GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2022 9:27 am  #221

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Am I the only one who thinks Georgetown would beat us pretty easily? Our biggest weakness is rebounding and interior offense. Georgetown isn't good at much but seems like all of their guys rebound the ball well. None of their bigs are super impressive down low but they also wouldn't need to be against us.

2/18/2022 9:43 am  #222

To Georgetown's way of thinking, they ducked GW for nearly 40 years because they believed they had nothing to gain but plenty to lose by playing the game.  It's an archaic way of thinking today.  Is a Georgetown recruit who wants to play in the Big East really going to decide against the Hoyas because they lost a single game to GW?  Even better, will that same recruit decide on attending GW instead because of this single outcome?  Has Nova pulled out of the Big 5 for similar reasons?  Does Kansas purposefully avoid Missouri?  Do Cincinnati and Xavier no longer want to have anything to do with one another?

Now that Georgetown has been knocked down more than a few pegs, why won't they play GW today?  This original edict came from John Thompson, Jr. and both his son and now Ewing do not want to go against this.  Plus, Georgetown's own hubris will not allow it.  if Georgetown does agree to play, aren't they acknowledging that they are not that good?  That they no longer have everything to lose and nothing to gain?

To be sure, it will take a forward-thinking coach from someplace outside of the Thompson tree to step in and schedule the game, understanding both the importance of city rivalries as well as the statistical side of playing challenging OOC games (and yes, our metrics will need to improve for this to happen).

2/18/2022 9:56 am  #223

Gwmayhem wrote:

Now that Georgetown has been knocked down more than a few pegs, why won't they play GW today?

People still ask this? Same reason Dayton won't play Wright State or BC play BU or  St. Johns vs Fordham... you don't play down-league in the same ZIP code (unless you're Villanova in the Big 5).
Cosmetics. Elitism. Nothing to do with recruiting. 

2/18/2022 10:10 am  #224

I can't stand Georgetown and I'm happy to see their current troubles, but GW shares some of the blame for us not playing for decades. My understanding is that Georgetown has been willing to play us as long as we play at Capital One Arena. While this would technically be an away game for us, with no return game at the Smith Center, Capital One Arena is just a few blocks from campus. There is no reason GW couldn't get a good crowd at the game. GW could even buy up enough tickets to include the game as part of their season ticket package. They could also bus any students willing to go to the arena.

2/18/2022 11:19 am  #225

Mentzinger wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Now that Georgetown has been knocked down more than a few pegs, why won't they play GW today?

People still ask this? Same reason Dayton won't play Wright State or BC play BU or  St. Johns vs Fordham... you don't play down-league in the same ZIP code (unless you're Villanova in the Big 5).
Cosmetics. Elitism. Nothing to do with recruiting. 

Not sure what you are looking at Mentzinger but St. Johns has played Fordham 30 times since we last played Georgetown. BC has played Boston University 7 times and Dayton has played Wright State 8 times.

I don't think you can find another comparison of two D1 schools in the same city (or even state) not playing for 40 years. If there is an example, perhaps someone can share it because I am unaware of it.

2/18/2022 1:55 pm  #226

DC Native wrote:

I can't stand Georgetown and I'm happy to see their current troubles, but GW shares some of the blame for us not playing for decades. My understanding is that Georgetown has been willing to play us as long as we play at Capital One Arena. While this would technically be an away game for us, with no return game at the Smith Center, Capital One Arena is just a few blocks from campus. There is no reason GW couldn't get a good crowd at the game. GW could even buy up enough tickets to include the game as part of their season ticket package. They could also bus any students willing to go to the arena.

Sorry, DC Native, but coming to this board and saying GW shares some of the blame for refusing to get on our knees for Georgetown is offensive.

2/18/2022 2:30 pm  #227

Yes, the ball lands squarely in their court.
In fact, they could have played us in the local BB&T Classic tournament they took over and destroyed, the times they graciously allowed us to participate in a sea of their branding at the Cap One Arena. Instead they cowardly played Elon and Coppin State. Meanwhile, we played Temple and Florida State.
   They did a nice job in prompting the final demise of a tournament that raised $10 million for children's charities. Just another part of their proud history.

2/18/2022 4:01 pm  #228

Just talked to my peeps at GTown - They said as soon as we can beat American U, Hampton and UMBC, they will schedule us with a home and away. They didn't include Hampton and Navy so we should consider ourselves lucky!

2/18/2022 4:08 pm  #229

Joel Joseph wrote:

Just talked to my peeps at GTown - They said as soon as we can beat American U, Hampton and UMBC, they will schedule us with a home and away. They didn't include Hampton and Navy so we should consider ourselves lucky!

Just talked to my peeps in the A10. They recommended GW not schedule Georgetown until two things happen - one they win a Big East game and  two, they can beat the next to last place team in the Ivy League at home. 

2/18/2022 5:05 pm  #230

Curious question:  You are JC.  You receive the call from Georgetown today.  Two for one offer.  At Capital One in 2022-23, at Smith Center in 2023-24, and at Capital One in 2024-25.  Are you accepting or rejecting that offer?

2/18/2022 5:23 pm  #231

Question Rising - are your A-10 peeps the same peeps who gave the "Bull Riding" Patrick Nero the A-10 AD of the Year Award in 2017?

2/18/2022 5:38 pm  #232

Gwmayhem wrote:

Curious question:  You are JC.  You receive the call from Georgetown today.  Two for one offer.  At Capital One in 2022-23, at Smith Center in 2023-24, and at Capital One in 2024-25.  Are you accepting or rejecting that offer?

Absolutely. But I doubt that call ever comes

2/18/2022 5:48 pm  #233

Joel Joseph wrote:

Question Rising - are your A-10 peeps the same peeps who gave the "Bull Riding" Patrick Nero the A-10 AD of the Year Award in 2017?

No idea. But tell your Georgetown peeps three things:

1. DePaul is the only thing standing between them and 0-18 
2. The 17 people who will show up to watch on the 24th should be given a Medal of Honor and free counseling for the PTSD.
3. There is no truth to the rumor at this point that Val has been negotiating with the MEAC to trade Georgetown for Howard but stay tuned!.

2/18/2022 5:50 pm  #234

Gwmayhem wrote:

Accept so we can beat their ass and put all this nonsense to bed on the sinking ship otherwise known as Georgetown.

2/18/2022 6:03 pm  #235

Gwmayhem wrote:

No.zero reason for us to take a 2 for 1 with those has beens, especially after the BB&T debacle.

Last edited by Free Quebec (2/18/2022 6:04 pm)

2/18/2022 6:53 pm  #236

If I was GW, I’d play those bitches any time and anywhere. I’ll take actual victories over moral victories every time.

2/18/2022 9:06 pm  #237

If you're JC(or any GW coach), I think you have to accept any offer from Georgetown to play because Georgetown is in the Big East and they're still a pretty big name/brand locally and nationally, despite being terrible this year and average for the past 6 or 7 years.

To illustrate how bad Georgetown is this year, they are actually a 20.5 POINT UNDERDOG at Villanova tomorrow afternoon. It's rare that you find that big of a spread in a conference game 

2/18/2022 9:15 pm  #238

I get that Georgetown is bad, but it’s a loser mentality to suggest we should bow down to them and play a road game only, instead of restoring the city rivalry they’ve long chickened out of. 

I suppose If they were offering us big money like a buy game, but that’ll never happen.  Can’t believe some of you would just get on our knees for them.

2/18/2022 10:46 pm  #239

First choice: Colonials.  Second choice: Cherries.

2/18/2022 11:23 pm  #240

The Other MG wrote:

First choice: Colonials. Second choice: Cherries.

Cherries would be cool.

Board footera