GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2020 8:54 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Mason Thread

FREE THROWS!  Wonderful

1/15/2020 8:55 pm  #22

I think Nelson is trying to throw game. He's a freshman but man, he has really BAD judgement.

1/15/2020 8:57 pm  #23

Bench has produced.

1/15/2020 9:01 pm  #24

Whew! Finally a win. Feels good.

1/15/2020 9:02 pm  #25

Brilliant game, really fun stuff,

Armel and Jamison, tremendous stuff 41 points combined on just 24 shot attempts

1/15/2020 9:10 pm  #26

JNJr sure looked like a frosh in the last 3 mins. But in a change of the season narrative no late fade tonight. Shooting was great, including three point shooting, so that was a big factor. And that bucket inside to Paar to seal the deal was both awsome and uncharacteristic of this team. Still will be a struggle to skip the play-in round of the A10 Tourney, but a nice win.

1/15/2020 10:12 pm  #27

Potter was fabulous. 26 points,6 rebounds,7 assists. When was the last time a GW player had a line like this. Potters game makes the team competitive. He makes mistakes but no else drives, dishes, use the backboard and consistently makes his teammates better. I love Battle. He will be the foundation for the program for years to come. But this year, IMO , Potter is the MVP of the team. If he played in the first five games any significant minutes he would be one of the nations leading assist players. Tonight, he carried the team.

1/15/2020 10:24 pm  #28

he sure is a lot of fun to watch!

1/15/2020 10:28 pm  #29

Props to Chase Paar as well, he was great tonight, excellent contributions 

Nice Minutes from Mezie and Shawn in addition

1/15/2020 11:06 pm  #30

The Dude wrote:

Nice Minutes from Mezie and Shawn in addition

That's an understatement.  With a short bench and foul trouble, Those two came in and scored ten points during a key stretch of the second half, played solid defense, added energy, and actually helped extend the lead.  With Ace, absolutely critical minutes off the bench that were a key to the victory--minutes that many of us wondered whether we had.  And to to top it off--Mezzie's pic was on tonight's ticket.   .     

1/15/2020 11:59 pm  #31

Agreed!

those guys were really solid, big contributions from all of them!

1/16/2020 9:52 am  #32

With Toro and Harris our, and Battle and Paar in early foul trouble, I thought we were done. 

But Mezzie, Swawn Walker, and Ace all stepped up and gave us productive minutes.  I thought the play of those three was the story of the game and the difference between winning and losing. 

The difference in how hard and consistently we are playing between early in the year and now is remarkable.  The team has strung together hard fought, 40 minute efforts for a few games now.  They are undermanned, but they are really competing hard now.   If Maceo could rediscover his game and we can ever get healthy, then we will take yet another step forward.

1/16/2020 10:01 am  #33

Agree on Mezie (note: spelled with one z), and hope he can see some more minutes. His athleticism is off the charts, and he's turned into a great defender, though he did have one play where he lost his man and allowed a three in the corner. I assume offense is why he's not seeing the court more. He seems to not want to do anything with the ball from the outside. Ironic because I always thought last year, it was his defense that kept him off the court. This year it's reversed. As we've been saying for a year and half now, really think he has a very high ceiling and hope he finds a way to put it together here, and not transfer after the year.

1/16/2020 10:07 am  #34

I should have mentioned Paar too.  He didn’t come off the bench like Mezie, Walker, and Stallinfs, but with Toeo our, he had to play 29 minutes and he played very well.   Really great to see a freshman big develop.  He even put it on the floor and scored over his man once, which is the first time I remember seeing that.

1/16/2020 10:08 am  #35

With all due respect to Mezie, Shawn and Ace who each provided important contributions off the bench, the story of this game was Armel Potter who scored 17 of his 26 points over the game's final 12 minutes while grabbing 6 rebounds and handing out 7 assists for the game.  He may not be the dependable decision-maker that you'd like a point guard to be but his poor decisions are almost always the result of his trying to do too much with the ball.  Nevertheless, last night's performance had a "refuse to lose" aura to it.  I don't want to take away from what was a great team performance.  Chase is proving to be a more than serviceable option down low.  Jamison helped break the game open with three 3 pointers within about a 2 minute period early in the second half.  Mezie and Shawn gave us plays on both ends of the court.    All told, a really well-deserved victory.  Am very happy for these guys.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (1/16/2020 10:10 am)

1/16/2020 10:41 am  #36

Correct me if I'm wrong but was there a big poster of Michael Strahan being held up by a student assistant behind the bench while GW was on D?  Anyone know what the deal is with that?

1/16/2020 12:32 pm  #37

The Ross-Man! wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but was there a big poster of Michael Strahan being held up by a student assistant behind the bench while GW was on D?  Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Strahan has a gap in his teeth. It's a reminder of the importance of gap defense in man lol.

1/16/2020 12:42 pm  #38

It was a good win for the team. Again, this is about process not result at this point and if you are going to say that after losses you need to say that after wins too. This team is improving before our eyes. That is the most important thing right now because as it continues to improve the results will follow. Winning a rivalry game without 2 of your top 7-8 is huge. I agree with those who say Mezie, Shawn and Ace were the difference. As great as Armel played, we don't win unless we get those minutes off the bench form those guys.

On a separate note, this win was good news for a couple of our drive by posters lamenting things past. JC is now also undefeated as GW HC against George Mason.

1/16/2020 1:30 pm  #39

Armel Potter was absolutely brilliant last night no doubt about it

1/17/2020 1:28 am  #40

My 4 keys to the GW win over George Mason:

1.    In the first half, Mason went up by 5 and looked like they were getting ready to open things up, when we got extremely hot from the 3.   Battle hit 3 in  a row, Jack made his one shot and I believe Walker hit one during that stretch.  For the half, we had an extremely high percentage of 3 point shots made (over 50%).    

2.    When Mason again looked like they were getting back in the game in the second half, we had about a 5 -7 minute stretch where we played as good as defense as we played all season, preventing them from catching us.

3     We were able to open things up to a double digit lead led by Potter, who likewise became hot in the 2nd half.

4.    Throughout the game, we got incredible contributions from the 3 bench players (Stallings, Mezie and Walker, who shot a combined 5-5 from the field, 1-1 from the 3 and 4-4 from the line.     In fact, the starters were only okay.  Battle did hit  5 of the 8 3 point shots he took and Potter was hot in the second half, but while his game was solid,  he was hardly spectacular  He wasn't particularly good at stopping Mason's penetration, he had 5 turnovers, numerous sloppy passes and missed more shots than he made.  Yes, his second half was incredible and he had 7 assists and  6 rebounds.  As for the other starters, Nelson shot 3-9, Jack was invisible and Paar was decent with his 7 points and 9 rebounds, but is slow of foot, not a good defender and has hard hands (I know he is a freshman and will grow out of most of this).,   We really were bailed out by the bench.   I still don't understand why Mezie never gets into the game unless 4 other players are injured, as the kid seems to play hard and have talent.   Shawn Walker went from no minutes, to starting and playing most of the game, back to no minutes.    As for Ace, he is what he is...a nice player for 7-10 minutes per game.   Yes, this is a game that earlier on I don't think we win, but it was still a win over a mid 100s team at home....hardly a signature win, but hopefully a nice building block.

Board footera