GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2023 5:47 pm  #701

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Woah, hope nobody took what I said as disparaging anyone. Just pointing out that this small group that has lead to this change are A) not a demographic that would be negatively affected by the perceived offense and B) that yes, this “woke” (or whatever you’d like to call it if that’s too harsh of a word) trend of changing such ridiculous things for sake of “see. We are allies” is detrimental to actual movements fighting actual causes. Nobody cares about an M&M or Colonials. Real progress was changing our forts from the names of traitors who fought on the side of oppression and bondage. This here? This is a bunch of rich progressive kids who didn’t get enough attention that week.

5/26/2023 5:52 pm  #702

Also I’m not gonna go too far into it since it brings out the worst in this board but given the last decade of lawsuits, not protecting students (yeah I’m going there, bite me), discrimination (including ACTIVE cases!), racism (that athlete I think also sued), lying about educational achievements (what a fun article to wake up to),  and a wild story involving an “ex terrorist” and blow, this “hey, look how great we are” pat on the back by the University is eye rolling and changing this nickname is inconsequential (at the end of the day WHO CARES) but not the change they should probably think about starting with.

5/26/2023 6:45 pm  #703

Kittles no offense taken

5/27/2023 12:27 am  #704

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37722846/george-washington-adopts-revolutionaries-new-moniker

Could not care less what the school nickname is, childish to get worked about an inoffensive name, childish to get worked about a change too. 

Name is pretty good actually,  but too long, but who cares.  We've always been known as "GW" anyway and still will be.

Syracuse, St Johns, The WFT all changed their nicknames, and after tons of whining about that too people just accept the new nickname and move on.

5/27/2023 7:39 am  #705

I don’t think it is the name per se that has most of our gang worked up-what has been reiterated a hundred 
times here is that the process was remarkably flawed on several levels.Of course,by definition,some folks 
wouldn’t like whatever name was chosen.In so far as it is the “offseason” and that other than recruits to 
speculate on,I believe it’s obvious that moniker madness would be an important topic of discussion here.
It’s also human nature to complain-trust me on this one-and I for one always take advantage of every opportunity I get to be self-righteous!Also it’s just fun to share angst isn’t. It? -even though we know moniker choices are of infinitesimal significance in the scheme of things.

5/27/2023 8:26 am  #706

Next up. Virginia will have to get rid of the name Cavaliers. There are so many Round Heads around that the name is offensive and divisive. Amazed that their campus isn't in an uproar about that Royalist name. 

5/27/2023 12:29 pm  #707

GW69 wrote:

even though we know moniker choices are of infinitesimal significance in the scheme of things.

I’ll use my off-season angst to disagree a bit. 

The significance relates to the time, effort, money and most importantly, the decision making quality of university leadership. 

In decades as a GW alum—not one single
Person ever mentioned the Colonial moniker as an issue of concern.  This past week—multiple friends/colleagues across the country became aware of the name change through news/social media and have contacted me asking WTF?  No one has reached out saying, “About time you did this!” 

This is not some Redskims debate where you had logos deemed offensive—this was a darn Colonial!!!!   Colonial athletics conferences, Colonial Williamsburg, colonial houses, etc.   

Even if one could go get used to the idea of pursuing a newer, more modern, and “inclusive” moniker—not once did the Administration dispute the accusations against the moniker and acknowledge that the moniker has a proud history that many of us have shared in. Instead, the capitulated at the first sign of protest and cowered unde their desks and review commissions.  Yes, indeed—the process and changes are an embarrassment for many alumni and bewilderment to probably at least half of the country.

My general point regarding university support is that I have lots of options among worthy causes for my charitable giving (non-charitable if NIL). Perhaps I am wrong, but to me, this entire episode seems not just merely a dispute and free inquiry/debate among competing minds in the marketplace of ideas, but another capitulation to the mob dressed up with a process akin to an English king’s privy court.  If that’s what my university is all about and wishes to engage in its most public activity in recent memory, I want nothing to do with it.  I’ll make a single exception to enjoy some college basketball games when I have the chance and the sport still somewhat resembles what attracted me to it in the first instance.  But otherwise—GW is largely dead to me.

Last edited by Merrick (5/27/2023 12:32 pm)

5/27/2023 1:14 pm  #708

Let’s remember how this whole incredibly ignorant endeavor began: “ More than 530 students objected to the name.” 

So essentially, a 110 year old institution of higher education, which has hosted hundreds of thousands of students over the years, had its history hijacked by a flash mob of less than 600 imbeciles who inhabited the campus for a pinpoint of time.  And it was all based on an incorrect understanding of the definition of Colonials. And this mob of dopes had the Genius Bar that is the school’s trustees and administration gleefully coming up with a list of historically significant names like “The Squad,” and “The Catalysts.” 

That’s what happened here. And there is more to come until - like Chappelle, Rogan, and JK Rowling have proven - people realize you can tell the mob to fuck off. That’s a long way off based on the current GW trajectory. So hunker down, fellas.

5/27/2023 3:21 pm  #709

Merrick wrote:

GW69 wrote:

even though we know moniker choices are of infinitesimal significance in the scheme of things.

I’ll use my off-season angst to disagree a bit.

The significance relates to the time, effort, money and most importantly, the decision making quality of university leadership.

In decades as a GW alum—not one single
Person ever mentioned the Colonial moniker as an issue of concern. This past week—multiple friends/colleagues across the country became aware of the name change through news/social media and have contacted me asking WTF? No one has reached out saying, “About time you did this!”

This is not some Redskims debate where you had logos deemed offensive—this was a darn Colonial!!!! Colonial athletics conferences, Colonial Williamsburg, colonial houses, etc.

Even if one could go get used to the idea of pursuing a newer, more modern, and “inclusive” moniker—not once did the Administration dispute the accusations against the moniker and acknowledge that the moniker has a proud history that many of us have shared in. Instead, the capitulated at the first sign of protest and cowered unde their desks and review commissions. Yes, indeed—the process and changes are an embarrassment for many alumni and bewilderment to probably at least half of the country.

My general point regarding university support is that I have lots of options among worthy causes for my charitable giving (non-charitable if NIL). Perhaps I am wrong, but to me, this entire episode seems not just merely a dispute and free inquiry/debate among competing minds in the marketplace of ideas, but another capitulation to the mob dressed up with a process akin to an English king’s privy court. If that’s what my university is all about and wishes to engage in its most public activity in recent memory, I want nothing to do with it. I’ll make a single exception to enjoy some college basketball games when I have the chance and the sport still somewhat resembles what attracted me to it in the first instance. But otherwise—GW is largely dead to me.

Wow-I didn’t know I would get a chance to be self righteous so quickly!You are of course correct-the moniker controversy along with the ML thing along with the US News thing is up there with wars ,earthquakes,mass 
shootings,insurrections etc,etc and etc.Very significant in the scheme of things!

5/27/2023 4:28 pm  #710

GW69–you are absolutely correct re wars, earthquakes, etc.  I was thinking your point was purely in terms of the university. 

If MBB and GW went away tomorrow—most of us would find a happy way to continue.

5/27/2023 4:55 pm  #711

All good my friend.Have a great holiday weekend.-and to all the amazing people on this site.

5/27/2023 10:58 pm  #712

Alumni would have a bigger say if they donated more money. And I recognize that it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy in the sense that you won't donate when GW does stuff you don't like but that leaves the door open for a group of students to start a movement to change the name or do whatever. I understand that students are scapegoated here for many but as a student entering their fourth year at GW I have had no say beyond the surveys sent out to the community as a whole asking for opinions on potential new names. I understand that we often need to point the finger at other generations but I know there are many of us students/recent graduates who have been left frustrated by the name changing process (as many have alluded to here).

As for the name itself, I think Revolutionaries is marginally better than Colonials but a slight increase is not worth all of the time, energy, and money spent on the process. The fact that we had a year of lame duck Colonials without knowing what the name would be is absurd to me and points to the dysfunctional nature of the GW administration many of us are familiar with in many aspects. I've said this before but I think Colonials was a lame name and I stand by that. I'd imagine they'll opt to use Revs but I don't really forsee them moving away from the "George Washington" or "GW" on athletic uniforms. I guess we will see. FWIW, I think Commanders would have been great for GW but the football team stole it.

Also, as they have repeatedly said, they're not going to change the name of the school. If you are scared, get a dog.

Last edited by gwstudent2024 (5/28/2023 1:02 am)

5/27/2023 11:59 pm  #713

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Alumni would have a bigger say if they donated more money. And I recognize that it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy in the sense that you won't donate when GW does stuff you don't like but that leaves the door open for a group of students to start a movement to change the name or do whatever. I understand that students are scapegoated here for many but as a student entering their fourth year at GW I have had no say beyond the surveys sent out to the community as a whole asking for opinions on potential new names. I understand that we often need to point the finger at other generations but I know there are many of us students/recent graduates who have been left frustrated by the name changing process (as many have alluded to here).

As for the name itself, I think Revolutionaries is marginally better than Colonials but a slight increase is not worth all of the time, energy, and money spent on the process. The fact that we had a year of lame duck Colonials without knowing what the name would be is absurd to me and points to the dysfunctional nature of the GW administration many of us are familiar with in many aspects. I've said this before but I think Colonials was a lame name and I stand by that. I'd imagine they'll opt to use Revs but I don't really forsee them moving away from the "George Washington" or "GW" on athletic uniforms. I guess we will see. FWIW, I think Commanders would have been great for GW but the football team stole it.

Also, as they have repeatedly said, they're not going to change the name of the school. If you are scared, get a dog. Or donate more money. Or both. I'm all in on a live mascot

Given that I was a student when we ran the ROTC off campus and ended student government, can’t complain that current students were initiators of the Marvin Center name change and likely the driving force behind dropping Colonials as the school’s moniker. As unnecessary and ill-conceived as I thought the whole effort was, I’m hardly going to fret about it going forward. I’m certainly not going to use it as a rationale for reducing my past support. As for the idea of a live mascot, how cool would it be for a rider on a horse to dash into the Smith Center and announce the coming of the opposing team a la that famous Revolutionary silversmith? Or perhaps better to announce the entrance of GW’s players, “The Colonials are coming! The Colonials are coming!” Oh wait. “The Colonists are coming!” Well, maybe just “REV it up! Here comes your fellow Revolutionaries!”

5/28/2023 8:17 am  #714

I too have been disappointed with the name change. Silly and stupid are not intellectual terms to describe some ones actions. But they fit for the administrators involved with this scheme. I particularly like Merrik’s comments -the 3rd and 4th paragraph stating that over the years we have not heard complaints about the Colonial name This was the gist of the letter that I wrote to President Wrighton. I voiced my displeasure. I wondered  if a group of Duke University students approached their administrators with the concern that “Blue Devils” represented evil doings and this must be changed. Surely, they would be shown the door and dismissed out right. 500 hundred students were behind this movement. The days of great administrators like Bob Chernak are long gone. With six months to go until the first basketball game. As the teams approach half court for the opening tip off, I will standing and yell with all my might “Lets go Colonials” Please join me.

5/28/2023 11:53 am  #715

Custis, I think you have something there. Just keep on saying Colonials and just ignore everything the administration has done. The Administration ignored the alumni so just ignore them.  There will not be any of the students who pressed for the change at the games anyway. 

5/28/2023 12:38 pm  #716

George Washington the slave owner is next!

5/28/2023 3:18 pm  #717

Cutis wrote:

I too have been disappointed with the name change. Silly and stupid are not intellectual terms to describe some ones actions. But they fit for the administrators involved with this scheme. I particularly like Merrik’s comments -the 3rd and 4th paragraph stating that over the years we have not heard complaints about the Colonial name This was the gist of the letter that I wrote to President Wrighton. I voiced my displeasure. I wondered  if a group of Duke University students approached their administrators with the concern that “Blue Devils” represented evil doings and this must be changed. Surely, they would be shown the door and dismissed out right. 500 hundred students were behind this movement. The days of great administrators like Bob Chernak are long gone. With six months to go until the first basketball game. As the teams approach half court for the opening tip off, I will standing and yell with all my might “Lets go Colonials” Please join me.

I don’t think the name change is great especially given the replacement. I wrote everybody I could think of with my issues with the process but fwiw I consider the matter settled. Fighting it doesn’t help anything

Last edited by FredD (5/28/2023 3:19 pm)

5/28/2023 3:54 pm  #718

I think the name change is dumb, but the over the top snowflake whining from old men on this board is even worse.

5/28/2023 10:42 pm  #719

What is whining about whining called
Real whining?
Make a real argument without tossing off accusations.
Since a large majority here think it's nonsense,it's Ok to point that out.
How many times do we have to take whatever deal GW hands to us because of cowering,inept "leadership"
We have endured this bowing to a small minority of students and a few out there professors since 2016. It's not amusing anymore.
Everyone knows who the snowflakes are in this and it's not the critics. Nor should current students suggest a support animal.
They're the ones who need them.
This decision is less than a week old.
What are we supposed to discuss on a GW fan board, especially with no other news?
Feel free to say,"Thank you sir,may I have another?
But don't disparage those who don't want to ask for more.

5/29/2023 12:39 am  #720

Not sure who made this board the arbiter of facts or the bellweather of what GW should be or is doing. There are only 45 distinct identifiers here of those who have posted more than 100 times. 3 more than 2,000. 4 more than 1,500, 2 more than 1,000, 8 more than 500, 15 more than 250, and 13 more than 100. Among those 45, let alone the many others listed as registered posters, there is no universal opinion on GW’s past, present, future or the people who have led or are leading the university or the athletic department. There is no weighted average to the number of posts making one poster’s facts and opinions, facts in evidence. Count me with Free Quebec on this one. However misguided I may think this whole exercise was, there were a lot more people calling for the change than staunchly opposing it. Most people probably just shook their heads and said “huh?” and either “bullshit” or “whatever.” Like the change or not, Caputo and McCombs and all the other coaches will get on with building their teams as the GW Revolutionaries. If you support the teams, who gives a flying F what they’re called? If the name change or the process was offensive to you, fine. Withhold your financial support, don’t buy tickets, wear Colonials gear, vent here or send messages of disapproval. But let’s not pretend it’s not about telling kids to get off our lawn.

Board footera