11/21/2019 2:50 pm  #29

Thus far, the athletic department has had nothing to say on the matter.  They do have a posting from today on the website previewing tomorrow's Kansas City game.  This, too, is part of the problem.  Is Tanya Vogel planning to address this publicly?  If so, will any real reasons be provided?  I would bet against this.

GWRising, you would like us to stay silent unless we are able to post based on the facts.  You claim to know the reasons but can't share them here.  JC and the school presumably know but we will not learn anything from them.  You also say that knowing the reasons might favorably impact our thinking.

Hey, if this is a win-win situation, I'd love nothing more than to know that.  But as is historically the case, most of us will not be receiving the facts, or in this case, the real reasons.  Therefore, we are left to speculate that it's about playing time or being a poor fit in JC's system, or some other on-court factors.  For all we know, this may have nothing to do with basketball or JC.

And so, despite your wishes, we are left to posting based on speculation.  Because it's all we have.

11/21/2019 3:12 pm  #30

We've heard rumors of Jamion Christian running off Mojo's players(Shandon Brown, Marcus Littles, DJ Wiliams) in the past, so Justin Mazzula being dismissed or quitting isn't that surprising to me. This could be a win for Mazzula because he only played in 4 games this season, there is a good chance that Jamion Christian will help Mazz get a waiver that allows him to have 2 full years of eligibility(instead of 1 and a half) at his next school. I'm assuming J.Christian assisted Shandon Brown in getting a waiver at Niagara, so he'll most likely do the same for any Mojo holdover that leaves GW.

I just think this comes down to the cold-hearted nature of coaching in college, Jamion Christian wants to get all of "his guys" in as soon as possible and start the rebuilding process, so some guys are going to be forced out. 

jf,  unfortunately college coaching seems to be like a reality show where a new coach(and sometimes the long-time coach) can just tell a player "You're Fired" without any repercussions!! Hoiberg at Nebraska and Jamion Christian here at GW seem to have fired players, and the show just goes on!! GW will still enjoy their stay in the Bahamas and play 3 games starting tomorrow.    

11/21/2019 3:18 pm  #31

Let me add this although I want to be careful in how I word it. Hopefully this will give you more of the flavor of things without violating anyone's confidence or privacy.

1. Don't think there is any dispute both within the coaching staff and the team that generally Mazzulla is a good kid.
2. Think way too much weight is being given to the notion that Mazzulla was a team leader this year or that all players are devastated he's gone. Further, think that in some ways a cloud has been lifted for both the team and Mazzulla.
3. Think there have been on-going thoughts for some time (not just recently) on both sides that this relationship was not working as it should and that both sides made efforts to bridge that gap. Do not believe a single incident or confrontation led to this departure but was more of a series of concerns on both sides.
4. Assume that JC does not do anything rash without planning and calculation as to the pros and cons. Very deliberate and careful decision maker at all of his stops.
5. Assume that JC most likely consulted players and other coaches and informed them of the outcome including those most affected.
6. Assume that JC consulted all relevant administrators before any outcome was established. 
7. Assume that JC/GW did not want this outcome so early in his career at GW and did much to avoid it.
8. Assume that the situation became untenable and a distraction to the program. JC's number one priority for the program is connectivity and positivity between players and coaches as he has stated. Assume that anything that jeopardizes this connectivity and positivity will be addressed.

Last edited by GWRising (11/21/2019 3:20 pm)

11/21/2019 4:00 pm  #32

Thomas, I think the situation in the sport broadly does suck and it is yet a reality.  Yet, in this case Mazz was a starter, at least opening night and all of last year, and even end of his Freshman season. I'm not saying a great player, but a valuable player and big member of the program the last few years on and off the court, a scholar a team leader and an court clear contributor.  What changed so quickly in last few games?

As the team has played worse this season and his minutes going to (as yet ineffective) other players its hard to lump him in with the standard chased off program situation.    
IS the GW program at  such a strong point where Justin Mazzula can't contribute this year and next? is the recruiting suddenly so strong the Coach feels there is no role for him on a court? Would GW not benefit by having Mazz Graduate next year a Colonial?

Battle was a Mojo recruit, Shawn Walker a JC recruit, Amir a transfer that hasn't played yet. TNJr DJ and Shandon left.  We are already a thin, talent lacking roster.

We have had, as all programs do, some players who really coudn't compete at this level, and Mazz was hardly one of them.  What would be the benefit, all of this to replace senior year Mazz?

11/21/2019 4:57 pm  #33

GWRising is really trying to help. And though numerous here don't necessarily agree, truly appreciate it.
Would be really odd unless Mazz said I want to leave, not impossible, but not what the timing indicated or something a college Junior would want to do on the eve of a trip to the Bahamas.
  Reading not very hard behind the lines, GWRising is trying to tell us something, or 8 things, in a careful way. Again, his perspective is vital and appreciated, whether we buy what JC or the Athletic Dept. is selling. 
Have to ask about one point: if JC were actually to dismiss Mazz as opposed perhaps to Mazz saying I want to quit and accepting his resignation, how can he ask his teammates? That would seem to violate not
only normal procedure, but likely privacy rules.
Whatever the justification and there certainly will be some couched in JC's  positive newspeak,  from some of our point of view, it seems Mazz wins the benefit of the doubt.
  If for example, the new players didn't like the Junior getting on their butts to try harder, well that's too bad.  We all know Mazz has a strong policy in expecting his teammates to perform since we saw it all the time.
    They're going with removing the thorn in the paw rather than let it fester defense, which, absent some real misbehavior, if this wasn't Mazz's choice, doesn't really hold water.
 Even if this were true and not overstated as a reason for the coach to get his guys playing time, from a purely selfishly basketballwise, we'd be better of letting it fester at least until the end of the semester. This is not common or normal, nor should it be.
  It just seems tacky and classless and frankly, cruel, given the Bahamas trip. Life is cruel, at times, even in college, but given the outlines so far and the proven years of Mazz on and off the court contributions, this seems undeserved for both Mazz and truthfully, our own at least short-term interest.
   Couldn't this conclusion have happened before the season and classes started, just two and a half months ago?
Or at least in the great inspirational atmosphere we are said to have, for a number of reasons including decency, recruiting and appearance's sake , couldn't this wait until the end of the semester?

11/21/2019 7:02 pm  #34

I was at the Morgan game and took my kid to the team autograph session after the game. Mazz was (unexpectedly) in high spirits, saw my daughter wearing Michigan gear and made small talk about his buddy being a defensive tackle on the team. He had every right to be disengaged and pouty, he just sat the whole game while he watched his team lose to a garbage opponent, but he wasn’t and I appreciated that.

I grew up in CT and pull for UConn, and I’ve noticed the anti-Hurley talk on the message board (I get it, he’s a lot and coached a rival A10 squad). That being said, not a single player has left UConn’s team since he was hired and he seems like a real sonofabitch to play for. JC bringing in “his guys” and finding them playing time to build the program is certainly understandable but there is a level of dignity that the kids on the team deserve. I don’t think Mazz was afforded.

Last edited by Bmac3920 (11/21/2019 7:04 pm)

11/21/2019 7:28 pm  #35

My.memory may be faulty, Thomas, but I believe Brown andittles transferred shortly after season ended, prior to the hiring of Christian.

11/21/2019 9:05 pm  #36

These people with “inside” Information should either broadcast most of what they know or if they are uncomfortable with that SAY NOTHING and shine with an inner glow that they know. The point of a sports message board is fans take any publicly available information and parse, surmise, speculate and tell the other guy he is dead wrong.

11/21/2019 11:33 pm  #37

Disagree FredD. Appreciate info from people with real actual inside knowledge even if it has to be tempered to protect the innocent. I can deal with trying to decipher what message is being imparted based on history with past postings and reliability. Certainly different sources have different takes and view points. I don’t mind trying to decide for myself what is real and what isn’t. There are multiple sides anyway. I just dislike the wild accusations and suppositions stated as facts when someone is just trying to stir the pot for jollies.

11/22/2019 12:14 am  #38

I haven’t been on the board in two days and just saw this thread.  I think I’ve read all of it - am I missing something? 

Why do most of the posters here assume this has something to do with playing time?  Why are people assuming JC ran him off? 

I’m not saying they are wrong, but is their some reason other than that s the only reason you as fans can imagine a player leaving the program in November?

11/22/2019 7:21 am  #39

Poog you are correct. I was thinking about the  posts that asked people not to assume things while intimating they knew things they couldn’t divulge. Im no fan of accusations. For myself the debacle of the previous regime makes me sensitive to any potentially negative disruption.

11/22/2019 9:49 am  #40

FredD wrote:

Poog you are correct. I was thinking about the posts that asked people not to assume things while intimating they knew things they couldn’t divulge. Im no fan of accusations. For myself the debacle of the previous regime makes me sensitive to any potentially negative disruption.

FredD, I think you missed what I was saying. I said there are no facts in evidence other than the departure so you should not assume anything as to the reasons. I also said I learned of this and perhaps the reasons for it but could not verify them. As a result, I am not placing the specific reasons here because that would be possibly unfair to one party or the other. I further gave you my impressions in a later post but again those were couched as assumptions and thoughts and not facts but based on what I would view to be reliable but unverified information. I am asking no one to accept my version only that they not jump to any conclusions, one way or the other. The only reason I made that last post was to push back at some of the narrative being pushed here as fact.

The alternative would have been to provide this board with no information and you all would be in the dark completely as to Justin's status. Happy to do that in the future if this is going to be the result.

Board footera