GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2019 9:34 am  #1

So, where are we at the quarter poll

7 games, or nearly 25% of the season has been completed.  We now have one week to take a breath and prepare for the more difficult part of the OOC schedule, after going 3-4 against mostly low majors and low mid majors.   Now get ready for games at South Carolina, Boston University (who recently beat the aforementioned South Carolina), Vermont, Harvard and Delaware. Hardly Duke, Kentucky Virginia, but still a substantial step up from who we have been playing.    As the season progresses, I am seeing some things fall into place.  Entering the Bahamas, we were 1-3, with losses to Towson, American (at home) and (gulp) Morgan State (at home).    In Bahamas, we lead wire to wire in all 3 games, with the exception of that late in the game collapse vs. UMKC.   That game, as much as any game, exposed our glaring defensive weakness in preventing penetration and inside scoring.   

With Toro out, it seems that the front line is Battle, then 2 of whoever is playing better between Javy, Mezzie and Ace.  The return of Toro will cost one of them playing time.  Likewise, once Paar is is healthy, he may displace another in terms of significant minutes.  I know Paar is 6'9" but I do not know if he is an inside force.   I wonder if Battle was instructed to provide inside help given his rebounding numbers the last game.  Likewise, I suspect we will likely see sharing time at the point between  Potter and Nelson, depending on the hot hand.    I look for Walker to remain at the shooting guard, given coaches fondness for taller guards (which may be the reason we did not see much of a Potter/Nelson back court in the Bahamas.   Of course Jack will play, as he is a crucial piece of the puzzle for us to be able to perform. 

During the tournament, I did not see much mayhem, or havoc, or whatever the defense is.  Didn't see that much of the bombs away from the 3.   I had said earlier that we do not seem to have the personnel to play in that manner and that we have to play the cards we were dealt.   Winning the last 2 games was crucial, not so much for the won loss record, but it showed the kids that they can win, and confidence is very important, especially for freshmen.   I think it may have also provided a necessary boost for the fan base, who was starting to liken the team to the 1988-1989 team.   

11/25/2019 12:05 pm  #2

Re: So, where are we at the quarter poll

GW is now embarked on its longest winning streak in the Christian Era.

Board footera