GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2023 6:34 am  #681

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Anyone notice it was a nickname and no longer a moniker in the announcement video?

5/25/2023 8:24 am  #682

Just revolting. A guillotine will be on all the new uniforms. 

5/25/2023 8:39 am  #683

GW69. An icepick is more appropriate. Merrick, can't you see donations increasing a hundredfold from the students, and other non alumni who wanted the change? What a waste of money with negative impacts in the future. 

5/25/2023 9:50 am  #684

I don't know if this is true but I heard a rumor that someone is planning to print T-shirts in protest that say "We Will Always Be The Colonials" and wear them at games in the blue seats. If this is true and you are the t-shirt guy lurking here, sign me up and happy to pay for one. I am sure a few students will be triggered and have to retreat to safe spaces with therapy dogs.

5/25/2023 10:19 am  #685

Here's my take..The name has been changed whether you agree it needed to be or not. Why get so upset and find a need to divide our community. We're all here because we care about GW. Time to get over it and move on as one community. 

Raise High!  I'm all in on GW and will buy some new gear because that's who are. Get over it.

5/25/2023 11:52 am  #686

Make new friends but remember the old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMx_X9vrHss

5/25/2023 12:04 pm  #687

Loved the video.  Was that you singing?

5/25/2023 12:14 pm  #688

Florida Colonial wrote:

Here's my take..The name has been changed whether you agree it needed to be or not. Why get so upset and find a need to divide our community. We're all here because we care about GW. Time to get over it and move on as one community. 

Raise High!  I'm all in on GW and will buy some new gear because that's who are. Get over it.

With all due respect, it was GW that decided to divide the community because of pure weakness. Instead of explaining what Colonials meant and stood for and immediately shutting it down, they entertained this nonsense with fervor. They made their bed ... they can now lie in it. The University name is next up. We will see what you think then because when you give these morons an inch, we all see what happens next.

5/25/2023 1:35 pm  #689

That video is brilliant. Have or had some of those items.
Here's the thing: we're all in or we wouldn't be here. We're still all in, but think our patience is being sorely
tried.
  Constantly having crap forced down our throats due to the whims of those well-described in posts
above doesn't mean we have to be happy when we swallow the crap sandwiches. And at some point, some of us are just going to give up--and there aren't that many passionate GW Colonial/Revolutionaries to lose.
   We have an upward trajectory with a coach who appears to be a very fine asset and promising players and signees. But it's now 7 years in on a rebuild due to the same factors that brought us the nickname--and that was debunked with written and video evidence. 
  So our happy smiles might be a little forced over this truly significant earth and image-changing event, well worth Chuck Todd's and the university's time and probably millions that could go to education, if not athletics.
  Great job, students and administration. Now, leave us alone for awhile.

5/25/2023 1:54 pm  #690

JF that summed up my position pretty well.  It's a done deal, but it had better be a done deal (unless they want to go back to Colonials), no further nonsense by a few students to change the nickname again.  Absolutely do not change any other names!!

5/25/2023 1:58 pm  #691

We can all continue to play this stupid game. Wonder if the students are offended by our Adidas sponsorship as the founders of Adidas were members of the Nazi-party? (by the way, thanks to Sonny Vaccaro for enlightening me to this fact). I should change my name here to GWShame.

Last edited by GWRising (5/25/2023 2:02 pm)

5/25/2023 5:02 pm  #692

GWRising wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

With all due respect, it was GW that decided to divide the community because of pure weakness. Instead of explaining what Colonials meant and stood for and immediately shutting it down, they entertained this nonsense with fervor. They made their bed ... they can now lie in it. The University name is next up. We will see what you think then because when you give these morons an inch, we all see what happens next.

I’m ambivalent about the change. Once it got to a point it was going to change and as for the choice it’s terrible. However, IMO  this whole name thing misses much bigger points:

What can be done to make GW more affordable and attractive to all sorts of students.

Can anything be done to increase students > alumni engagement in terms of spirit and numbers and giving?

My question to the folks who consider this a win is to what end? Is it about heard? Etc? Cultural scorekeeping? Because if it’s about feelings and emotion alone what a nothing burger.

5/25/2023 6:07 pm  #693

How are you going to put all those letters on a uniform and still be able to see it? 15 letters? And that introduction video? Ugh!

5/25/2023 6:33 pm  #694

Half of those same kids who were apparently so butt hurt over colonials probably couldn’t spell this new name. Revolutionaries lmaooooo so basically the colonials!

5/25/2023 6:36 pm  #695

Also I’d pay money for the racial demographics of those who protested the name. Cause my next paycheck says they were all lily white, progressive, rich, and have never heard the word no before. Hot take I know! This is such a virtue signaling move man

5/25/2023 7:38 pm  #696

Nice to know there are so many unwoke people out there.

Last edited by BC (5/25/2023 7:39 pm)

5/26/2023 9:16 am  #697

No one on this site has passed the line of disparaging anyone.  It's the result of frustration at what appears to be the appeasement of a relatively small group of students by most account some hundreds of students out of a population of over 11,000.  It's fair to have an alternative feeling about this decision, and to everyone's credit there has been no suggestion folks won't support the university or the teams.  We can complain about it, since this change was originally about a complaint from students.  It's also fair to question whether or not there will be complaints about the new name, since this issue started from complaints from students.  

5/26/2023 9:42 am  #698

So many people here are turning into Counter-Revolutionaries.  Lenin and Stalin had an answer for them. Are future opponents of GW going to be called Tories?  I think there should be an Alumni Oversite Board established to scrutinize actions by the Administration that is deemed detrimental to University. If we had one this stupidity would have been stopped years ago.

5/26/2023 10:08 am  #699

jersey guy wrote:

No one on this site has passed the line of disparaging anyone.  It's the result of frustration at what appears to be the appeasement of a relatively small group of students by most account some hundreds of students out of a population of over 11,000.  It's fair to have an alternative feeling about this decision, and to everyone's credit there has been no suggestion folks won't support the university or the teams.  We can complain about it, since this change was originally about a complaint from students.  It's also fair to question whether or not there will be complaints about the new name, since this issue started from complaints from students.  

Exactly. I am just having fun with all the rich contradictions that those who support this name change have engendered. You are offended by Colonials but not by Adidas supporting athletics with its Nazi-heritage. Interesting. My secret decoder pen does work on the word "woke". It seems to alternatively say "virtue signal" and "hypocrite." I have to get the damn thing fixed to settle on one lol.

5/26/2023 10:33 am  #700

GWRising wrote:

jersey guy wrote:

Exactly. I am just having fun with all the rich contradictions that those who support this name change have engendered. You are offended by Colonials but not by Adidas supporting athletics with its Nazi-heritage. Interesting. My secret decoder pen does work on the word "woke". It seems to alternatively say "virtue signal" and "hypocrite." I have to get the damn thing fixed to settle on one lol.

Please notice I never said the word offended; I get why students are upset we live in a different time sometimes for the better some for the worse.  I did not particularly care for the process.  We need to get to the point where we can disagree without being disagreeable.  I will say I am concerned with the possibility there will be a next step with the name of the school.  I have an issue with the word woke is a bit of a trigger for me I work in non-profits that work in the poorest communities, and get hit from both sides, as I tell my colleagues and some of my friends that are more conservative... "I don't have the luxury of ideology" we need to serve in communities and whoever is in power needs to be convinced we are effective. Secretly I I think both parties have lost their collective minds most of the time.

Board footera