GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2019 4:27 pm  #1

2 years already?

Hard to believe it's only been 2 years since Patrick Nero was forced to resign.
I thought we would have made more progress since then but these situations take time.
After 2 years, I'm not sure TV is the right person to put us back on track.
My Christmas wish for this year is that we improve every year until we are back in the top 1/2 of the A-10, where we belong!

12/19/2019 5:33 pm  #2

Re: 2 years already?

What progress were we supposed to make? Tanya is absolutely the right person to lead this athletic department across the board. For a myopic concern about men’s basketball, look no further than the hiring of Jamion Christian and the staff and recruits he has brought here and has coming.

12/20/2019 2:32 pm  #3

I hope I'm wrong.
Others have posted plenty about the lack of any real "national" search for Mojo's replacement. I don't blame TV for that. I think it was out of necessity on who we could get and how much we could afford.
I'm just not as high on JC as you based on his track record at MSM and Siena. Winning the NEC Tourney and getting into the NCAA play-in game doesn't make one a qualified and competitive A-10 coach.
This debate can be put over until March of 2022 - after his 3rd year here. If we are back in the top half of the A-10 competing for at-large bids I will be very happy. If we are winning 10-15 games a year with a weak pre-conference schedule I will consider him a failure.
Recruiting cures all ills. If he can recruit, he will win. And I'm not talking about the 2 stars we are getting.

12/20/2019 3:30 pm  #4

Poog wrote:

What progress were we supposed to make? Tanya is absolutely the right person to lead this athletic department across the board. For a myopic concern about men’s basketball, look no further than the hiring of Jamion Christian and the staff and recruits he has brought here and has coming.

Poog, couldn't agree more.  Joel Joseph, we hit rock bottom with the "issues" of the previous administration.  I think your assessment in March 2022 is a good timetable to use, but I don't view success as solely being on-court performance. 

GW Athletics is a public ambassador for GW as a whole.  As a university, GW's brand has seen plenty of negative hits in recent years.  False data and being removed from US News & World Report's rankings and the University disowning their own Alumni Association, to name just a couple, are more on par with GW's basketball fiasco.  

I applaud the administration for bringing Tanya Vogel in and I believe in JC.  I'd love to put the past behind us and I look forward to chatting with you in 2022.  Until then, and at the risk of being seen as putting my head into the proverbial sand, let's all try to do our parts to support the program. 

Yeah, Raise High.

Barry

Board footera