GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2020 3:36 pm  #61

Re: GW vs Davidson Game Thread

Just to clarify a couple of things brought up in this thread:
As per Byron Kerr during the broadcast last night, the last time GW played a 4OT game was in 1968, which even for my advanced age is before I was born (although a really old fart like LSF was probably already a junior partner at that point!). Then again, the Chiefs are in the Super Bowl, so things that have not happened in a long time are happening again.
GW had 5 time outs left with about two mins to play in overtime number 4. Cristian had many opportunities to use them in earlier overtimes, but passed on it, trusting Amir and JNJr to run plays without a huddle at the end of each period. An interesting choice given that they have combined played fewer than 40 games in GW uniforms.
There were, seemingly, fewer students there as the game went on, and it seemed that 90% of the student attendance was comprised of the band, cheerleaders and the swim team. Say what? I remember the 1-27 season, as the lone win progressed the crowd in the student section swelled. You would think that students there would tell their pals in the dorms and frat houses that something special was going on and to get their butts over there. Or maybe they took off because the game was going to end after last call?

1/30/2020 3:54 pm  #62

I do understand the rationale behind JC not using his timeouts.  My point was not to degree with this in principle but rather point out that i felt these were extenuating circumstances.  Three players played 50+ minutes with two playing practically the whole game.  Given how much time Amir missed with a meniscus injury and the fact that he played over 40 minutes should I would think be concerning.  It obviously worked out since we won the game and certainly, JC should know what his players are capable of enduring far better than any of us.  In short, even though JC did not want to give Davidson the chance to take a breather, at the same time, it did look like GW could have used a breather or two during the overtimes (beyond the TO's that McKillop used).

It would make me happy if The Washington Post wasn't mentioned here again.  A local team playing in a top 10 conference really ought to be covered by their local newspaper.  Aside from the very occasional Feinstein column, this program will only be covered when it becomes an NCAA tournament team (or a contender for an at-large).  There is Maryland, Georgetown, and then "local" schools UVA and Virginia Tech, followed by everyone else in the area.  The Post can't assign a beat writer to cover road games due to budgetary considerations?  I can even accept that.  The Post can't assign a beat writer to cover its home games?  Entirely inexcusable.

1/30/2020 4:14 pm  #63

I’d be much happier with a Hatchet writer as good as Elizabeth Traynor.  Im not that interested in the Post unless Mason got heavy coverage for no reason.

1/30/2020 4:41 pm  #64

What a game, what a win! one for the ages!

1/30/2020 8:28 pm  #65

Certainly one of the best games (and well-played) that I have ever attended.  Not much to add here except one key emotional factor.--the players were loving every minute of this game!

Especially late and in all of the overtimes--when GW was at the foul line, they don't line anyone or just one player to rebound in the lane.  The four and five guys would gather at mid court and their faces were expressions of joy, energy,, and intensity--all wrapped up in one.  All of them wanted to be there and you saw a unity that rarely saw under Mojo. 

Some may think it's corny, but Coach Christian has preached love and playing for one another and just simply getting better each and every day.  We still have a long way to go, but we that love and improvement was on display last night--and it was great to watch.  We can use more of that!

1/30/2020 9:01 pm  #66

Merrick wrote:

Certainly one of the best games (and well-played) that I have ever attended.  Not much to add here except one key emotional factor.--the players were loving every minute of this game!

Especially late and in all of the overtimes--when GW was at the foul line, they don't line anyone or just one player to rebound in the lane.  The four and five guys would gather at mid court and their faces were expressions of joy, energy,, and intensity--all wrapped up in one.  All of them wanted to be there and you saw a unity that rarely saw under Mojo. 

Some may think it's corny, but Coach Christian has preached love and playing for one another and just simply getting better each and every day.  We still have a long way to go, but we that love and improvement was on display last night--and it was great to watch.  We can use more of that!

Why is it that nobody lines up?  Isn't it worth the chance of getting a defensive rebound every now and then, especially given the team's FT issues?

1/31/2020 10:01 am  #67

The Ross-Man! wrote:

Merrick wrote:

Why is it that nobody lines up?  Isn't it worth the chance of getting a defensive rebound every now and then, especially given the team's FT issues?

Not sure that we have free throw issues as a team. We are shooting.726 as a team. 5th best in A-10.

1/31/2020 11:32 am  #68

So wiser heads than mine, why do you pull your players off the line. - To conserve energy? Or to protect players from getting a foul rebounding, or to be in a better defensive position?  Probably other reasons that I can't think of.    Who was it that did that all the time - Chaney at Temple?  

1/31/2020 11:41 am  #69

BC wrote:

So wiser heads than mine, why do you pull your players off the line. - To conserve energy? Or to protect players from getting a foul rebounding, or to be in a better defensive position?  Probably other reasons that I can't think of.    Who was it that did that all the time - Chaney at Temple?  

It's all of the above. JC I'm sure has the actual numbers to prove it, but the small chance of getting an offensive rebound is not worth the risk of allowing the other team to get out in transition off of a miss or the risk of someone picking up a foul. Conserving energy is also a small bonus. Doing some brief research, about 15% of rebounds off free throws are by the offense. If about 30% of free throws are missed, that means that about 5% of any free throw results in an offensive rebound. So there's really not much to gain from trying to get an offensive rebound on free throws.

Last edited by Hugh (1/31/2020 1:25 pm)

Board footera