GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2020 2:59 am  #1

Obi Toppin National Player of The Year?

Does Obi Toppin win National Player of The Year?

Yes?

If not, then who?

2/09/2020 9:28 am  #2

Re: Obi Toppin National Player of The Year?

The kid from Iowa?  Luke Garza   pts: 23.1 reb 9.9  ast 1.0 FG% 55.3
Toppin:                                             pts: 19.6 reb 7.8  ast  2.2  FG% 62.6
Probably others as well.    Let March Madness and April Fools decide.

Last edited by BC (2/09/2020 3:02 pm)

2/09/2020 2:02 pm  #3

Toppin is scoring 20 points a game shooting over 70% inside the three

2/09/2020 3:02 pm  #4

sorry - bad typist Tobin - should have been Toppin

Last edited by BC (2/09/2020 3:02 pm)

2/09/2020 3:16 pm  #5

Garza is definitely a candidate as well.

Who are the other top choices?

2/09/2020 3:16 pm  #6

Myles Powell and Markus Howard?

2/09/2020 3:55 pm  #7

and Prtichard and .....  lots of possibilities, but I think it likely he'll be a power 5 player.

2/09/2020 10:14 pm  #8

BC, I haven't followed as closely as in past years.   Who are considered to be the leading Power 5 choices?

Doesn't this year feel like Obi Toppin carrying a non Power 5 to a #1 seed (and a super high NBA pick) leads to the POY?

Cole Anthony got hurt, not sure about Vernon Carey's chances, Gonzaga doesnt really have one guy, can't think of any obvious choices other than Obi and Garza but seems like Obi would beat out Garza. 

2/10/2020 11:16 am  #9

Not sure why Obi would beat out Graza.  But I'm not a good judge, since I don't follow teams other than GW.  I do watch PAC 12 since I am on the west coast, and Pritchard is mentioned a lot.  Personally, I think he and Oregon are overrated.   I just think that the $$$ in the power 5 conferences buy a lot of votes.  Just being cynical. 

2/11/2020 5:31 pm  #10

Dayton is heading for a #1 NCAA tourney see, Obi is a top 3 pick in the NBA draft, carrying an A10 team to a #1 seed.  That's the kind of storyline that has led to National POY winners  

Dayton is 21-1

Iowa is 17-7.

Last edited by The Dude (2/11/2020 6:22 pm)

2/11/2020 9:37 pm  #11

2/12/2020 3:58 am  #12

22 points and 10 boards on 7-9 shooting tonight from Obi.

Took and made a 3, threw down a monster windmill dunk.  Against the 2nd best team in the league, Dayton is a juggernaut and Obi is National POY bound.

Those are the kind of games that cement your POY award.  

2/12/2020 8:10 am  #13

He’s the MVP. Without him sweet 16 is the ceiling. With they really could go to the Final 4. He’s a Super Star. I still think the Wichita State team that lost to Kentucky was the best non power 5 team I’ve seen for overall talent.

2/12/2020 11:29 am  #14

I think it will come down to Myles Powell and Obi Toppin, if Seton Hall ends up as a 2 or 3 seed, they'll give it to Powell because he plays in the Big East. Luka Garza may be the most impressive player this year, but Iowa is going to finish in the middle-of-the-pack in the Big 10, so that will eliminate him from National P.O.Y discussion, but he should easily win the Big 10 Player of the Year. This year's crop of highly touted freshman are on average teams(Anthony Edwards-Georgia, the 2 guys on Washington, Cole Anthony), they are playing secondary roles on top ranked teams(Kentucky and Duke's freshmen) or they stopped playing(James Wiseman), so none of them are in the discussion. 

2/12/2020 12:05 pm  #15

Obi is certainly a contender for national POY but is far from a lock at this point.  If you look at the guys who have won the Naismith from outside the major conferences, you'd find the following:

Larry Bird...Undefeated team until the national championship game loss
David Robinson...30 win team that lost in a Regional Final.  Plus, the Navy affiliation was regarded as once-in-a-lifetime for a player of this caliber
Lionel Simmons..A 30-2 record for La Salle (pre-A10) plus an insanely high scoring average
Larry Johnson..Unbeaten until they lost in the Final 4
Marcus Camby..35-2, lost in the final 4.  Say, who was that other loss against?
Kenyon Martin..Two loss team until Kenyon broke his leg in the Conference USA tournament.
Jameer Nelson. Undefeated regular season; #1 seed, lost in regional final
Andrew Bogut..The anomaly in the group in that his team lost 6 games, he wasn't a dominant scorer, and "only" reached the Sweet 16 before losing
Jimmer Fredette...8 loss team but a very dominant scorer

The common denominators seem to be that you must either lead your team very far in the tournament (the voting does not begin until the second week of the Dance and concludes right before the Final 4) or you must be a great scorer.  Should Dayton have one of those seasons where they go something like 31-3 and then fail to reach the Sweet 16, this would not bode well for Obi, as harsh as this may be.  

Markus Howard is averaging over 27 points a game (granted on just 41.3% shooting) and has led a major program to a 17-6 record thus far.  Luka is averaging nearly 3 1/2 points more per game and grabbing two more rebounds per game than Obi, against better competition.  At 17-7, Iowa is strong enough for Luka to win it.

This should be a very tight race which is far from over.

2/12/2020 6:15 pm  #16

Obi Toppin is actually the kind of season that vaults guys to POY. Like Jameer Nelson and Marcus Camby. All 3 got a ton of national attention.

I root for Seton Hall, but less sure about Myles Powell or Markus Howard chances, they feel like there's less hoopla around them.

Toppin with his NBA top of draft status ala Camby I think is going to win! 

Any candidates we're missing? in 25 years I've never been able to less follow college hoops as has been the case  this season sadly! 

2/12/2020 9:00 pm  #17

Toppin paying you for all the cheer-leading? 

2/13/2020 1:08 am  #18

Lighten up Bob, just generating a little enthusiasm, nice to see the A10 rising up.  

As they say, "A Rising Obi Lifts All Boats"   ;)  

2/13/2020 8:49 am  #19

Toppin and Dayton are really fun to watch. Looking forward to rooting for them in the NCAAs.

2/13/2020 9:21 am  #20

In my opinion, to state and restate the same points over and over again constitutes a bit more than "generating a little enthusiasm."  I'd say you know full well what you're doing, and I'll leave it at that.

Board footera