GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2019 3:35 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Delaware Game Thread

Great posts DMV!
love the image, Armel! WOAH!  ....tough year for Wojcik   

12/08/2019 6:39 pm  #42

DMV, that guy wasn’t inviting the fans to sing the national anthem.   I’m assuming you were not sitting where you could see his face but he clearly forgot the words and was overly embarrassed.  I thought the way the fans helped him was great. 

Quibbles about real things:
1) in all the praise for Juice, people are underrating JNJ’s defensive job.  He was absolute lockdown in the first half and was much better than juice, but juice stepped up late.

2) disagree with those complaining about the short bench.  It worked and we won a (for us) tough game. 

3). I’m hoping maceo’s three threes will help him improve.  We desperately need to him to be better in A10 play.  Hopefully he’ll settle into his role.

12/09/2019 9:35 am  #43

a few other random thoughts:
1. Battle was definitely assigned to Goss in the first half. It was on the assignment board ...
2. The importance of Maceo was really evident this game. Not only making shots in the second half, but on the three Potter hit late in the half, a UD defender had a chance to rotate to contest the shot, but backed off to stay on Maceo, giving Potter a wide open look. A really good example of the impact shooters can have on the game even if they're not shooting. Also, if Potter can consistently hit some threes moving forward, it could really be a game changer.
3. With the rotation cut to 7 for this game, I definitely think JC was using the first few games to give guys chances to prove themselves, and to see himself what he had on the roster. Have to think this is more-or-less what we'll see moving forward, adding Amir if/when he's ready to play, and probably a few minutes for Mezie (and maybe Javi). 

12/09/2019 11:21 am  #44

A few more thoughts from me as well:

1) I really can't overstate how well Jameer played in the first half.  He made some well needed baskets when Delaware looked like they were on their way to taking a huge first half lead.  His defense was sensational. 
2) Great early timeout by JC down 7-2 even with a media timeout coming up on the next whistle.  GW had already been beaten twice downcourt for easy Goss layups.   Hope he read them the riot act.
3) It looked like the gameplan was to not worry too much about Goss (who was their 5th leading scorer entering the game) but rather to limit their three point shooting opportunities.  Unlike many of GW's earlier opponents who simply were not very good three point shooting teams (helping GW to one of the best defensive 3 point FG percentage teams nationally) Delaware was 9-0 coming into this game largely due to their ability to hit from long distance. 
4) Related to point 3, it was likely a goal for AT not to get into foul trouble in this one.  He didn't and ended up playing 35 minutes.  Have to think the coaching staff wanted him to get his legs back which is why Jameson was assigned to guard Goss throughout most of the first half.  In the second half and not in any foul trouble, AT guarded Goss and I believe held him to 2 points and 1 or 2 rebounds.  
5) Juice Williams has gone from a virtual afterthought early in his GW career to a true energy guy and defensive nuisance able to guard guys about 6' 8" or shorter.  Give him plenty of applause on Senior Night.
6) Really interesting decision by JC/Devlin.  Jameer was taken out with about 5 minutes remaining and I assumed he was getting a breather until the under 4 minute timeout.  Only as it turned out, his day was done.  Juice stayed in to provide defensive intensity and Armel took over on the offensive end.  We were protecting a lead at this point and JC/Devlin decided that the size that AT/Battle/Jack possess was needed to match up with a fairly big Delaware lineup.  This likely wasn't the intent to begin with but with Armel taking over on one end and Juice firing up the team at the other end, it turned out to be a great coaching decision.
7) Agreeing with FQ on two points: a) the collective team energy did look a bit different than in past games.   Maybe it was having the realistic chance of knocking off an undefeated team.  Or maybe things are simply clicking today like they clearly weren't early on.  And b), am sorry but that poor guy simply forgot the words to the National Anthem, actually on two occasions.  It can obviously happen to anyone.  Thought he handled himself very well under the circumstances. 

Board footera