GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2020 10:55 pm  #61

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game Thread

We were finished without Potter! No question about it.
I doubt we would have even beaten Fordham without Potter.

2/20/2020 12:14 am  #62

Greetings from Atlantic City, where I am counting my winnings from the GW win.  Very impressive going on the road and ambushing a solid Duquesne team.  Talk about your classic "trap" game for the Dukes.   I was impressed with how we got off the mat after going down early and fought back to take a lead at halftime, then how we took control of the game during the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half.  During those near disasterous last  5 minutes, it would have been nice to have  ball handler to sub in for Battle, as he repeatedly turned it over.  This is where having Amir Harris out may have hurt us.   A win vs Lasalle this weekend (as mentioned by Free on another thread) brining us to 500 would be very nice.    3 conference road wins is likewise impressive...I didn't think we would get 3 conference wins for the season.    

2/20/2020 12:15 am  #63

RobSmithoasas wrote:

We didn't beat Fordham.  But I fully agree on what Potter means to this team.  He has gone from an after thought to possibly being named on an all conference team.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/20/2020 12:17 am)

2/20/2020 5:37 am  #64

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

RobSmithoasas wrote:

We didn't beat Fordham.  But I fully agree on what Potter means to this team.  He has gone from an after thought to possibly being named on an all conference team.

LSF, I meant without Potter's return we were in free fall and probably wouldn't even beat Fordham in our return match in DC. The Colonial season would have been over without Potter. He really distributes the ball well, setting up those that can score. That red shirt senior is irreplaceable!

2/20/2020 7:52 am  #65

Right you are Rob. I hope he gets 1 POY vote thereby igniting a sports ground hog. POY is it MVP or best player? I don’t mind best player winning as long as the other MVPs are acknowledged.

2/20/2020 8:04 am  #66

Toro confounded Casey on the last Duq possession. Casey was thinking instead of taking Toro off the dribble. Fine By Me! Was that by design on GW’s part or just the way in worked out.

I as very impressed that we rebounded so well. The announcers were odd but I loved the point that it’s what rebound you get not the overall number.

Missed free throws don’t bug me bc the % has been declining across the sport for a long time it seems. It’s turnovers that make me nuts bc 17 turnovers mean many are careless or points to a talent disparity.

You want proof non pros do unexpected things? All those Duq attempted 3s when they should have feed the post, kick out out or - gasp - gone high low or am I missing something?

2/20/2020 10:58 am  #67

Not a bad game by our third string center.  16 points and 14 rebounds in 33 minutes.  With all due respect to Chase and Ace, this is what this team needs right now to win.  Chase's development in particular is important; however, it is not imperative that he receives the lions share of minutes right now.  Jordan Roland and Maureece Rice are two examples of guys who played sparingly as freshmen but who went on to have highly productive college careers.  To characterize AT as a guy who should be giving this team 10-15 minutes, which is more than he had been receiving during a recent stretch of games, is still vastly underselling AT's value.  

I'm beginning to think that Maceo read my "proposal" about him several weeks ago because he has been a different player ever since.  Maceo missed his first 3 last night but followed that up with a dunk.  He missed his next 3 but then make a pair of shots in the paint.  Six points, all on 2 point baskets, carries the psychological benefit of shooting the ball through the hoop.  Maceo ended up making 4 of his last 6 three point attempts on the night.  He also grabbed 5 boards to go along with those 20 points.  Very, very active in this game, not at all content to camp out behind the arc and wait for the ball to come to him.

Over the summer, I suggested that Armel would be the player to take the biggest leap on this team.  I honestly could never have imagined this.

I would pay good money to see Meer's end-of-season highlight reel.  There are still a fair share of frustrations but he has an incredible knack for the spectacular.

Three more 3's for Jamison.  Sometimes, he has to make sure he isn't a few steps from halfcourt before launching.  His range really does appear to be unlimited and his shooting touch can not be taught.

Duquense's win over GW in January saw the team shoot 9-19 from 3.  Last night, GW shot 9-20 while the Dukes shot a measly 5-24.  In January, Duquesne won the boards 37-31; last night, GW had a 41-34 advantage.  

Perhaps the most important stat of the night was that the Dukes advantage in turnover differential (17 for GW vs. 7 for Duquesne) only resulted in a 1 point difference in points off of turnovers, 15-14.  This means that GW took great advantage of Duquesne's miscues while also doing a great job at defending immediately after a turnover (except for that miserable late-game stretch where the press could not be contained).

2/20/2020 11:15 am  #68

completely Agre with you  on Potter, RobSmith.  Just teasing you a bit re: Fordham.   Potter was clearly not in Christian’ s plans at the start of the season, as the coach seemed  to want to purge all players he did not recruit other than Maceo.   Again, Potter should make an all conference team.   I cannot imagine there are 15 better players in the A-10.

2/20/2020 12:17 pm  #69

I guess a lot of practice needs to be done on facing a press. That's why I never relax till the final buzzer. Can't forget the meltdown against Fairfield or the NCAA Iowa game. The latter especially. However, the comeback against UNC Wilmington (NCAA) kind of made up for it.  

2/20/2020 12:18 pm  #70

We have some really myopic fans here. There is this constant thread that everything falls on the coach ... If only the coach played Toro ... if only he saw that Armel could play sooner ...if only I could coach lol. The simple fact here is you have a new coach who is learning his players - especially the ones that he didn't recruit. He also was given the charge to fix a program that had won just 9 games with many of these same players. Further, if he were to look back at last year, he had no recent book on Toro and frankly Mojo didn't play Potter a whole lot. 

Players have to earn trust in the eyes of a coach. That can be earned in a variety of ways but mostly it is earned by showing up, doing what the coach asks and then performing on game day. Further, a coach can only go off what he sees with his own two eyes mainly at practice and during games.

It is quite possible that the bench served as a great motivator for both Potter and Toro. It is not a given that if only JC had recognized their talents earlier all would have been better. In the case of Toro, there is no doubt that injuries and illness have played a huge role in his minutes and performance thus far. It would not be so ridiculous for JC to think that well Toro can't stay healthy so I just have to move to the future because when we are ready to win it's going to be Paar who will be here anyway.

That said, clearly Paar and Ace have struggled the last two games. So it was Toro time and to his credit he has responded well, especially last night. If we can have this Toro for the remainder of the season on a consistent basis (something we have not had) then I am sure you will see his role continue to expand. JC is definitely not an idiot especially when Paar and Ace are not getting it done. Again, there seems to be this theme that JC favors his guys over reason/logic. JC is like any other coach. He will put the guys out there who he thinks can help him build his program. And that can change from game to game or within games. Doesn't matter who they are or who recruited them.

Last edited by GWRising (2/20/2020 12:20 pm)

2/20/2020 1:07 pm  #71

Does anyone thing that maybe - just maybe - Toro was eased back in over a longer period of time due to more extensive injuries than we were aware?  I sat in the Colonials Club and heard that he was fine too, but I think he was hurt, and he has worked his way back into playing shape.  Same thing happened with Potter.  Hopefully we will see the return of the other injured players as well.

2/20/2020 2:34 pm  #72

Wait. What? So it is OK for a coach to lie to folks in the Colonials Club and lie about a player's condition? I hope not. That doesn't mean a coach has to reveal all details of the team or a player, but it isn't fair to players or fans to outright lie and say a player is fine when he has an injury. But if we have coaches who lie at Colonials Club, let's just not invite coaches to Colonials Club. Once again, there are plenty of ways for a coach to answer the questions without lying. It would be the same if we had reporters from the Hatchet -- or even the Washington Post -- covering us and asking questions of the coach. I would not want a GW coach lying to the press, fans or players.
Finally, we all know--
1) Toro was struggling and was injured.
2) We wouldn't have won against Davidson or last night without Toro playing as well as he did.
3) Toro has proven he deserves more playing time.
4) How many games we win two or three years from now compared to how many we win this season is much more important to JC's career as a coach -- and I hope GW fans.
 What we don't know is how much the injury affected Toro's ability.  
What I hope we all want is GW off the bottom of the A-10, not as just a middle of the pack team, but competing for the A-10 championship. That means this season is about developing the freshmen, recruiting for future teams and, maybe, just maybe, beginning to develop a winning atmosphere.
Thanks for reading. Drive home safely....  better yet, take public transportation.

2/20/2020 3:32 pm  #73

Thrilled with two wins in a row, and it absolutely should be three on Saturday.
Turns out winning feels good, and is actually good for morale, recruiting, and even us lowly fans who support the program.
But that doesn't mean you have to be blind to really odd player rotations this season. Some of us have been calling for Toro to play more (he could have hardly played less) for a long time. Frankly, it is and was bizarre and disturbing judgment from a young coach who has a lot of promise.
It sure seems like JC is favoring his recruits, including those from Mojo whom he can say he coached up from their freshmen year. Believe that was the argument before AT (and Potter again) proved it wrong--we needed Chase (yanked after 5 minutes) for the future. Which we do. Just didn't have to sideline Arnaldo, one of the better rebounders in the nation, to do so.
Well, the best players were Potter, Toro and Maceo, all holdovers. Maceo gets to play because he can shoot 3s, but no doubt he is looking over his shoulder, wondering if he should risk his senior year at GW. Le   Toro, coming off as deep in our shallow bench as possible, only had a double-double with 14 points and 16 rebounds. Like Davidson, we clearly lose with Arnaldo.
But really, who could have foreseen this when he was one of the nation's leading rebounders at the start of the season, before he was relegated to being deep on the bench even when recovered from injury? With his tying Yinka's best 24 rebound, 20 point performance, how would a coach know what Toro was capable of?
  Potter is annointed by the coach and all here as our true savior. We pretty much can't live with Armel off the floor for a minute. Personally, I think we really need Armel, but he needs a rest sometimes and a few of his minutes could have been given to others to learn. But Armel Potter is now indispensable to JC.
Well, statistics show how the coaching staff disregarded Potter's ability in the early game.
 He was buried deep on the bench. Played one minute against Howard. Doesn't even show up in the box score against AU. Could he have been injured? Or just riding the pine? In any case, he played very little early on. Did Shawn Walker play something 35 minutes one game,more than a third more than Armel? Potter's emergence came at the Bahamas tournament. 
   So, yeah, there was a bias toward freshmen.
But we didn't have to sideline good players and good people for development, only to overdepend on them later. There were always reasonable minutes and more for Jamison, JNJ, and Chase. The lack of judgment must be noted, if we are to be honest. It's not a fatal flaw in what can turn out to be a really good youngA-10 level and beyond coach, but it's not a good look and cost us games this year without really helping for the future.
  The Toro situation speaks volumes. He literally gives us wins from the third string. We will very likely lose him next year, because the memo he wasn't wanted has been umistakeably sent special delivery.
  And perhaps an insider here could tell us what JC's plans were for our savior Potter coming into this season?

2/20/2020 4:15 pm  #74

GWRising, JC had maybe 7 months between the time he was hired and the start of the season to familiarize himself with all of his players, including AT.  AT started 17 games as a freshman, 27 as a sophomore.  He was third in the A10 in offensive rebounds as a sophomore.  He had 3 double doubles in 7 games as a junior.  Your points notwithstanding, JC had to have had some idea of what he was getting in AT before the start of this season.

Keith, nobody is suggesting that injuries haven't played some factor.  It's the erratic use though that makes it difficult to believe this is only about AT's injury.  Starting in UMASS:

DNP vs UMASS
6 minutes vs. Fordham (grabbed 5 rebounds)
DNP vs SJU
Davidson...this was going to be a DNP as AT did not play in regulation.  In the overtimes, he played 13 minutes, scored 11 points and grabbed 6 rebounds.
9 minutes vs Richmond
3 minutes (garbage time only) vs SBU
DNP vs URI (not on the bench)
22 minutes vs Geo. Mason
33 minutes last night

So, he was effective in limited play against Fordham and then did not play the following game.  Then, he helped win the game against Davidson, where he was extremely effective, and then barely played against Richmond or Saint Bonaventure.  More minutes the last two games but still playing behind Chase and Ace with the presumption being that AT would have received few minutes these past two games had Chase and/or Ace played better.

I can't speak to how hurt he was or is, but he sure looked fine in Pittsburgh.

2/20/2020 5:03 pm  #75

GW73 wrote:

Wait. What? So it is OK for a coach to lie to folks in the Colonials Club and lie about a player's condition? I hope not. That doesn't mean a coach has to reveal all details of the team or a player, but it isn't fair to players or fans to outright lie and say a player is fine when he has an injury. But if we have coaches who lie at Colonials Club, let's just not invite coaches to Colonials Club. Once again, there are plenty of ways for a coach to answer the questions without lying. It would be the same if we had reporters from the Hatchet -- or even the Washington Post -- covering us and asking questions of the coach. I would not want a GW coach lying to the press, fans or players.
Finally, we all know--
1) Toro was struggling and was injured.
2) We wouldn't have won against Davidson or last night without Toro playing as well as he did.
3) Toro has proven he deserves more playing time.
4) How many games we win two or three years from now compared to how many we win this season is much more important to JC's career as a coach -- and I hope GW fans.
 What we don't know is how much the injury affected Toro's ability.  
What I hope we all want is GW off the bottom of the A-10, not as just a middle of the pack team, but competing for the A-10 championship. That means this season is about developing the freshmen, recruiting for future teams and, maybe, just maybe, beginning to develop a winning atmosphere.
Thanks for reading. Drive home safely....  better yet, take public transportation.

Oh wow. Now we've taken the conspiracy theory to lying. Can we just stop. Nobody lied. Nobody has a right to know anyone's health status just because he or she happens to play a collegiate sport. Yes, a healthy effective Toro deserves to play but how much depends on the opponent, the scheme and how well Paar is playing. For whatever reason earlier this season he was neither healthy or effective. Perhaps he is healthier now and therefore more effective. 

2/20/2020 5:11 pm  #76

I think the rotation and minutes have a lot to do with the analytics as well.  Coach does not just look at the individual analytics but groups that play well together.  We may think one person should get more minutes but if analytically he does not impact the game as well as others, he may not get as much court time

2/20/2020 5:14 pm  #77

jf wrote:

Thrilled with two wins in a row, and it absolutely should be three on Saturday.
Turns out winning feels good, and is actually good for morale, recruiting, and even us lowly fans who support the program.
But that doesn't mean you have to be blind to really odd player rotations this season. Some of us have been calling for Toro to play more (he could have hardly played less) for a long time. Frankly, it is and was bizarre and disturbing judgment from a young coach who has a lot of promise.
It sure seems like JC is favoring his recruits, including those from Mojo whom he can say he coached up from their freshmen year. Believe that was the argument before AT (and Potter again) proved it wrong--we needed Chase (yanked after 5 minutes) for the future. Which we do. Just didn't have to sideline Arnaldo, one of the better rebounders in the nation, to do so.
Well, the best players were Potter, Toro and Maceo, all holdovers. Maceo gets to play because he can shoot 3s, but no doubt he is looking over his shoulder, wondering if he should risk his senior year at GW. Le   Toro, coming off as deep in our shallow bench as possible, only had a double-double with 14 points and 16 rebounds. Like Davidson, we clearly lose with Arnaldo.
But really, who could have foreseen this when he was one of the nation's leading rebounders at the start of the season, before he was relegated to being deep on the bench even when recovered from injury? With his tying Yinka's best 24 rebound, 20 point performance, how would a coach know what Toro was capable of?
  Potter is annointed by the coach and all here as our true savior. We pretty much can't live with Armel off the floor for a minute. Personally, I think we really need Armel, but he needs a rest sometimes and a few of his minutes could have been given to others to learn. But Armel Potter is now indispensable to JC.
Well, statistics show how the coaching staff disregarded Potter's ability in the early game.
 He was buried deep on the bench. Played one minute against Howard. Doesn't even show up in the box score against AU. Could he have been injured? Or just riding the pine? In any case, he played very little early on. Did Shawn Walker play something 35 minutes one game,more than a third more than Armel? Potter's emergence came at the Bahamas tournament. 
   So, yeah, there was a bias toward freshmen.
But we didn't have to sideline good players and good people for development, only to overdepend on them later. There were always reasonable minutes and more for Jamison, JNJ, and Chase. The lack of judgment must be noted, if we are to be honest. It's not a fatal flaw in what can turn out to be a really good youngA-10 level and beyond coach, but it's not a good look and cost us games this year without really helping for the future.
  The Toro situation speaks volumes. He literally gives us wins from the third string. We will very likely lose him next year, because the memo he wasn't wanted has been umistakeably sent special delivery.
  And perhaps an insider here could tell us what JC's plans were for our savior Potter coming into this season?

You have a future as a fiction writer. Either that you aren't very familiar with college basketball because players moving up and down the bench and minutes fluctuating happens most places. Coaches play the players they think will help the team the most. That is dependent on a variety of factors such as past performance, opponent, scheme, health. You seem to forget that Potter played in the opener at Towson. Didn't play very well. Nobody did. Perhaps Potter not playing for a few games thereafter was a reaction to that. Perhaps not. But he was given another chance and not buried. Then, he made the most of it. Perhaps Toro is now doing the same. We will see.

Bottom-line is this team is vastly improved over a year ago so JC must be doing something right. 

2/20/2020 5:14 pm  #78

PKGW wrote:

I think the rotation and minutes have a lot to do with the analytics as well. Coach does not just look at the individual analytics but groups that play well together. We may think one person should get more minutes but if analytically he does not impact the game as well as others, he may not get as much court time

BINGO. Give the man a prize!

2/20/2020 5:27 pm  #79

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, JC had maybe 7 months between the time he was hired and the start of the season to familiarize himself with all of his players, including AT.  AT started 17 games as a freshman, 27 as a sophomore.  He was third in the A10 in offensive rebounds as a sophomore.  He had 3 double doubles in 7 games as a junior.  Your points notwithstanding, JC had to have had some idea of what he was getting in AT before the start of this season.

Keith, nobody is suggesting that injuries haven't played some factor.  It's the erratic use though that makes it difficult to believe this is only about AT's injury.  Starting in UMASS:

DNP vs UMASS
6 minutes vs. Fordham (grabbed 5 rebounds)
DNP vs SJU
Davidson...this was going to be a DNP as AT did not play in regulation.  In the overtimes, he played 13 minutes, scored 11 points and grabbed 6 rebounds.
9 minutes vs Richmond
3 minutes (garbage time only) vs SBU
DNP vs URI (not on the bench)
22 minutes vs Geo. Mason
33 minutes last night

So, he was effective in limited play against Fordham and then did not play the following game.  Then, he helped win the game against Davidson, where he was extremely effective, and then barely played against Richmond or Saint Bonaventure.  More minutes the last two games but still playing behind Chase and Ace with the presumption being that AT would have received few minutes these past two games had Chase and/or Ace played better.

I can't speak to how hurt he was or is, but he sure looked fine in Pittsburgh.

Familiar enough to start him the first three games of the year. Then what happened against Morgan State? He got injured. I think there might be more than 1,000 witnesses to that if you can't recall.

Since then and maybe not until recently he has not been completely healthy, And even as recently as the Mason game he came up limping on a play and was taken out but returned.

So Gwmayhem let me ask you this. Can you tell us in the games he played little or not at all, what his practice status was prior to those games? Was he a full participant or was he limited or absent? I would suggest you learn the answer to that question and perhaps your opinion will be changed somewhat. Also, how did he play in the practices that he participated in even if healthy enough to play. Did he look like he could go 100%. Not that Toro had great lift before but if you watch him closely he has very little lift now and way less than he had as a sophomore. I'm just not sure he is completely recovered from the hip and ankle injuries he has suffered over the past 2 years. Only JC/Staff and Toro know the truth.

2/20/2020 6:29 pm  #80

AT healthy enough to win games, then not healthy enough to play significant minutes, but healthy enough to play. Then when Chase and Ace not effective, healthy enough to play a lot and resulting in wins, We get it.
And Potter, who played a whopping 8 minutes vs. Towson, 1 min against Howard and then the apparent Did Not Play/Coach's decision.
Tell us the insider view of coach's plans for Armel, long our savior, who can't even step off the court for a minute when healthy?
This is relevant to Mason game because Arnaldo was the third big man off the bench. And we only have 3 big men healthy.
In addition to the basketball, which makes zero sense, no matter how it's explained, there is a decency component of giving someone who has stuck with us and played through pain a fair chance to receive playing time he's earned.
Beyond one question, not interested in pursuing point/counterpoint with a couple of people. Want to know what a wider audience thinks. Sure seems like odd usage of player deemed healthy enough to play.

Board footera