GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2019 9:58 am  #41

Re: Justin Mazzulla

While all this conversation is going on, worth noting that he's still listed on the roster on the website. Usually when someone transfers, they are removed immediately (sometimes even before there is any public information/announcement).

11/22/2019 10:06 am  #42

LSF,  in the final days of the old gwhoops board, a poster(a parent of Shandon Brown or Littles??) wrote that Jamion Christian told Shandon Brown and Marcus Littles that they were no longer on the team. This supposedly occurred a few days after GW hired J.Christian. We really can't be sure how credible that poster is, but they did mention specific dates that J.Christian told Shandon Brown and Littles that they were no longer on the team and meetings that were had with GW's AD.

The fact that NCAA approved Shandon Brown's waiver request in a short period of time indicates that Jamion Christian and GW must have assisted Niagara with the waiver request. When a guy transfers, it looks like the cooperation of the previous school plays a big role in the NCAA's decision. I believe Georgetown blocked or was uncooperative with Rhode Island when they attempted to get a waiver for Antwan Walker. He was in a similar situation to Mazulla(except Walker left or was dismissed a few games into his sophomore year) and when the NCAA rejected Walker's waiver to play the entire season(this season), Georgetown not cooperating was cited as a reason why by some folks.

Which brings me back to Mazzulla, I'm assuming all parties involved felt Mazulla leaving GW after 4 games would help him get a full 2 years of eligibility at his next school, if GW assisted his new school on getting a waiver. So, it can be viewed as a win-win for Mazzulla. If you look at GW Rising's 4th point about Jamion Christian(4. Assume that JC does not do anything rash without planning and calculation as to the pros and cons. Very deliberate and careful decision maker at all of his stops ),it makes sense why this transfer is happening now, as opposed to after the Bahamas trip. 

11/22/2019 10:29 am  #43

GWRising, I think you are missing the point.  We all appreciate your efforts to provide news.  And, we all understand if you can't go into any more detail than you are able to provide.  But, what you are then saying is contradictory.  You say that you're not expecting anyone to stay silent about the news but we should only have a dialogue that is based in fact.  And, that there are no facts aside from the news.  By definition, any conversation on the subject would have to be based on speculation. 

And again, this is a message board.  It is where people provide opinions, based in fact or otherwise.  It does not take long to form impressions of posters here and gauge whether someone's opinions should carry total, partial or zero weight.

You also said that we are just going to have to wait for GW to make a statement.  Well, it has been 2 1/2 days since the photo emerged without Justin in it, two days since you announced what you learned, and a day and a half since the news was put on Twitter by a journalist/scout.  Perhaps this feeds into the problem.  When we get the headline but no further details, plus zero information from the athletic department, then yes, people are going to speculate.  You can choose to withhold information in the future (personally, I don't think you will, but this is your prerogative) if it disgusts you so much that people would come on a message board and discuss the news, even before all of the facts are out.  Like I said, this announcement was on Twitter 12 hours after you posted your information.    

Free Quebec, I stated yesterday that for all we know, this could have nothing to do with basketball.  Nevertheless, the speculation you pointed out does have some logic behind it.  Justin plays a position where three point shooting is needed and he is not a great shooter.  Amir Harris will be playing shortly and does many of the swiss-army-knife things that Justin had provided.  Shawn Walker Jr was apparently injured early on and is now healthy.  Every indication is that Justin's minutes were starting to decrease and this was only going to get worse.  The other speculative point was JC running him off.  Based on GWRising's subsequent opinions, this is striking me as more of a realistic possibility than when I first heard the news.  The nicer way of saying "running him off" is to give him a chance to cut ties and transfer to a program that he'd like to join.  I also hold out some hope, though I believe this is a long-shot at best, that this is a "cooling off period" where Justin is considering whether to stay with this team in a reduced role than he is used to.  I guess my point is that while there certainly could be other reasons for his departure, there is a fair amount of logic to suggest that playing time/reduced role has something to do with this. 

11/22/2019 11:09 am  #44

GW Rising and others in the know...please keep posting facts and rumors (but of course letting us know which is which).  We have nowhere else to go for GW information, discussions and insight.   As for Mazz, again seemed like a good kid and wish him the best of luck wherever you land.  Although one of the better players on the team at this point, he was not an impact player who was going to lead us to the promised land.  To paraphrase an old (pre-free agency) baseball story when a player on a last place team was denied his request for a raise despite leading the league in either hitting or home runs..."we finished last with you, we can finish last without you".    This is a rebuilding year and is being treated as such.   Expect growing pains, of which Mazz leaving is one of them.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/22/2019 11:11 am)

11/22/2019 11:27 am  #45

In the bigger picture, I don't think any of this makes a real difference because the next few years will likely be terrible.  It's going to take some time for JC to build up what had been erected by Nero (no pun intended). 

11/22/2019 11:31 am  #46

Interesting mix of opinions here. Would say GWRising or anyone else should provide news because we are not getting it anywhere else. If this was from a couple of other local programs, it would be in the sports section. But we pretty much could pick the starting five from the student section and no one would notice.
   The only thing that could make this palatable would be if it were Mazz's fault beyond attitudinal attributes cited by JC, significantly more than a one-time frustrated "I quit" response in the last game or a scheme to save 2 years of eligibility for Mazz. That doesn't sound like a likely outcome with the fickle NCAA, by the way, so wouldn't hang one's hat on it.

11/22/2019 11:36 am  #47

That said, perhaps a more jocular approach to our "situation" (and we always seem to be in a situation) is in order in at least one post. 
  So perhaps we can designate all the holdovers "Acting Players" on the roster.
  Or change our slogan to Raise Temporarily.

11/22/2019 2:44 pm  #48

How is this for jocularity.  GW lost at home to a team (Morgan State) that lost today to  Liberty College 89-48.   Kind of puts an exclamation point on the current state of the program.   If we didn't laugh, we would cry.

11/22/2019 3:09 pm  #49

But we cleverly got rid of a veteran contributor and by all accounts a good guy for reasons that may be acceptable, but hard to see without more information. And need to be real good.
Because it's pretty unusual for someone to be booted/leave during a semester, no matter how much latitude a new coach should have.

11/22/2019 9:56 pm  #50

I was told from sources close to the program that JC met with Mazz early this week and told him that he would not be part of JC's plans moving forward. JC mentioned that JM doesn't fit his style of play and system. If he wanted to stay at GW he would keep his scholarship for the duration of the year but would only be used with the scout team. Obviously Mazz isn't going that route as he is already listed in the transfer portal. I think I speak on the behalf of everyone here at GW Hoops that we wish Justin the best of luck moving forward.

11/22/2019 10:24 pm  #51

From what I have heard there was ample reason for Justin Mazzula to be no longer with the team. I don''t think Coach Christian wanted to lose Justin nor did the fan base. 

11/23/2019 2:26 am  #52

jf wrote:

Interesting mix of opinions here. Would say GWRising or anyone else should provide news because we are not getting it anywhere else. If this was from a couple of other local programs, it would be in the sports section. But we pretty much could pick the starting five from the student section and no one would notice.
   The only thing that could make this palatable would be if it were Mazz's fault beyond attitudinal attributes cited by JC, significantly more than a one-time frustrated "I quit" response in the last game or a scheme to save 2 years of eligibility for Mazz. That doesn't sound like a likely outcome with the fickle NCAA, by the way, so wouldn't hang one's hat on it.

From what I’ve now heard, it sounds like it was, in fact significantly more than a one time I quit.  Unfortunate, but sounds like there was no choice

11/23/2019 1:42 pm  #53

FQ is an astute observer. Well, if someone provides details, then this odd move could understandable, though it's clear there are talking points out there to justify this. And policies are enforced uniformly for old and new players.
Until then, gotta admit it does seem incongruous given the publicly and privately as related here character of Mazz. And in a glance or two of the game where he was benched and then yelled at after playing his couple minutes, what was seen of his very positive cheering behavior on the bench.
  In any case, from a pure basketball point of view this year and the last two games, wish Mazz was on the team.

11/23/2019 2:05 pm  #54

A10Knowledge wrote:

I was told from sources close to the program that JC met with Mazz early this week and told him that he would not be part of JC's plans moving forward. JC mentioned that JM doesn't fit his style of play and system. If he wanted to stay at GW he would keep his scholarship for the duration of the year but would only be used with the scout team. Obviously Mazz isn't going that route as he is already listed in the transfer portal. I think I speak on the behalf of everyone here at GW Hoops that we wish Justin the best of luck moving forward.

To me, that sounds like a "nice" way of forcing out a player. What rotation player would agree to stay on scholarship and only play for the scout team in practice?? I've brought this up a few times, but it looks like Jamion Christian did this now as a way to help Mazz get a full 2 years at his next school. Of course, we know the NCAA are jerks and rarely look out for the players in these instances, but they do the right thing SOMETIMES!!  I'm assuming the majority of players who transfers a few games into the season, want that full year of eligibility at the next school.

Also, Mazzulla's transfer was made official this past Wednesday the 20th. Verbal Commits posted it, the link is down below.
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1197384624445345792  

Last edited by Thomas (11/23/2019 3:48 pm)

11/23/2019 2:54 pm  #55

If so, which is what it seemed like from a distance-- and there are indications posted here that seem to say it is Mazz's fault, which again seems against character but who knows?-- it would seem to be a losing strategy for both GW and Mazz, rather than just part ways this semester.
  Thomas rightly points out that the NCAA is composed of "jerks." Wouldn't count on them, but its possible, I guess, they could somehow do the right thing, as it they ultimately did with Amir. Would be a good way to sell this move if it wasn't Mazz's self-doing, but it is hardly something to count on.

11/25/2019 8:27 am  #56

11/25/2019 12:43 pm  #57

Very bizarre surely could have used him this season and next.

11/25/2019 12:44 pm  #58

11/25/2019 1:13 pm  #59

Adam Finkelstein‏ @AdamFinkelstein 
GW transfer Justin Muzzulla has committed to Vermont.

11/25/2019 1:13 pm  #60

The Dude wrote:

Not really if he didn't want to accept a lesser role. You need guys 100% committed to what you are doing. As you can see, it might have been that Mazzulla dropped on the depth chart behind Nelson, Jack, Walker, and Potter and now here comes Amir. Remember you have 2 more guards in next year's class. Perhaps Mazzulla saw the handwriting on the wall. Wish him all the best but GW is apparently moving on.

Board footera