GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2020 2:51 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Duquesne Thread

Didn't see anyone mentioning that Hunter Dean was already at the game sitting on the bench with the rest of the polo & khaki crew.

1/14/2020 7:03 pm  #42

BM wrote:

Didn't see anyone mentioning that Hunter Dean was already at the game sitting on the bench with the rest of the polo & khaki crew.

I DID see that on the broadcast.  Hopefully that means he will be eligible the second half of next year.

1/14/2020 9:44 pm  #43

The thing with rebounding I haven’t really seen addressed on the board is the pulling the rebounders back to half court on our free throws. I’ve never seen that move anywhere. Why give us a 0 percent chance to get the board?

Has anyone seen an explanation for that?

1/15/2020 10:17 am  #44

Bmac3920 wrote:

The thing with rebounding I haven’t really seen addressed on the board is the pulling the rebounders back to half court on our free throws. I’ve never seen that move anywhere. Why give us a 0 percent chance to get the board?

Has anyone seen an explanation for that?

Offensive rebounding is simply a low priority for JC.  In the case of a missed free throw, there are 2 bad outcomes (the defense grabs the rebound which is highly probable) or the offense fouls, vs. 1 good outcome (the defense gets back and prevents a fast break).  Many of this team's offensive rebounds come in the form of long rebounds off of missed outside shots (or solely from AT early on when he was playing like a man possessed.).  One question is whether this team will ever press off of a made free throw (by press, I mean more than a token man-to-man full court jog).  If so, I wouldn't think you would want to bring all 4 players so far back.  But, it's not been an issue because we really haven't done this for the most part.  (Interestingly, there was a bit of this in the opening loss at Towson, when trying to get back into the game, but very little since.)

1/15/2020 10:28 am  #45

My theory on pulling all 4 players back when we shoot a free throw is we are too slow as a tea, to get back on defense.  I would still like for us to have 2 players on the arc and give us a chance for a put back after a miss, even if the odds are not great.   I believe that lack of team speed is a major issue for us that we rarely discuss, which is another reason that a zone on occasion would be helpful, although the addition of Amir Harris has helped a bit in this area.   

Board footera