GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2020 4:36 pm  #1

Injuries and illness -- more this season?

I have been watching us for 50 years -- except for a few seasons in late 70s and early 80s --and I don't remember a season with as many players out with injuries at different times during the season. I can remember in previous seasons losing one of our best players for the compete season or almost complete season, but never so many players for so many games. I was surprised yesterday to see Walker in street clothes. And we could have used some depth yesterday. I count Toro, Langarica, Walker, Potter, Harris, Paar, Offrum, Mittola and Williams all missing games this season because injuries or illness. Am I forgetting someone? Does anyone remember a season with more players out with injuries or illness? Wish we knew more about the injury/illness situation. 

2/23/2020 6:08 pm  #2

Re: Injuries and illness -- more this season?

The 1-27 season saw GW play a tournament in New Mexico with seven players in uniform including Max Blank who was battling injuries and probably should have sat the trip out (Frankie Williams started, which tells you something). Upon returning to campus, the coaches brought in some walk-ons and intramural players to fill the roster. Injuries were a big reason that team went 1-27 instead the 9-19 they would have gone if full strength.

2/23/2020 6:30 pm  #3

We need to get a Matthew Johnson level Strength and Conditioning coach again.  He was a real loss when he went to Butler.

2/23/2020 9:19 pm  #4

Thanks, GW Alum Aboard. I figured there were plenty of injuries in the 1-27 season. I have tried my best to forget that season.

Board footera