GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2019 11:07 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Longwood Game Thread

6-6, not a bad recovery from a 1-4 start to the season.

12/28/2019 11:30 pm  #22

Did Toro get hurt? I didn’t see the game.

12/28/2019 11:56 pm  #23

Toro was hurt but also was ineffective In 1st half EAP offensively .  Ace was much better defender than Toro in this game which says a lot.  He is way too timid even going after rebounds- wondering if he is playing hurt to start with

12/28/2019 11:58 pm  #24

Yes, in the late first half, I think, Arnaldo started limping and actually called timeout when he had the ball.
Didn't get on the court again.
Hope it's not a big injury, but who knows.

12/29/2019 12:07 am  #25

Chase  did have a solid low post move.  Again consider the opposition.  But he did go strong to the hoop and scored with a foul.  Even with limited experience I think he is a better option than Javy although he may get pushed around by the larger A10 forwards.  Wish we had our old strength coach to put him in a Larsen type strength program

12/29/2019 12:28 am  #26

what do you think our best lineup is right now? The team has changed so much throughout the season. Case and point: Walker played damn near 40 minutes for a handful of games and didn’t see any action tonight. I think I’d go with:
1 - Potter
2 - Nelson
3 - Harris
4 - Battle (not feeling great about him defensively here)
5 - Toro (Ace is Toro hurt)

6th man - Jack

Last edited by Bmac3920 (12/29/2019 12:29 am)

12/29/2019 12:38 am  #27

In the last game against Harvard, Coach Christianson experimented with some four guard sets. If Toro is indeed hurt, don’t be surprised if we see a lineup of:
1 - Potter
2 - Nelson
3 - Jack
4 - Harris
5 - Battle

Not necessarily to start but to use for chunks of time. This actually could help hide Battles inefficiencies moving with other forwards/guards and just placing him under the hoop to try to change the angle of cutting guards shots. We did something similar with TyCav in his first year when Larsen would get into foul trouble.

12/29/2019 12:40 am  #28

Also, any word on Juice? Saw he was super banged up after Harvard and he got no minutes today.

Out with injury or possibly a concussion?

12/29/2019 7:16 am  #29

Juice was not dressed yesterday, but he was on the bench with the team.

12/29/2019 11:23 am  #30

I’d start Jack and bring in Harris and Stallings in pretty early as energy boost.  If you recall, Pinnock (in attendance at the Longwood game) and Garino also sometimes came off the bench, but played starter minutes.

12/29/2019 12:30 pm  #31

Harris is an immediate start. Toro keeps his position with Stallings off the bench. I like Jack and his leadership, decent size as well. Not sure if Battle is quite there defensively.

1. Armel
2. Nelson
3. Jack
4. Harris
5. Toro

Subs:
Battle
Stallings
Juice
Paar - loved his post moves!!

Just haven’t seen Langarica earn minutes - looks lost on both ends especially defensively - ala Kevin Marfo.

I’m not sure what happened with Mezzie. The last I saw him he was guarding the other team’s 2 guard (maybe the American game?)  and getting smoked. Was a weird position for him, and then he’s just stopped playing.  Thought he could play the 3 or 4 but Harris has stepped into that big time.

12/29/2019 2:10 pm  #32

Adclub - completely agree. Harris should be an immediate start. He didn’t post the scoring numbers like Jack but almost had a double double playing about half of the game and filled up the state sheet. Led the game in rebounding. When he was in the game he looked like the best all-around player on the floor and reminded me, oh yeah, he was getting 20 minutes a game as a freshman against Michigan State and Michigan last year.

Langarica just looks over matched this year and like he’s being asked to play a different role than last year. When he is asked to play the stretch 4 he has been more effective but Battle and now Harris have taken away all his minutes there. When asked to set in for Toro and play the 5 he is flat out a liability and now Paar and Ace have shown they are much more effective. I feel for him because he played a ton of minutes last year. And also that team won 9 games.

12/29/2019 8:48 pm  #33

The best news about the Longwood game was the play of Amir Harris. He took control of the game in both halves; in fact, his first shot was a three pointer that ignited a 21-0 run. In the 2nd half he was the main point guard and he really look for his teammates first. He is also sneaky on defense. Amir reminds me of Simmons of the 76ers in style of play. Let's hope he can stay healthy!

Board footera