GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2024 10:02 am  #1

OT: The Time Jimmy Patsos Decided to Guard Steph Curry and Nobody Else

I'll move this eventually to OT but I was recently reminded of the time Jimmy Patsos, then coach at Loyola Maryland, decided to exclusively guard Steph Curry and prevented him from scoring the entire game.  Now, it didn't end up helping Loyola Maryland much as they went on to lose by 30.

Tony and Mike on PTI reacted to the game ESPN PTI: Davidson and Stephen Curry vs. Loyola MD (youtube.com)

This then inspired a response letter from Patsos with truly one of the greatest quotes in college basketball history:

As an American I wish we had leaders like [Davidson coach Bob] McKillop and Curry, who could have gotten the CIA and FBI to talk so we could have prevented the 9-11 tragedy, or saw that Fannie Mae was creating a mortgage crisis coming which could cripple a country. The Davidson basketball family united the way I wish Wall Street would have instead of letting so many Americans retirement be lost. I wish his staff could have advised the administration who got us into a war in Iraq which cost us countless lives, and disabilities, countless money and has gone on longer than WWII. I know these are extreme examples to show that the Davidson basketball family adjusted, made smart choices and unselfish choices for the good of the team.

Who would've guessed that in 2024 we'd have a connection to both Patsos (as our current color guy) and Davidson (now in the A10).

9/23/2024 12:30 pm  #2

Re: OT: The Time Jimmy Patsos Decided to Guard Steph Curry and Nobody Else

I think this is http://www.midmajority.com/p/1782">the definitive article on Jimmy Patsos, College Basketball Coach. Took me awhile to find it on the Wayback Machine.

Board footera