GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2023 10:33 am  #501

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Am looking forward to next year when some announcer will inevitably say, "so the Colonials...I mean The Fog, are up 6...you know, I have no idea why they changed their name."

The Fog is the best by far.  And even with that said, the majority of the country will not have any idea that it's in reference to Foggy Bottom.  I have to think more about The Blue Fog.  It incorporates a school color but aside from that, resembles "jumbo shrimp" though not an oxymoron. 

2/02/2023 10:41 am  #502

Gwmayhem wrote:

Am looking forward to next year when some announcer will inevitably say, "so the Colonials...I mean The Fog, are up 6...you know, I have no idea why they changed their name."

To be fair we're already called the Colonels (the La Salle PBP did within the first minute) so it wouldn't be the first time we're called by the wrong name.

As much crap as Dan Snyder got about the name change, there's a reason why teams go with sterile names like the Commanders.  I like the idea of Revolutionaries or Monuments (not Monumentals) because they'll just fade away after a few years.  Although on the flip side, Wizards was a pretty dopey name when it first came out and now it's just the Washington Basketball Team's name.

2/02/2023 11:40 am  #503

These names are embarrassing.  Way to make GW a laughingstock.

2/02/2023 12:35 pm  #504

At the risk of being trolled by this list, WTF!      How do any of these complete the cheer, “Let’s Go ____! I’m sure any of these will move the needle in a non-sports setting; so it’s all good (sarcasm).

This is exactly the outcome I wrote GW about that this drawn out every conceivable stakeholder process would produce a terrible result like Commanders. We are going to get a shit name bc of the process and criteria used boxed them in.

OR we will find out that the acting president delegated the decision by mistake to the provost who spent 5 minutes flipping a coin.

Last edited by FredD (2/02/2023 1:37 pm)

2/02/2023 1:08 pm  #505

Does anyone know if Colonials was picked so long ago because at the time there was no better choice? Maybe in the early 20th century they took a long time in coming up with Colonials. I think they knew what they were doing when they picked Colonials. I think they had a better process then in making decisions. Everyone for a hundred years was wrong. I think ignorance is more prevalent today than now. Like articles in the Hatchet about students complaining about taking courses outside their major. Why study History,? Why prove why a change is needed.? No one has adequately done this. Just shove an unwanted change down our throats because of ignorance. 

2/02/2023 1:40 pm  #506

BGF wrote:

I do hope that someone from the committee who will make final recommendation is actually monitoring this board. I would like to personally volunteer to sit in on any kind of focus group that might be done with fans who are not under the age of 22, you know, the ones that donate money and are expanding the GW brand into the world, you know, now.

Feel like it is legitimizing this stupidity. Award a tie vote to the preconceived notion and discard a longtime nickname to pay millions in rebranding while likely having layoffs of its poorest workers.But BGF is quite correct. 
The alumni, those who also actually graduated from GW, unlike a big percentage of current 
students who wont do so, no doubt will have their thoughts discarded. Like what caused this nonsense in the first place. Do we get a focus group with equal or greater weight?
    The Fog does sound cool. But what does a new recruit say? "I'm proud to say I will be a Fog?"
  Also, and don't know if anyone else has posted this, would we be called Fog U ?

2/02/2023 2:21 pm  #507

It appears everyone who supported this name change is in a fog- a brain fog. By the way, isn't the new NIL collective named FOG - Friends of George? I would think that GW would want to steer clear of that name because the NIL collective is supposed to be separate and distinct from the University name or nickname. There would be lots of confusion.

Last edited by GWRising (2/02/2023 2:23 pm)

2/02/2023 2:32 pm  #508

If there is one thing that I remember from being a student at GW, it is that the administration often makes it look like they’re listening to students, but unless the students agree with the administration, it’s not going to make a whole lot of difference.

If you look back at the criteria that the university has set for the new name, it is easy to see that most  of the names, especially anything to do with Fog, have no chance of being chosen.

Last edited by BGF (2/02/2023 2:32 pm)

2/02/2023 2:56 pm  #509

Yeah,  Fog makes as much sense as the "Bottoms".    And where on that list was "Generals"?    I just can't find anything I like better than the "Colonials" no matter how hard I try.

2/02/2023 3:54 pm  #510

What does "George Washington Buzz" even mean? Still like Revolution/Revolutionaries the best from the list. Looks like a big drop-off in quality after the first few entries. Could probably get on board with Fog eventually but something about the name feels incomplete.

2/03/2023 2:47 pm  #511

These are all mostly dumb (I can get behind The Fog) but Foghoppers, the buzz, firecrackers... yikes

2/03/2023 4:38 pm  #512

The “Revolution” makes way too much sense.So by all means let’s choose the “Fog”?

2/05/2023 1:21 pm  #513

I do NOT like "The Fog." 

2/05/2023 11:36 pm  #514

I feel like if I took a focus group consisting of buddies and got them all drunk we could come with something at least slightly better than this amongst our fits of black out stupor

2/06/2023 3:41 am  #515

I think Fog is the best option. It's unique (I love the idea of having a name without an s at the end). I also love how it incorporates the name of the Foggy Bottom neighborhood. I'm not a fan of Revolution or Revolutionaries because of the similarities with the MLS team New England Revolution. I do agree that some of the options are absolutely outrageous. Firecrackers? Buzz? I'm not even sure where those ideas came from

2/06/2023 9:10 am  #516

You newbies can talk about fog all you want, but the University has specifically stated that the name has to have some relevance to one of the three guiding themes.  Exactly which one does that fit? Asking for a friend.

2/06/2023 9:20 am  #517

By the logic used to get rid of Colonial, I don't know how you can you use Revolution or Revolutionaries.  Pretty sure more people have died or were oppressed in violent revolutions (Russia, China, Cuba, Iran) than were during the Colonial period in the United States.  But, since it didn't happen here, I guess it doesn't count.  That all seems pretty xenophobic to me.

2/06/2023 12:11 pm  #518

Fog doesn't fit saying "I'm a Fog."
But from a juvenile mindset, do like the idea of chanting "Fog U.!" at officials, opposing fans and in general.

2/06/2023 1:10 pm  #519

Although the game wasn't what we hoped, perhaps the best thing that happened Saturday was Mike Jarvis taking shots at the name change while addressing the Colonials Club before the game in front of board members, President Wrighton, and TV. There was a lot of applause for his remarks on that. Suffice it to say, this is not popular among the alums or HOFers ... at least those older than 40.

2/06/2023 1:19 pm  #520

What name relates to GW? He was a soldier, surveyor, hemp grower, president. A traitor to England. A Virginian. I think the old timers were right when they picked Colonials. Nothing else seems to fit. Administrators were spineless when they caved in to the nee bobs who wanted a change. Well, they can now pay for their stupidity. If Nebraska has Corn Huskers, we can have Hemp Growers. Pass out weed before every home game. And maybe some protesting students will show up for a game.

Board footera