GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Today 12:00 pm  #1

What I'm Looking For

Things to keep an eye on:

1) In the half court, we will basically have two offenses.  Let's call them A and B.

A is where Jacoi conventionally mans the point.
B is where Darren starts with the ball at the top of the circle.

The traditionalist in me would like to see more of A than B.  Jacoi's greatest asset is his ability to run a team.  When he rather than JB had that opportunity last season, the team played more efficiently.  Jacoi playing off the ball relegates him to a jump shooter where he is capable but where he does not excel.  Jacoi will understand what we have in Jun and will make sure he receives plenty of looks.  We will be a more dangerous team when five scoring threats are on the floor at the same time.

At the same time, by no means should we abandon B.  Jun is a matchup problem for many teams.  His ability to drive the lane and score, get fouled, or dish without turning the ball over improved throughout last season.  Despite Garrett's absence,  we must see improved three point scoring from our newcomers along with Autry and Zam (and perhaps Christian) to help make offense B work on all cylinders.

2) Do Castro and Hansen complement one another enough to play together?  Or, do they fit in more for playing in a primarily defensive lineup (Castro) or primarily an offensive one (Hansen).

3) Are freshmen Bevins and Nessah special enough talents to regularly crack the rotation?

4) Will we see much separation at the 1-3 positions?  After Jacoi and Drumgoole who both stand to play a lot, there's Autry, Moss, Jones, Bevins, and Nessah.  (I'll consider Zam a 4 despite playing like a small forward.)  

5) Do we now have the level of depth to regularly play 9-11 players (outside of garbage time)?  CC has commented in the past that he'd like to do this but did not feel he could in his previous seasons.   So, how about with this group?  (This of course assumes good health.)

Board footera