GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2019 5:45 pm  #1

BEST A10 player of the Decade?

Obi Toppin.  Is this the best A10 player we've had in this decade? Best player since Jameer Nelson and David West perhaps?

Deandre Bembry as a Senior comes to mind, any other candidates? We haven't had too much talent like this, it has in part kept the A10 from really making a lot of noise nationally in recent years, I think Dayton behind Obi could change that this year.

Thoughts?

Last edited by The Dude (11/25/2019 5:47 pm)

11/25/2019 6:01 pm  #2

Re: BEST A10 player of the Decade?

I remember Tu Holloway (Xavier) and Kevin Anderson (Richmond) destroying everyone in the very early 2010s.

11/25/2019 10:43 pm  #3

Jordan Crawford?

11/25/2019 10:57 pm  #4

Those guys were all very good but I don't recall them getting national attention, or being quite this dominant in College (Not since David West/Jameer IMO)  

I've seen NBA mock drafts already with Obi Toppin as a lottery pick, who seems to be climbing fast.

11/26/2019 7:07 am  #5

Toppin was talented but raw last year. His improvement is remarkable and he does indeed look like the best A10 player in a while. 

I would say at least since Andrew Nicholson, who was a great player, a first round draft pick, and led the Bonnie’s to the tourney.   There have been some other a10 players who have had nba careers (traveon graham and Jordan Crawford come to mind) but the only other first round pick I can recall in the last decade is Justin Harper from Richmond (nba bust).   In the non-NBA category, I thought Juan Fernandez could also arguably be called the best A10 player of the last decade, because he was a phenomenal college player.

11/26/2019 10:36 am  #6

Andrew Nicholson was the guy who popped into my mind as well.  He had a very pedestrian supporting cast and yet lifted the Bonnies onto his shoulders and into the tournament.  He was a pretty unstoppable force in college, scoring over 2,100 points while shooting 57.5% from the floor for his college career.  Impossible to believe he turns 30 in a few weeks.

11/26/2019 11:32 am  #7

Jordan Crawford was a first-round pick I believe

I think Bembry the only other during this decade unless Nicholson was

There was that stretch where we were getting even a guy like Lamar Odom. Late 90s early 2000s

What was amazing watching Dayton they looked like the more athletic team yesterday

11/26/2019 1:39 pm  #8

Nobody mentioning Langston Gallaway, who's averaging 13.0ppg for the Pistons this year. Went to Saint Joseph's and came into the league (undrafted) in 2015.

Not saying he was the best player to play in the Atlantic 10 this decade, but he is the best player right now to once play in the A-10.

11/26/2019 1:59 pm  #9

Mo Alie-Cox is surely the best in the NFL right now

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/vcus-mo-alie-cox-posterizes-defender-monster-dunk 

11/26/2019 2:52 pm  #10

Mo Allie looks like he is sticking! heard he's got an injury at the moment

DeAndre Bembry is having a really good year this year. He's really improved his shooting, he's become a nice stat stuffer 6th man.

Amazing, that for all of the success VCU had, they really haven't done much in The NBA.  Hard to get a lot of run in the NBA if you aren't a really good shooter, few of their guys have been based on the style of play.

Dayton, ditto, and even more amazing did not have a player drafted between 1990-2018 (Kostas snapped the streak 2nd round)  In contrast we had a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder in that stretch.

11/26/2019 10:50 pm  #11

So Dayton wins they are in the Final, Obi looked like a Beast.   Should play Kansas tomorrow for the Title, BYU vs Kansas on now

11/27/2019 11:37 am  #12

Looks like the real deal, but just a few games into his sophomore year, I am not yet ready to declare  him better than Pato, Cavanugh or Yuta.

11/27/2019 12:41 pm  #13

We're lucky he has a Soph season,  could be in the NBA right now, enjoy it while it lasts, he's an NBA lottery pick.

He and Dayton shall be tested in the Title game today! 5pm vs 4th ranked Kansas on ESPN

Board footera