Offline
Is anyone going tomorrow? Look forward to a good readout on our new additions and what we can expect this year!
Offline
Couldn’t go but anxious to hear how it was.
Offline

I’ll leave the X’s and O’s to other posters but my one word description of this year’s team is: SIZE
As for the result, let’s just say GW fans left today’s game happy 😉
Offline
GW0509 wrote:
I’ll leave the X’s and O’s to other posters but my one word description of this year’s team is: SIZE
As for the result, let’s just say GW fans left today’s game happy 😉
Nice. Anything or anyone stand out to you besides size?
Offline
The game had the feel of a Kenner Leafue game. Looks like we can rebound and score inside. And this was without 6’11” Vukovic who was out with an ankle injury. We did not shoot well from the 3 and turned the ball over too much. I was impressed with Witherspoon, Arceneaux and Dylan James. Looks like Frost will slide in easily to the Garrett Johnson role. If you liked Aranguren last season, you should like c him again this season . For you old timers, it was nice seeing and chatting with Brian Magid.
Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (Today 12:11 pm)
Offline

Alum1 wrote:
GW0509 wrote:
I’ll leave the X’s and O’s to other posters but my one word description of this year’s team is: SIZE
As for the result, let’s just say GW fans left today’s game happy 😉
Nice. Anything or anyone stand out to you besides size?
The worry about Jean being PG is overblown.
The freshman N’Landu looked confident. I’m sure he’ll make some freshman mistakes but he’ll be able to hold his own.
We were short on a bunch of 3s but we were able to get good shots. Nothing was really forced.
I think Dylan James is going to be very good. Not sure I would say he’ll be Castro 2.0 but I feel comfortable with him manning the paint.
Old friend Christian Jones was randomly in attendance. Wonder if Murray State is in town for a scrimmage of their own?
Offline
GW0509 wrote:
Alum1 wrote:
GW0509 wrote:
I’ll leave the X’s and O’s to other posters but my one word description of this year’s team is: SIZE
As for the result, let’s just say GW fans left today’s game happy 😉
Nice. Anything or anyone stand out to you besides size?The worry about Jean being PG is overblown.
The freshman N’Landu looked confident. I’m sure he’ll make some freshman mistakes but he’ll be able to hold his own.
We were short on a bunch of 3s but we were able to get good shots. Nothing was really forced.
I think Dylan James is going to be very good. Not sure I would say he’ll be Castro 2.0 but I feel comfortable with him manning the paint.
Old friend Christian Jones was randomly in attendance. Wonder if Murray State is in town for a scrimmage of their own?
Thanks for this. Was score kept? Did we win?
Offline
Until I actually saw a “secret” scrimmage, I didn’t fully appreciate how meaningless the score was. The game was 2 20 minute periods plus one 10 minute period score reset after each period. We won all 3 by a few points
Offline
Long Suffering Fan wrote:
Until I actually saw a “secret” scrimmage, I didn’t fully appreciate how meaningless the score was. The game was 2 20 minute periods plus one 10 minute period score reset after each period. We won all 3 by a few points
Ahhh….I see. No idea if Temple is any good, but sounds like we were more than comply.
Offline
I also thought N'Landu looked good and should be able to contribute this season. I was impressed by the team's length at every position. It was also really nice to see coach larranaga in attendance.
Offline
We appeared to be better than Temple. I don't recall Deng Manyang (Australia) being in the game, and I doubt very much that in a scrimmage, it would be a DNP-coaches decision. The other 2 who didn't play were Vukovic (ankle injury) and Aldan Shaw (who I believe was away at the court hearing in which he is one of the named plaintiffs seeking a 5th year of eligibility. He is definitely on GW's current roster and presumably practicing with the team, but will probably need a court decision to actually play in a game.
Offline
Thanks for the reports.
Temple is projected 184 by Torvik, so glad we seemed clearly better than them. Report pretty much sounds like what I’d except, especially in a first game - trouble with turnovers, not great outside shooting, but high major talent standing out.
Offline

Long Suffering Fan wrote:
We appeared to be better than Temple. I don't recall Deng Manyang (Australia) being in the game, and I doubt very much that in a scrimmage, it would be a DNP-coaches decision. The other 2 who didn't play were Vukovic (ankle injury) and Aldan Shaw (who I believe was away at the court hearing in which he is one of the named plaintiffs seeking a 5th year of eligibility. He is definitely on GW's current roster and presumably practicing with the team, but will probably need a court decision to actually play in a game.
Both Manyang and Shaw were in attendance but didn’t play. Shaw was wearing a uniform; Manyang wasn’t dressed and sat behind the bench. Manyang is also dealing with an ankle so it wasn’t a DNP-CD.
Agree that Shaw definitely is on the roster. He had a locker in the locker room.