GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2020 6:25 pm  #1

Did we ever have a real shot at landing Luke Garza?

Curious since he's up for POY honors. I know we offered per source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2016/02/25/marets-luka-garza-keeps-family-basketball-tradition-going/

Last edited by fungerhall (2/11/2020 6:26 pm)

2/12/2020 9:17 am  #2

Re: Did we ever have a real shot at landing Luke Garza?

Don't remember the details myself, but Verbal Commits jogged my memory.  We were his first offer in 2014 and most of his other offers were beatable into early 2016.  Iowa came in early as well in mid-2015 and seemed to be on him hard.   They held on when he blew up in the 2016 summer circuit with TTO.  Answer is that we had a chance at one point, but it would've called for him wanting to stay close to home, which he obviously didn't.  IIRC, his dad was involved and it looks like they managed his recruitment very well.

2/12/2020 9:53 am  #3

The short answer is we had a very small chance to begin with that was extinguished entirely when Lonergan was removed.

2/12/2020 11:41 am  #4

I guess you could say GW had a legit shot at landing him at some point, because GW was the highest profile local school recruiting him, according to the verbal commits link that BM posted, Maryland and Georgetown were nowhere to be found on that list. Now that GW has an assistant with Team Takeover ties, GW will have a better shot at landing a talented player like Garza who gets overlooked by Georgetown and Maryland. 

2/12/2020 11:47 am  #5

Thomas wrote:

I guess you could say GW had a legit shot at landing him at some point, because GW was the highest profile local school recruiting him, according to the verbal commits link that BM posted, Maryland and Georgetown were nowhere to be found on that list. Now that GW has an assistant with Team Takeover ties, GW will have a better shot at landing a talented player like Garza who gets overlooked by Georgetown and Maryland. 

Georgetown is on the list and did offer.

2/12/2020 12:05 pm  #6

GWRising wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Georgetown is on the list and did offer.

Yeah, you're right, I didn't scroll down far enough to see Georgetown. 

2/12/2020 12:32 pm  #7

Don't think he wanted to stay in the area.  Some college age kids are that way.  It's not just basketball

2/12/2020 4:37 pm  #8

BM wrote:

Don't think he wanted to stay in the area.  Some college age kids are that way.  It's not just basketball

It's a Bethesda thing..... it drives kids to the sticks

2/13/2020 5:04 pm  #9

Article on the recruitment of Wooden Award finalists Luka Garza and Obi Toppin.

2/13/2020 6:44 pm  #10

I thought ML had him on campus.  Maybe I am mis-remembering.

2/13/2020 8:23 pm  #11

I believe we were his first offer and I may recall his dad tweeting something like “we won’t forget this”.

2/14/2020 11:26 am  #12

BM wrote:

I believe we were his first offer and I may recall his dad tweeting something like “we won’t forget this”.

Narrator: They forgot this.

In all fairness, even if the Post story never came out and we were riding high after the NITs, I think there were enough high major programs after Garza that the chances he would've picked GW were slim.

Board footera