GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2020 9:22 am  #1

Random question

Some time ago, we recruited a player based on recommendations, without ever having seen the player play.  Anyone remember who that was or who was the coach?

1/17/2020 10:55 am  #2

Re: Random question

LSF, there are a few that kinda sorta fall under this category.  The one I'm guessing you're thinking of is Matt Albritton, the alleged sharpshooter who did not pan out.  Greg Collucci was an assistant who did see him play and Hobbs instructed him to offer a scholarship without he (Hobbs) ever having seen him play personally.  This was during the "Hobbs is acting petulant as a result of being thrown under the bus and having his recruiting subsequently hamstrung" period.  Nemanja Mikic prepped in Charlotte and was not really recruited by the Hobbs staff.  They may have gone down to see him play late in the game.  Finally, Javier really came about from a tip which matched with MoJo realizing he had a vacant spot.  MoJo did go to Spain to meet him but I'm unsure whether there were actually any H.S. games to watch since this happened well past the end of h.s. basketball season (at least in the U.S.)

1/17/2020 11:08 am  #3

Thank you Mayhem.    It was Matt Albritton who I could not recall.

1/17/2020 1:42 pm  #4

Actually, that was the same story about Javi Langarica, no?  The coaching staff allegedly watched some videos and had a skype session with him, and that was it.  But that's also just a story I heard about how we wound up with a kid late in the game with no serious D1 interest, and it might not be true. 

1/17/2020 2:07 pm  #5

The story about Javi being offered over Skype has been told on the board since he signed. No idea if it's true or not. Javi is honestly not a bad find by MoJo and staff considering when and where they found him. Consider that we had to beat out higher level programs for someone like Matt Cimino, and signed Collin Goss before his senior HS season even started. Sometimes recruiting is just a crapshoot. 

1/17/2020 5:34 pm  #6

Matt Albritton, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. 

Matt Ciminio - Had so much hope for that kid when he signed the weekend we got into the tourney in '14. Too bad it didn't pan out. 

Board footera