GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2019 10:15 pm  #1

ESPN Top 25 Players

I'm not sure if anyone saw the ESPN article today about the top 25 players in the country, but there were a couple familiar names on there.

​#22 - Luka Garza:  He was a big man out of Gonzaga who I remember us recruiting pretty heavily.  He went onto Iowa where he's developed in a great big man.

​#25 - Jordan Roland:  I think its amazing how wrong a lot of us were about him and the player he could turn into.  Its great to see how successful he's been so far in his senior year.  Always seemed like a real good kid.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28231997/ranking-top-25-players-college-basketball-one-month-2019-20-season

12/11/2019 10:56 pm  #2

Re: ESPN Top 25 Players

porter71 wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone saw the ESPN article today about the top 25 players in the country, but there were a couple familiar names on there.

​#22 - Luka Garza:  He was a big man out of Gonzaga who I remember us recruiting pretty heavily.  He went onto Iowa where he's developed in a great big man.

​#25 - Jordan Roland:  I think its amazing how wrong a lot of us were about him and the player he could turn into.  Its great to see how successful he's been so far in his senior year.  Always seemed like a real good kid.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28231997/ranking-top-25-players-college-basketball-one-month-2019-20-season

Garza played at Maret not Gonzaga.

12/12/2019 10:39 am  #3

That's right.  I got it confused with Chris Lykes who we were also recruiting at the time.  Lykes was out of Gonzaga.  That's for the correction.

12/12/2019 10:42 am  #4

I know there was some interest with Jordan Nwora (#2) when he regularly played against GW offer Stafford Trueheart for the regional #1 spot.  At that time Nwora was a tweener with lower than GW offers.  BTW, looked up Trueheart and he's had a totally unremarkable career at Hofstra.  We signed Marfo & Toro that year.

12/12/2019 3:18 pm  #5

There were some hints Jordan's freshman year when the team was loaded, but of course, nothing like this. Some big shots, including of course, the NIT.
It's a case of players actually coming along in their later years, as it should be. College is a learning experience and basketball should, at least in an ideal world, be the same way.
Jordan really developed and deserves plaudits. He showed real progress, 42 percent from the 3, third in the A-10. But Jordan was not used well his sophomore year under Mojo, particularly I recall at least the second half, leading to the transfer.
  To be fair, Jordan wouldn't have been the man, until at least his junior year, and would have certainly shared that with Yuta. Would have been a good combination. It would have been great to have his shooting the past 2 years when we were desperate. He wouldn't be here this year, in any case, but JC sure would love him.
  He always did seem like a good, polite kid, as porter71 noted.

12/12/2019 9:08 pm  #6

There was a big jump in Roland's game between his freshman and sophomore year.  He showed some flashes his freshman year, but he was primarily a spot up shooter.  I remember him making a few shots off the dribble which looked smooth, which made me think that he might have some more potential than just being a spot-up shooter (from what I've noticed, guys who can just spot-up shoot without any other main skill generally have to go down a level to become primary scorers). 

In an interview before Roland's sophomore year, ML said that Roland had made a big jump between his freshman and sophomore season, and it was obvious he had improved a considerable amount when the season started.  There were a few games where he was on fire, and he started to have some really nice drives to the rim (along with his shooting).  He wasn't consistently averaging double figures, but I thought he had a very bright future at GW.  I posted on the old forum that I thought he'd average in the high teens at Northeastern, but I didn't expect him to be this good.  

Last edited by CT Colonial (12/12/2019 9:09 pm)

Board footera