GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/29/2020 10:45 pm  #41

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

Woof. That was hard to watch. VCU had a different energy from start to finish. Armed has been so good all year, without a doubt our best player. Today he just didn’t have it against the press and half court trap. 

Announcers said that JC is planning on converting Jameer to point in the off-season. That’s all fine and good, but will we have another ball handler on the team? I guess Shawn Walker?

3/01/2020 12:32 am  #42

Said during the game and long before, don't understand the substitutions. Are we going for the win?
Experience? Think we should do or have done some of both. In either case, playing Armel 40 minutes game after game (in addition to raising huge questions about the coaching staff's pre and early season judgment) is not great for him or us.
Give Armel a breather. He may be the only guy who would be best honored Senior Day for his tremendous performance this year by not starting, so he can get some well deserved rest.
   Armel was not hugely effective to say the least today and has had a great deal of turnovers in the last two games. We've been wearing him down. This doesn't develop anything for the future and doesn't help.
We can slide JNJ into the point for a few minutes or more in what little is left of the season. Rather he sink or swim when it doesn't count, unlike the start of this season. And we get or should have gotten some rest for poor Armel.
DMV summed it all up very nicely.
 Missed foul shots, especially short, at the end of games and players clutching their shorts indicate you should have bought them a minute or two (or more ) of rest when you can.
 We don't have much left, but substituting even walkons for a possession before a media timeout or playing walkons when you are down 25 with less than two minutes to go, is not only the right thing to do, it brings a little rest for March, which brings a new season.
  Oddly, we heard Toro didn't get the playing time he deserved because we are building for the future. In the offseason, we can discuss the bizarre playing time and substitution patterns.

3/01/2020 12:34 am  #43

And Mezie, who no doubt gets the hint like Arnaldo he is not wanted, could have gotten a few minutes if not for him, again for us to rest the other guys playing all game.

3/01/2020 10:44 am  #44

Penny Elliott:  My fuzzy recollection.  January 20, 1982 v #3 Virginia at the Smith Center.  I believe he made one of two opening shots to give GW a 4-0 lead, but then Virginia ran two alley oops to Ralph Sampson for thunderous dunks over Elliott in the next few minutes (pretty sure it was Elliott and not frosh Mike Brown)  and it was game, set, and match.  We lost 80-54.

3/01/2020 11:03 am  #45

Thank you Merrick.  Yes, Penny Elliott was a solid but unremarkable transfer to GW in the early 80s.  Damn.  Was that really nearly 40 years ago?

3/01/2020 1:46 pm  #46

LSF, on your comment about Battle’s shooting percentage, it’s definitely gone down as he has become THE focus of opponent’s game plans.  Most of our conference opponents are all over him and he is sometimes rushing it when he gets a sliver of opportunity.  Frankly I’m impressed that he’s shooting 37.9% from three as a freshman with as much as defensive attention as he gets.   If the newcomers can be offensive threats, I think you’ll see his percentage go up (and if defenses continue to shade to him like this, then at worst his gravitational pull should open up shots for others even more).  His defense, while still shaky, is much improved since early in the year, just as his rebounding end ability to drive into the lane are both well improved over November.  I expect those improvements to continue.

3/01/2020 2:48 pm  #47

I wasn't really concerned so much about his shooting percentage, only to suggest that his numbers, while good enough, was offset by his deficient efficency.   And although I agree with you about his improved rebounding and ability to drive into the lane, I am just not seeing the improved defense that you are.  He is not quick enough to guard the shooter or strong or quick enough to guard the driver.  These areas are in need of fixing for next season.

Board footera