GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2022 2:28 pm  #201

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Joel Joseph wrote:

Keith Greene claiming he uses his real name on this site. People arguing about colonials vs hippo's. Knocking the programs at MD and GTown.

Can't make this stuff up. Only here at GW Hoops can you be entertained despite being in a down decade!

Claiming?  

2/14/2022 3:41 pm  #202

Rising,
There's no doubt MD and GTown are struggling right now but GW never has been and never will be in their world, both athletically and academically. I know there is a few here that wish we were rivals at something, but those fans don't give a hoot about GW and never have.
MD will have no shortage of top coaches seeking that opening - my money is on Andy Enfield from USC. He will have them at the top of the Big 10 in a few years. I think Ewing will do the honorable thing after this season by resigning and save GTown the heartache of firing their most famous alumnus. In a few short years, they will be back at the top of the BE and the world will become normal again.

Meanwhile, GW will be in the middle of it's second decade of futility after hiring and firing Coach Dooley and Coach Carm in a 5 year period without winning the Patriot League and getting the auto bid into the NCAA's.

2/14/2022 3:49 pm  #203

I'd rather be at USC than UMD, but I admit to a bias toward the PAC 12.

2/14/2022 3:58 pm  #204

I'm sorry but even in a terrible year MD and Gtown are doing better than us. Apples to pretty putrid oranges

2/14/2022 4:22 pm  #205

Skittles wrote:

I'm sorry but even in a terrible year MD and Gtown are doing better than us. Apples to pretty putrid oranges

You are right about Maryland, which currently has an rpi of 106 compared to GW's 203, but you are not right about Georgetown. Their rpi is currently a putrid 254...

2/14/2022 4:26 pm  #206

Georgetown fans hoping Pat steps down instead of the “heartbreak” of firing him shows that they are a joke of a program. Totally handcuffed to the past instead of realizing that kids today don’t give a damn about their grandpa’s favorite team

2/14/2022 4:27 pm  #207

DC Native wrote:

Skittles wrote:

You are right about Maryland, which currently has an rpi of 106 compared to GW's 203, but you are not right about Georgetown. Their rpi is currently a putrid 254...

Honestly...didn't know that. Stand corrected, also yikes

2/15/2022 2:39 pm  #208

Comparing GW to MD or GT looks silly. MD and GT could be in the 300's and still run circles around us.
I know it makes us feel better and props our program up by making the comparisons but we aren't in the same universe as we were before the dumpster fire in 2016.

2/15/2022 3:36 pm  #209

Joel Joseph wrote:

Comparing GW to MD or GT looks silly. MD and GT could be in the 300's and still run circles around us.
I know it makes us feel better and props our program up by making the comparisons but we aren't in the same universe as we were before the dumpster fire in 2016.

I would agree on Maryland for sure. State school, Big 10, recent success, huge alumni support. Apples to Oranges.

As for Georgetown, the comparison is becoming closer and closer. They've made 3 NCAA tournaments in the past 10 years. Their record over that span 162-145 through this season. If they didn't catch lightning in a bottle last season, they would have been shut out of the NCAA tournament for 6 straight years (this most likely being the 7th). Their attendance has fallen percentage wise worse than ours. The support for the program is no longer what it was. They are living in the past and the trends point to more of a similar program to GW than not. You have to be about 50 to be old enough to remember their national championship. Georgetown is much closer to GW than it is to Maryland presently and over the past 10 years.

Last edited by GWRising (2/15/2022 4:02 pm)

2/15/2022 10:35 pm  #210

Georgetown could play us tomorrow and win by 20. I think a few here don't realize how shit we actually are. A win or 2 in the A10 doesn't make us worthy of a Big East ass whopping

2/16/2022 10:04 am  #211

Sorry Georgetown wouldn't beat the Little Sisters of the Poor by 20. No way Georgetown beats us currently unless you are trying to tell me they are as good or better than Davidson lol. Georgetown may play in the Big East but their 14 point average margin of defeat and 0-13 record means they are a Big East team  in name only right now. They would be a bottom dweller in the A-10 too!

Last edited by GWRising (2/16/2022 10:05 am)

2/16/2022 6:16 pm  #212

Sorry Rising but you are delusional about GTown.
They may have down years in basketball but they would wipe us off the floor. In addition to basketball, their athletic program as a whole is in a different and better universe than ours under the leadership of Tanya Vogel. I won't even comment on academics because it would be an insult to GTown grads to even go there.
As we like to say, keep Raising High and someday we may get there!

2/16/2022 6:34 pm  #213

Joel Joseph wrote:

Sorry Rising but you are delusional about GTown.
They may have down years in basketball but they would wipe us off the floor. In addition to basketball, their athletic program as a whole is in a different and better universe than ours under the leadership of Tanya Vogel. I won't even comment on academics because it would be an insult to GTown grads to even go there.
As we like to say, keep Raising High and someday we may get there!

Yes, just like they wiped Dartmouth and St. Joseph's off the floor. Seriously?

2/17/2022 11:50 am  #214

Watched Georgetown last night against Marquette.  They are really bad.  From watching our current play, it would definitely be a W at the Smith center

2/17/2022 12:09 pm  #215

If GT could wipe the floor with us, even in their bad days (like now), I have to ask, why don't they want to play us in pre conf games?
If they could beat us any time they choose, why did we clean their clock when they were at their best, or at least better?
Sorry, but the facts indicate to me that GT and GW are closer to equal than not.
As for the schools themselves, I agree that GT has the rep of being better, but the reality is that we used to be, at least equal. Not quite sure how we are now, with the push towards STEM.

Chris

2/17/2022 1:14 pm  #216

That is a brilliant take from Chris.
There's one way to find out, but they take the cowardly way out.

2/17/2022 1:45 pm  #217

chrisw wrote:

If GT could wipe the floor with us, even in their bad days (like now), I have to ask, why don't they want to play us in pre conf games?

The short answer to that question is "they are chickenshit". The long answer to that question is " they are a bunch of fucking chickenshits."

2/17/2022 2:57 pm  #218

Thanks JF!

2/17/2022 3:35 pm  #219

No question Georgetown has ducked us for years. Sounds like a program that is real secure in what they are doing lol. Give Maryland credit they have never ducked us. As a good friend of mine once said ... If Georgetown never wins again, it will be too soon.

2/17/2022 11:15 pm  #220

Since the lion represents England, maybe we should be the Tigers. 

Board footera